DJ360

How's your day?

Of course not how could anyone? We make decisions based on the sum of our knowledge and experience

3 hours ago, DJ360 said:

we had it pretty rough and uncertain through the 70s,80s and 90s.

Whilst I wasn't in the UK from 75 onwards I still class my generation (baby boomers) as the lucky generation. When I left school in the sixties we had no difficulties getting employment and many chopped and changed jobs for a few pence an hour more. There were no major conflicts that really affected us in the UK and Australia had just finished in the Vietnam war when we arrived.

I really feel for those just setting out in life after school today, minimal job security, zero hours contracts, the expectations of extended, often unpaid hours. The way technology is changing the way we live and work and of course the cost of housing, and don't get me started on anti-social media and what it s doing to our society.

If I had my time over again I would want it to start from when I was born and could relive the sixties and certainly not starting from today.

• Like 3

Still a few quid to made off politics betting...but it's getting very difficult nowadays...unless your 

guaranteed to be stuffed, you are surrounded by Hyprocrisy.

I would never bet on football. but,

Why do they offer the long sheets on football...

I have never figured the logic behind these long sheet coupons...

for interest with my son I invested 12 pounds for fun..knocked back at the counter...the differential 87 and a  half pence on a double or more importantly would they have denied me the bet if the said 87p had been in their favour?

If the bet had been totally successful it would have cost them roughly 76 pounds...

Unlike any other high St shop, where the price quoted is the price you pay, price tags visible to the publc

why are they, the bookies the exception?

To answer my own question....market forces..a bookmaker at a local provincial dog track has more spine than these billionaires..

it's purely down to...we have got you through the door..

You have filled in your slip in good faith..

Will you walk away? when we deflate the odds, 

After making your winning selections?

You choose.....

Too be fair..it's a free coffee at my local.. wouldn't go over the road and to the magic sign ...they will sting you for a latte anall! 

;)

I'm with Oz on this one. Those born in the years after WW2 have been extremely fortunate on the whole. Certainly far more fortunate than our parents' and grandparents' generations.  I would not want to be a child today.

That said, I would not want to live my life over again either, although I would not do anything differently. If I did, I would not be the person I am and I have no desire to be anyone else!

I am well aware I have much to be thankful for and still, everyday, make a mental list of those things I am fortunate to enjoy. My mother brought me up to do that and did it herself, daily. She reasoned that focusing on the good things in our lives was mentally far more beneficial than dwelling on what we don't have. It's a philosophy I definitely subscribe to.

• Like 1

I’ve been extremely fortunate in my life. Strangely enough, the harder I worked, the more I studied, the more hours I put in, the fewer holidays I took, I became more fortunate. Luck never came into it.

• Like 2

HSR never having been in a bookies I have no idea what that's all about !

As for having a 'do over' you couldn't pay me in gold to go through my childhood and teenage years again...

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I'd like to go back and re-live my life differently. I'm quite happy where I've landed, and if I went back to start again, I'd be worried that I'd end up worse off than I am now.

• Like 1

Bad day yesterday going to the Birmingham Uni hospital. Rotten journey with road works and traffic but arrived just on time. Drove into the multi story main car park. Gridlock and no spaces! It tok 55 minutes, locked in and shuffling around before I was lucky enough to park - a young nurse collected her car just in front of me. Fortunately I am known to the staff and I was seen. £4.60 parking for 15 min with the audiologist! Why could the parking company not put a FULL sign outside? Maybe because revenue is increased with 10 cars on each level looking for places. They were probably making an extra £100/hour more than capacity for that period. 

It's Turkey Day! Or should I say Thanksgiving Day. Only us 2 and another couple, kids are doing other things, so didn't get the usual whopping great bird this time.  Turkeys are still the cheapest meat around, I paid 68c lb, frozen. 33 yrs ago, buying our first turkey over here,  we paid 25c lb, so hasn't really gone up that much over time.

• Upvote 1

@PeverilPeril Too many cars on the roads - It seems like every person over the age of 17 HAS TO have a car.  I know that cars are necessary for many but ....    come on, opinions invited!

Margie, if you didn't  have a car just think of all those meet ups you would miss? No galloping around Fenland either.

Not really much choice about going in the car Margie. It was a minor emergency with my implant and appt made just before I left in the car. I could have gone by train and bus but no time to plan. Even by train and bus it would have needed a car or taxi to the station. Some Nottingham people don't realise how lucky they are to have such an excellent public transport system.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, katyjay said:

It's Turkey Day! Or should I say Thanksgiving Day. Only us 2 and another couple, kids are doing other things, so didn't get the usual whopping great bird this time.  Turkeys are still the cheapest meat around, I paid 68c lb, frozen. 33 yrs ago, buying our first turkey over here,  we paid 25c lb, so hasn't really gone up that much over time.

Had plenty of Turkey days in my time. Wish I  could get things right just once.

If turkey was that good we’d eat it a lot more often. There’s nothing worse than the ordeal of eating turkey at Christmas and saying how nice it is just because it’s traditional! :biggrin:

1 hour ago, katyjay said:

I really hope you enjoy the day Katy.

Personally.. I've never been a fan of Turkey.  If it's poultry I much prefer chicken, but I'd put beef with roasties and sprouts way above.  Yum  :)

I often wonder why we don’t eat roast beef for Christmas dinner. Fortunately we’ve not bought a whole turkey in years, just a breast and just enough for one meal. A whole turkey can go on for a week before it’s disappeared and eaten in many guises from cold to curried. For me Christmas is a pain in the backside but then I’m a miserable old git!:biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Margie, if you didn't  have a car just think of all those meet ups you would miss? No galloping around Fenland either.

You might be right BK, but lots of people still use their car to go into Ely  even when there's a good bus service every hour from here.   I think it's because parking is free.  I know when you go to the supermarket to do a big shop, then a car is essential but not just to have a coffee and wander round buying a few items!

I don't know full details of the transport situation in Nottingham but there seem to be plenty of buses.  

'Gallopimg round fenland'. ... that would be brilliant as long as I could afford someone to saddle up a horse for me and give me a leg up!   I often think that old cities like Ely and Cambridge which were built in the horse and trap era suffer greatly because of modern day traffic.   

33 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

For me Christmas is a pain in the backside but then I’m a miserable old git!:biggrin:

Same here. I make a point of having spaghetti on toast, topped with cheese. I don't eat meat, haven't done so for 40 years.

All I'm interested in is seeing the snowdrops and daffodils springing up along with the return of the daylight. The winter solstice is my celebration day. It gets lighter from then onwards.

• Like 2

We don't  bother with Christmas either Jill. That's  why we come up at the begining of Dec., to meet up with 'er iindoors family and exchange gifts. Then we keep a low profile on the day. Losing our youngest boy at Christmas sort of took the edge off. We feel it then, having no grand kids,  but I've  mentioned this afore.

Margie, when we come up to Wroxham, we never use the car but catch the bus to Norwich, it's  easier. Still got my rubber brick, but promise not to lob it through your window.;)

• Upvote 1

I had spaghetti on toast for my lunch (only with a fried egg). My toaster had a lot of attitude today, it shot the toast out at high speed, one slice I managed to catch the other ended up bouncing off the worktop onto the floor. It has never done it before, gave it a glare and a severe talking to. Hopefully it will have calmed down tomorrow.

• Like 1

My toaster was designed by NASA. It could launch rockets. I never leave the kitchen when it's on...I'd never find the toast!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brew said:

HSR never having been in a bookies I have no idea what that's all about !

I like a little gamble, never bet more than £10. However I’ve not been inside a ‘turf accountants’ for years, I place my little bets online in the comfort of an armchair, in front of the racing channel.  A bit of fun, some I win and some I lose.  My grandmother liked to bet on the horses, she was always getting someone to nip out to the bookies to put a tanner on a horse!  

7 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Why could the parking company not put a FULL sign outside? 

I had to go to pick up my husband from Nottingham Midland Station the other afternoon and there was a barrier across the entrance stating the Car Park was full.  There were a couple of other cars sitting around the turning circle area outside the entrance but I couldn’t just do that as I had to get down onto the platform to meet him with his ‘old geezers pass’ to show the ticket collector, as he’d forgotten to carry it with him and the ‘jobsworth’ insisted on seeing it or pay £60.  The fellow on the train going to London in the morning never asked to see it though.  Anyhow, I couldn’t think of anywhere else to park so I zig-zagged around the barrier, got a ticket and found a space within seconds.  Others followed suit ......  I felt really pleased with myself.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brew said:

... never having been in a bookies I have no idea what that's all about !

Me neither. And never been remotely interested in wanting to.

I have also never bought a lottery ticket so wouldn't know what to do there either.

• Like 2