DJ360

How's your day?

IT'S OFFICIAL!  According to the met office, last Sturday Wick (Caithness) had the hotteest day of the year so far. Temperatures reached a heady 20.7°C. Phew!

Hope you put factor 50 suncream on. Sunburn hurts.

• Like 1

I went out for a bit this morning, got back and let boys out. Went out with them and then noticed them both sniffing something in the (very long) grass. Thought it might be a bee so started going across to rescue it when I saw something run from them down the side of the conservatory and hide in (what is left - see older posts) of the blackberry bush. Couldn’t see anything so herded them both in. A bit later they asked to go out again and they again found something in the grass. When I got to them it was a baby sparrow so I got them off it - it was being thoroughly sniffed but not hurt - only for it to run and I couldn’t see where it was and was worried about treading on it. Anyway I managed to get them reluctantly in.

I kept an eye on where it was and saw the parents coming in to feed it through the afternoon so left it alone. Then they wanted to go out again I think really to have another inspection of their “find” more than anything else. My back garden is a triangular shape and it had moved right into the point behind the line post so luckily they didn’t see it. There were however two very anxious sparrow parents in the privet that overhangs my garden getting very concerned and swearing quite loudly.

Now they want to go out again having been fed and I don’t know if it is still in garden or not. If it is I don’t really want to touch it as the parents are looking after it and my boys won’t hurt it unless they or I accidentally stand on it and it is safe as no cats come into my garden having been seen off by my boys. I think I once read somewhere that you should leave baby birds where they are as long as they are safe so am in a bit of a quandary what to do.

This was supposed to be a relaxing afternoon with my podcasts and doing my new crochet project (just learned a new stitch) but has become quite stressful as I keep an eye on my new sparrow godson! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Finding baby birds - from the RSPB site:

Seeing baby birds on their own is perfectly normal, so there's no need to be worried. These fledglings are doing exactly what nature intended and left the nest deliberately a short while before they are able to fly.

However tempting, interfering with a young bird like this will do more harm than good. Fledglings are extremely unlikely to be abandoned by their parents. Just because you cannot see the adult birds does not mean that they are not there. The parents are probably just away collecting food - or are hidden from view nearby keeping a watchful eye, or even being frightened away from their youngster by your presence. Fledglings should be left where they are, in the care of their own parents.

Read more at https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/how-you-can-help-birds/injured-and-baby-birds/baby-birds/#ufADcHxFwUvZu0m9.99

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just had boys out again, he is quite safe where is so am leaving well alone and keeping them away. Not easy to do as he seems so vulnerable. Hopefully will see him fly away in a couple of days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

All Hail to Staverton girl,  the big white hunter !!

Beer brewing nicely and now it's time to get out and do a bit of weeding in the tunnel.....well, maybe a cup of tea first, eh? :)

Lily my black and white chihuahua found a lizard under her water bowl the other day ( ( I posted about it). Now when I changed her bowl I gave it a good wash as she was continually sniffing at it. Not one bit of good she still sniffs at it so I changed the bowl. It was ok for a day and a half now shes started again. The thing is as she sniffs at the bowl she continues to sniff in line with the walls or the furniture. I'm sure theres been some more lizards in the house but try and catch them.:wacko: You think you've got one but then it drops its tail and its away again. Years ago I was getting into bed and found one under my pillow. It was ages before I went back to sleeping in that bed. We have many things that come into the house during the summer that I walk round with my eyes looking down at the floor. A few years ago I was woken up by hearing banging, My husband found a snake in the bathroom and was trying to knock it out with his slipper. He finally got it and flushed it away in the toilet. We have quite a lot of snakes in the orchard at the back of the house. One day I was hoovering  the floor in the kitchen and knocked the skirting board which was a bit loose and out shot a baby snake. It frightened the life out of me. Managed to shoo it away and outside before the dogs got it.

• Upvote 1

... and I moan about an occasional moth in the kitchen...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It seems my sparrow godson has flown the nest (well the garden really). He was practising flying this morning up and down the garden in between feeds before I went out. Came back and let boys out who hunted all round garden for him to no avail. I have been and had a look in his favourite hiding place and done a general look round of garden and can’t see him. Very relieved mission accomplished:jumping:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Brew so do I, and flies , mosquitoes and wasps. We do have mosquito screens but we have to open doors occasionally. I have a bead curtain up to the kitchen door because its near the front door, it does help as its in continuous movement.

16 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Brew so do I, and flies , mosquitoes and wasps. We do have mosquito screens but we have to open doors occasionally. I have a bead curtain up to the kitchen door because its near the front door, it does help as its in continuous movement.

Reminder to self, book holiday in Italy.   Skeggy ...

• Like 1

Guilty as charged your honour 

After first night in the new bed I awoke far too early but refreshed. 

I want to fit a new power socket in the bedroom so that there's one each side of the bed for bedside lamps etc., rather than the current arrangement of an extension lead.  Due to the lie of the underfloor joists etc., I reckon the best bet is to go from under landing floorboards, using either original 15A wiring, or by breaking into one of the hefty new 'feeds' installed when the kitchen was renewed.  I'm not entirely sure how to tackle this...  Where's Benjamin when you need him?  I almost got around to lifting landing carpet and floorboards , but  decided I was too tired and achey after recent exertions.  Even Mrs Col said 'if you don't feel like doing it.. leave it 'til you do...'

So, I reluctantly spent the afternoon in a prone position on a conveniently placed sun lounger which just sort of happened to be there.

A couple of times I got seriously excited and spent as much as two minutes 'dead heading' Geums, Dahlias, Nicotianas and Dianthus.

Early evening, I went to my car and fitted the new 'genuine and original' floor mats on which I have splurged £16.  Adequate they are.  Genuine and original, they are not.

Life is riveting at present.  :)

• Upvote 2

Power points are never in the right place in the right situation. When we moved into this house we had new wiring and thought ' this is where we need this , that and the other so put them there'. Furniture and kitchen arrived and the power points were where we said but the kitchen furniture hid a lot of them. Called the electrician back to place them where needed. In the bedroom we had points either side of the bed then we changed the bedroon around and we only had a point on one side, so extentions were needed, not very satisfactory as an extention was needed on the cables of the bedside lamp. We need to put everything in its place then have the wiring done or not?

• Upvote 1

One can never have too many power points. Get an expert in. It's less stressful, and safer.

Oh dear. After all the beautiful dry and sunny weather we've had lately, it's raining this morning. Which means I've got to undertake a job I don't relish, but desperately needs doing. Washing all the bird pooh, leaf sap, moss, green algae, muck and any other general detritus from the greenhouse.

At least the rain will have loosened some of it. Buckets of suds, long handled plastic brush thingy, then the jet wash. Simple eh ?

I just hope it clears up in time for those who've arranged outdoor fêtes, galas, tea parties and other assorted get togethers. 

If it’s from just one side of the bed to the other it’s hardly worth the hassle of putting in an extra point. Surely an extension cable will be largely hidden. Alternatively, for tidiness you could use mini, self adhesive trunking and clip the cable into that. Life’s too short for perfectionism!:biggrin:

10 hours ago, DJ360 said:

original 15A wiring, or by breaking into one of the hefty new 'feeds'

Col unless that is a typo I'd suggest you get someone in to do it for you. There have not been 15A circuits for many years and breaking into  a 'feed' needs careful consideration. 

Questions:

'Feed' cable size

Is the feed a ring circuit

Do you need a fused spur unit

What size cables are you installing

Fuses or breakers - what size

There are other things to consideration as well

Electrical faults are a major cause of fires - please be careful.

Fly its ok having loads of power points but theres always the temptation to use a few together and our electricity won't take it. Think I said before we only have 3 kw in Italy, some have more but in this area thats all we have. At the moment I have 2 dehumidifiers on a couple of fans ,( due to the humidity to dry the floor after its been washed.) the washer, fridge , freezer, lights as everywhere is shuttered up and its dark to keep everywhere cool. If I was to put an electric kettle or the oven on the meter would trip. Believe me its a niusance and it took me ages to get used to it after living in UK but you do get used to it and I've learnt to boil a pan of water for a cuppa on the gas. smile2

• Upvote 1

Phil we did do that but the extentions we had weren't long enough. Our beds are a lot wider than beds in UK. We have a night light and one bedside lamp.Here when its dark its dark, we have the night light or else we walk round feeling our way. They put up a street light last year but its a bit far away to light us up.

Nonna, you need someone in the back garden on a pushbike with a dynamo and make em pedal like there's no tomorrow. !  :dancingN:

On new installations this side of the pond it's a minimum requirement of outlets per room, so if one had a very large bedroom, say 14ft by 16 or larger, you'd have at least two outlets per wall, maybe more, 7 per circuit, no more under code. Ring mains are unheard of, highly dangerous too.

When I was in mining, ring mains on the main high voltage circuits were pretty common, one electrician at Cotgrave died due to it and he made a very silly mistake. When I was at Clifton, our engineer wouldn't hear of a ring main, way too dangerous he stated and had it isolated at the most inye side of it, leaving two independent circuits. Outlawed in Australia too for the same reasons, too dangerous.

I've asked around this side of the pond and fellow electricians have never heard of a ring main, I cannot find anything in the NEC code book either on the application of them, so presume banned here.

Brew, 15A was just force of habit from way back.  I of course meant 13A.

I'll be installing 2.5mm flat twin and earth, as used in all original power socket  installations here. It's unlikely I'll need to use the new 'kitchen feeds'.

All upstairs power sockets are fed from above, in the loft.  Sadly all of that wiring is no longer easily accessible as it is buried under insulation and loft boarding. Even if it were accessible in loft, I'd be into dropping a wire through a stud wall and thus having to break into it at several points to get wires past 'head' and 'sole' plate and who knows how many noggins.

So, I think my best bet is to identify wiring under first floor that is 2.5mm, running to an existing socket and use a junction box to take a spur from it. As I understand it this is legal.

Years ago I fitted a dedicated ring main into a spare section on the distribution board, which is conveniently positioned on the other side of the wall from where my hi-fi sits. I wired that with 30A cable, as was the 'audiophile' thinking at the time, though it is fused at 13A. It only fed a high quality Crabtree double unswitched socket.  I soon needed more for the hi-fi so fitted another 'ring', also on 30A cable but feeding 5 double unswitched Crabtree sockets.  It went into the same section of the old fused distribution board. When I had the board replaced a year or so back, I asked the electrician for his opinion and he said my work was fine. There was space for each 'ring' to have its own section of the board.

Perhaps Ayeup you could ask these experts just what it is about a ring main that is so 'highly dangerous', I'd be very interested to know.