DJ360

How's your day?

That's where it all gets a bit silly. If the driver talking to a passenger is banned will they ban passengers talking to the driver? Will the charge be 'Driving whilst moving ones  lips'? Listening to the radio and tapping the wheel in time to music.. If it means making more money from the motorist they will find a way I'm sure

And what about the police themselves talking on the radios? Or are they above the law?

I'm no longer amazed to see people who seem incapable of talking to their passenger without looking at them.

My last car had bluetooth which sort of worked.

My present car is older but better.  It doesn't have bluetooth.  But, I have a device which clips to the sunvisor.  If I get in the car for a long journey I can switch on Bluetooth on my phone. and it will 'pair' with the device.  then, any incoming call can be answered by pressing a button on the device and I then chat hands free.

If I use Satnav on my phone, I set it up for the journey before starting, and I then use the sat nav as 'audio only'.  It sits on the passenger seat and tells me what to do.  Having been married for 47 years.. it's a system I'm familiar with... :)

I have wi-fi on most of the time on my phone, so that my 'net based' comms are a via by broadband and router and means I don't need a big data allowance.

Access to Google, to this site and others are straightforward from my smartphone, but I much prefer to use a PC as I like to type more than a 'Tweet'  Some may have noticed... :rolleyes:

49 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

I much prefer to use a PC as I like to type more than a 'Tweet'  Some may have noticed... :rolleyes:

Really?? wow the things you learn on Nottstalgia is amazing...:P

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Waddo said:

And what about the police themselves talking on the radios? Or are they above the law?

They're excluded from that particular law.

BUT should their use of the phone/ radio have been found to be a contributing factor to an incident involving them then they could be prosecuted just the same as anyone else.

Just the same as running through Red traffic lights.

Interesting day yesterday.  

First.. a parcel ordered through Amazon failed to land so I contacted the supplier who immediately refunded me, but did not offer to re-send the item.  This makes me wonder...... Since there was no real tracking.. maybe they use cheap postage and see this as cheap enough to cover their losses?

Maybe they never posted it in the first place and just hope many forget they've ordered and payed for stuff?  All a bit odd. I ended up re-ordering it from a better known company.  Same price.

Second.. After an exchange of numerous emails.. I finally seem to have resolved my issues with Flickr and may soon be able to post pics again. ...

However... as I got on the PC to complete my transaction with Flickr.. the monitor.. which had been functioning perfectly..while Mrs Col played Mahjonng for hours suddenly went crazy. It's a HP 24 inch monitor slightly over  2 years old. I'll try again tomorrow but I suspect it's finished...  Such stuff is rarely economically repairable.

I had to install an old.. 19" Samsung monitor which works.. but is naff and seems tiny.  Amazing what you get used to...

Anyway.. Bahh...

I'll leave the Humbug till later....

I have recently repaired an 'dead' 24" monitor for a friend. A new replacement  monitor £110, parts to repair £27 The downside, the part (cfl driver board), had to come from China, the strange bit is the label on it - Made in Korea...

• Like 1

Too bl**dy hot.  Today was 42.7 and a forecast of 44-45 on Friday with a catastrophic fire risk.

Luckily we have not had any serious fires near us but the fires impacting NSW now cover an area the size of Wales!!

Looking forward the forecast for Christmas day is a sunny 30 deg. just right!

Want to swap for a bit of thick fog, frost, ice, damp, miserable dark UK weather, Oz?

This time of year really gets to me. My thyroid has gone haywire...always does around this time. Today, I could cheerfully commit murder, for no reason.  Thank heaven for Aussie wine!! :mellow:

• Like 1

Been Doctors this morning,,needed to speak about different ,,medications,,Young chap not seen before,,felt it was a waste of time...Could tell he wasn't listening to me,,,so to prove it to myself he wasn't i went into a silly speel about my non-existant boxing career,,,he was typing away on his lap-top whilst i was trying to tell him why i was there,,,my speel went something like this.........'''i'm thinking of packing the ''Boxing' in'' without looking at me he said ''yes''  i continued ''after 3 rounds i feel really tired''' ''yes,he said again'''  '''it means giving my over 70s title up,,but ive made my mind up'''  another 'yes'he uttered,,,

Suffice to say,,,i won't be seeing him again................:angry:

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Suffice to say,,,i won't be seeing him again..

If he's young Ben  there will be a senior around somewhere, I'd report him.

Waste of time, Brew.  They all cover each others butts.  They are not high on my favorite people list.  My doc taps away on his laptop, but I'll give him credit he does seem to listen between taps. 

• Like 1

I'm making another appointment this afternoon,,,,stating not with him,,,,

• Like 4

Got my monitor working.  Fired it up while not connected to PC o I could access menu. Did factory re-set and it's OK.. but a bit flickery.  Probably won't last...  Humbug.

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Been Doctors this morning,,needed to speak about different ,,medications,,Young chap not seen before,,felt it was a waste of time...Could tell he wasn't listening to me,,

You should've told him about your experiences with the ladies in your younger days. That would've held his attention.

• Like 7

That's expensive for a 24 inch monitor Brew!!! Mines a 24 inch Asus, and I paid about half the price, or less for it.

Adding to medical visits, I've  just had a phone call from Brighton General to tell me I  have to go for a colonoscopy and endoscopy. This is following a blood test which revealed I  have iron deficiency  and anaemia and they don't  know the cause yet. I've  been assured it's a precautionary procedure, but I  want to know why it's being done under emergency.  Happy Christmas eh !

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Got my monitor working.  Fired it up while not connected to PC o I could access menu. Did factory re-set and it's OK.. but a bit flickery.  Probably won't last...  Humbug.

I would suggest the backlight/s, there's usually two, are on their way out. It's not a difficult fix and quite cheap if  a bit fiddly.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

That's expensive for a 24 inch monitor Brew!!! Mines a 24 inch Asus, and I paid about half the price, or less for it.

Not really Ayup it's a Samsung full HD. There are cheaper ones it's true but he will only buy Samsung

To be fair, most of the Samsung stuff I've had has been reliable and good value for money.

59 minutes ago, Brew said:

I would suggest the backlight/s, there's usually two, are on their way out. It's not a difficult fix and quite cheap if  a bit fiddly.

Backlight hours are showing as 9145. I don't know if that's high, low or indifferent.  Might explain the flickering, but when it really kicks off, the whole screen is covered with vertical flickering lines and the lower 2/3ds so much that it's not possible to see anything, use menus etc.

Unlikely to be a connection issue as spare monitor works fine on same cable.  It runs off a switching 240 vAC > 19v DC power supply.  Checked voltage at DC end and it's showing 18v on my old analogue meter.  Can't find my new digital one... 

...found it....  Reads a bit over 19v..

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Adding to medical visits, I've  just had a phone call from Brighton General to tell me I  have to go for a colonoscopy and endoscopy. This is following a blood test which revealed I  have iron deficiency  and anaemia and they don't  know the cause yet. I've  been assured it's a precautionary procedure, but I  want to know why it's being done under emergency.  Happy Christmas eh !

I believe Ben had something similar - both ends - earlier this year, big brother. Nothing untoward found. Don't worry. Might find that gold watch you lost 40 years ago!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I If the screen is at its native settings and a spare screen has no problem the fault is with the monitor. 19v is fine. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a problem on the main board, or driver board for the screen, sometimes they are separate, most of the time all on the main board, sometimes you can find a test point marked with voltages where you can isolate the problem.

• Like 1