DJ360

How's your day?

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Icing sugar? I allus thought itwere talcum powder .

I should hope not. Talcum powder used to contain asbestos!!

The biggest constituent of talc is China Clay, I  used to go down to Cornwall to xray the china clay workers. It's  also used in tablets, on shiny wellies as well as on glossy magazines etc.

If the Turks like it so much they can have it.  Never liked it.

Always liked Fudge, though.  Nothing fancy,  plain old vanilla makes this dog happy.

• Upvote 1

"dried pods of the carob tree " AKA locust beans. They use to be sold on the pet stalls on Central Market. They tasted very sweet but smelled appalling when chewed - somewhat resembling merde du chien.

I think they were intended for feeding to parrots but I remember my dad buying them and expecting me to eat them.

Locust bean gum is used in the food industry as a thickening agent and roasted carob/locust beans are used as a chocolate substitute.

• Like 1

We used to call 'Spanish root' by the name 'Chewing wood'. If someone at Junior school had some, it got passed round for everyone in the group to have a suck/chew!  As an adult, I've always referred to it as 'liquorice root'. The chewing wood we had as children was much thicker than the thinlittle sticks you can buy today from the Herbalists/ health food shops

I LOVE Turkish Delight especially when my Turkish friend brings some back from where she lives in Turkey!

Despite the thoroughly atrocious weather, and the garden resembling Passchendaele due to the squirrels burying their peanuts, I was heartened by a full English breakfast and also by the English Rugby Team beating New Zealand in the semifinals of the World Cup. englandflagFantastic !

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

atrocious weather

Not wrong, been out in it since half eight soaked to my pants & socks, even me pen packed up! Glad the Reds was called off, we'd have got beat anyway :crazy:

It’s been a good day!  I watched England thrash the All Blacks (our son is over there enjoying it all), Forest have had a reprieve and more time to get their brains and bodies sorted after 2 defeats in the past week, and this evening we were at Theatre Royal to see our very own Robert Lindsay in ‘Prism’, brilliant acting.  Can we claim him as our own?  Well he did train at Clarendon even though he was an Ilkeston lad.  Now I’ve got an extra hour in bed before the Wales v SA game in the morning. Don’t care who wins that one, we’ll win the Final next week! 

• Upvote 1

Positive thinking Lizzie. Brilliant. Who we meet..... Who cares !

Oh, and to top it all, Direby lost. :yahoo:

Mrs Col away.  I've been playing a lot of music..including this album from Ana Moura..Portuguese 'Fado' singer. I have no idea what she's singing about.. but with Fado..it doesn't matter...

She's not quite 'up there' with the late great Amalia Rodriguez.. but I'd love to hear her in a Portuguese Fado bar.

Here's Amalia..

Snap DJ my other half is also away at our sons in St Ives for the week, I been abandoned and left to my own devices for a week how will I manage .  I will be able to do exactly what I want and not have to put up with Quiz programmes , Emmerdale and Coro, how will I manage?

To convince her I couldn't manage I phoned her at six last night , she was still travelling, to ask her what was for dinner, I had already eaten. Only another six days left with a phone call each day that means  I have to find six reasons to let her know how I cant manage and really missing her, if I find the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trogg said:

I have to find six reasons to let her know how I cant manage and really missing her

Ask six questions:

How do I get this black stuff off the inside of the oven?

Did you know tin foil takeaway dishes make the microwave go all funny?

What programme number stops the washing machine making shirts go pink?

Where do you keep the bleach?

If I needed to buy some paint what colour exactly was the kitchen wall?

You know how we used to have blinds at the kitchen window...……………….

• Like 5

Brew I would love to use those , but  I would miss seeing the look on her face and also risk the chance  of her coming back early. I will remember them and when see is out shopping one day I will try them, there are some pleasures in being retired.

• Like 1

Back home after two days in Whitby for the Goth festival, a lovely atmosphere and some fantastic costumes. We don't dress up our only concession to the occasion is to wear black, not very adventurous.  Maybe next year we might push the boat out and wear a hat something along the lines of a Victorian mourning bonnet.

• Like 2

Today I planted Snake's Head Fritillaries, and Alliums.  I also planted out a few of the Echinacea I grew from seed earlier in the year.  I think I may have left them a bit late, so I'll try some in the borders and pot on the rest and keep somewhere sheltered.   Also planted out Aquilegia I grew from seed.  They are pretty bomb proof.

Aguilegia are like weeds in my garden - they grow everywhere and I have to keep either transplanting the young plants or throwing them away!

Well sorted Brian.  The best man won mate!  Have a great day.  :-) 

2 hours ago, MargieH said:

Aguilegia are like weeds in my garden - they grow everywhere and I have to keep either transplanting the young plants or throwing them away!

I know what you mean Margie, but I only had that problem when Mrs Col brought the blue flowered one into the garden.  Aquilegia Alpina? That one has to be rooted out ruthlessly all the time, as do some of the 'crosses' between it and the large flowered ones.   I never had that problem with the large flowered long spurred ones I grew from seed decades ago and brought here from our first house, but the last of those expireed last year.

Thing is, I'm now going to have the problem of waiting till I see flowers before I know which ones to dig up!  :blink:

• Upvote 1

Today, while the boss is still away.. I have severely pruned the Hibiscus. It has a habit of sending up long branches which then drape themselves over a wide area of border.  If it was left to me I'd dig it up.. but Mrs Col loves it, so I'll probably get a lot of earrache when she gets back, but at least it's done, and I've driven a stake in close to what's left, so tha I can tie the branches in in future.

Thing is.. Mrs Col accuses me of killing things if I even go near them with my pruners... Yet everything grows back healthier..

I planted a small lavender bush about 5 years ago it now takes up the whole side of a wall, two years ago I cut it back thinking to thin it down but it just came back thicker than ever. Can the roots do any damage to the wall as in weaken the stone work, love the smell so I don't want to dig it up. The plant came from a local wood does that make it stronger that a plant from a garden center you will by now realise I am not much of a gardener.

In case anyone thinks I did wrong in removing the lavender from a wood it was being sold along with other plants to raise funds.

A Lavender bush should be clipped back after flowering Gem but not into the old wood.

If you don't do it every year it will grow big and leggie. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sue B 48 said:

A Lavender bush should be clipped back after flowering Gem but not into the old wood.

If you don't do it every year it will grow big and leggie. 

Thanks Sue, there are still a few heads in flower so will wait I admit my ignorance as I cut away into the old wood last time. In some places it's grows thickly others straggly, doing it properly this year should stop that.