How's your day?

What are you going to make using the sewing machine, Lizzie?  All I've ever made are cushion covers, but I used to do a lot of knitting and crochet

• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• DJ360

• philmayfield

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Solid oak wheel completed and Myford given a thorough clean and oiling. Saved loads of fine oak sawdust for fish smoking. Brisk 35 min on rowing machine and making progress. Pub with son in law before dinner. He had cycled here so we were both thirsty. Kissed great granddaughter before she was taken to see the towns Christmas lights. She does not know yet that she has a little brother or sister on the way :cool: 

• Like 1

Well I dug about 2'6" down just outside the back wall where I imagine the soil pipe should be.  I've got below what looks like the concrete 'raft' that I think the house is built on.. but no pipe. I've found a bit of what looks like mortar benching, which might be covering a pipe as its sort of curved , but it's not really heading in the right direction. Have also dug up all the turf I laid over the manhole cover in the lawn and lifted the cover.  Soil pipe is definitely discharging into it, but if you follow the direction it seems to be coming in from .. it's all wrong.  I think somebody's been having a laugh... 

I'm wondering if we can just abandon the old pipe, seal it off inside the wall and just lay a new pipe in a new trench and break into the manhole cover at a slightly higher level?  Probably Regs against it, but I bet it's done a lot by people installing extra drains.  Just have to see what the Plumber says when he turns up tomorrow.

Meanwhile.. Mrs Col is busy not throwing anything out of the old kitchen cupboards....

Col

3 hours ago, MargieH said:

What are you going to make using the sewing machine, Lizzie?  All I've ever made are cushion covers, but I used to do a lot of knitting and crochet

Nothing exciting Margie, I’ve been trying unsuccessfully to find a valance for a ‘European size’ bed. I then remembered I had a larger one tucked away in a cupboard so I altered it to fit.  I made 26 pairs of curtains at our previous house but these days it’s not worth the effort.  I can only machine in straight lines, nothing fancy! 

Mrs Col does very nice patchwork.  She's made whole quilts out of hexagonal patches, though her current favourite seems to be table runners made with a sort of chevron patch..

7 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Nothing exciting Margie, I’ve been trying unsuccessfully to find a valance for a ‘European size’ bed. I then remembered I had a larger one tucked away in a cupboard so I altered it to fit.  I made 26 pairs of curtains at our previous house but these days it’s not worth the effort.  I can only machine in straight lines, nothing fancy! 

Now I think about it, I made a couple of pairs of curtains over 40 years ago but they weren't lined, so that was relatively easy.  My mum used to do a lot of sewing (and knitting) and made all my clothes until I was about 13, apart from my winter school uniform.  She made the school summer dresses from the specified pattern and fabric, as did many families.  

When I was a very little girl,  she cut down some of her adult dresses to make mine.  I can't imagine anyone doing that these days.   

Col, I'm pleased you mentioned the word 'plumber'.  You seemed to be doing so much physical work around your soil pipe, I was worried you might be planning to do everything yourself!

I use my sewing machine quite a bit,usually turning old trousers/jeans with wornout knees into shorts for summer cycling,I have also repaired the pocket linings and patched my overalls after the fronts were damaged when I've been welding

Rog

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, plantfit said:

I use my sewing machine quite a bit,usually turning old trousers/jeans with wornout knees into shorts for summer cycling,I have also repaired the pocket linings and patched my overalls after the fronts were damaged when I've been welding

Rog

Is there no end to your talents, Rog?  

22 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Speaking of Ben...  Where is he?  :unsure:

Not seen since Nov. 11th...

Col

Anyone know if he's OK and perhaps just at a Marsden`s re-union or a security conference somewhere hush-hush?

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^^Ah the smell of flux, better than perfume:blink:

Sounds like your sparky is the same as my lad, he has his mums genes lucky bugger. Many the time I had someone say "Your not going off and leaving the lad on his own again are you?" My reply went something like "No I going off and leaving my 31 year old man to carry on without me."

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

There's some copper pipework going on here this afternoon! Whiffs a bit. Me new boiler and filter are smaller than the old one. Electrician looks about 12! Must be gerrin owd! :blink:

Nah we age well, Jill.  Must be something to do with the number of shocks we get over the course of our careers. ;)

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Chulla said:

Getting back to the photo of me at work, the chap looking over my right shoulder (fourth from left) used to sing in the clubs and pubs. Can't remember his real name, but his stage name was Tony? Ross.  He sang in the Sinatra style. 

In the 1980s and 90s there was a singer doing the rounds of pubs and clubs who operated under the name of Dennis 'Sinatra' Moss. I saw him once, and it was strangely fascinating. Could that be your man ?

Jill,

Now the jobs under way just a heads up on a couple of points most people don't know and that sometimes get forgotten.

Don't forget to ask your man if he has injected inhibitor into the central heating system, it's one of Baxi's requirements on their guarantee.

Also they require the system is commissioned correctly and the commissioning certificate is filled in you will find this two pages from the back in the installation manual, make sure it is signed and dated by your man.

The system must also be registered with 'Gas Safe' the local authority will then sent you  'compliance certificate' keep this safe as you may well need it if you ever sell your home.

Finally to keep your extended warrantee you will need the boiler inspected/serviced every year and again the service record next page to the commissioning certificate must be filled in.

Hope all goes well Colin

• Like 1

Thanks, NBL. He has explained all this and really seems on top of the job. I've been impressed by the way he works. No lunch breaks, hard graft all the time and sheer enthusiasm for his trade! Nice to see in this day and age.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I've been impressed by the way he works. No lunch breaks, hard graft all the time and sheer enthusiasm for his trade! Nice to see in this day and age.

Let's hope he doesn't leave a mess, otherwise you will need a scrubber, Jill.

Big day today!  The rubbish skip is due for delivery early afternoon. Washing machine died last week so it will be put out front next to the skip and will no doubt be removed by the 'Skip Fairies' , along with No.1 daughter's old bike., the old stainless double drainer etc. Just hope the Skip Goblins don't try to fill the skip with their rubbish before I do with mine...  They're invisible you know...

Dishwasher is nearly new, so will have to go in garage until we can give it away/flog it.  New slimline built in job will replace it. New built in washer too.

Kitchen is being ripped out tomorrow and I'll be taking all wall tiles and floor tiles out straight after. Almost looking forward to that.  Just bashing the tiles off with a bolster chisel and hearing them break on the floor.  Very cathartic...

Then I have to carry on trying to make space in the garage for the electrician to work..

Frankly, the more I'm occupied between now and Christmas, the better.  Hate this time of year and just want the shortest day over with then see the new year in and look forward to Spring.

Col

• Upvote 1