How's your day?

SG.  You wrote about  climbing plants.....    when my runner beans came through and started growing their little tendrils,  some of them were desperately trying to hold on to something - anything - except the canes.  I caught one 'holding hands'  with a nearby potato plant and another two hanging on to each other like best friends.   I gently disentangled them and showed them where they needed  to go and they seemed quite happy to oblige! 

I had a picture in my mind of their being scared little children trying to find  someone to hold on to....   why am I telling you all this -   I think I'm losing it .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

For my birthday I have been given an Alexa with a clock (the wonders of modern technology continue to amaze me) to go in my bedroom. I now have 3, so

a) She can now ignore me in 3 rooms

b) I can argue with her in 3 rooms
c) She can answer questions I haven’t asked and don’t have the slightest interest in   the answer in 3 rooms

d) She can play the podcast she thinks I should listen to not the one I want to in 3 rooms

e) She will be able to not understand something I ask for today that she understood perfectly the day before in 3 rooms

I just hope this one is as obliging as the one in my kitchen when it is set up. To be honest the one in my front room is a bit more awkward. Felt sorry for the Sky engineer a few days ago when my broadband box thingy was updated. It had a new password so he volunteered to sort out my iPad, phone and Alexa for me (age does have some benefits). The Alexa in the kitchen reconnected immediately, but the one in the front room wasn’t happy and just kept refusing to connect and switched itself off. She did eventually reconnect with my broadband but I always get the feeling she does things in her own time. 
As you can guess I am really looking forward to setting up my new one, just hope she gets on with the other two.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
49 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Proper little ray of sunshine aint yer SG. 

Keeps me going BK

You've just repeated ( almost ) what I've been thinking. I'll add to that too , why when I go to a shop and I know what I want and can say it over and over again in my mind then when I get there I feel foolish because I can't remember the name of the product. It happened to me this afternoon, good job the assistant knew me.:victory:

I was feeling a bit under the weather this morning but carried on with the cleaning I should have done yesterday.  When I'd finished I felt as though I'd run a couple of marathons and then some more. I went to lie down a bit and when I got up I went to do some shopping as my fridge was looking as though there was a famine. On my way back it looked as though it was starting to cloud over but the sun was still shining and it was very hot and sultry. When I got back towards home the sky was black and now I can hear the cannons that they shoot into the clouds to protect the grapes from damage. It looks very threatening and it's got very windy. One good thing though is that I dont feel so tired.

I can hear lawn movers and strimmers  going before the downpour. Lunch yesterday ours was cut yesterday. Hope you all had a good day .

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Beekay said:

Do you actually talk to real live people at any time SG?

I talk to Alexa all the time. :blink: Alexa put milk on the shopping list, Alexa put bicarbonate of soda on the shopping list etc etc.  Took my phone with me as it has Alexa's version of my shopping list. Items milk and buy carbonate soda. She gets some things wrong but I can usually decipher them but some are impossible to understand. It's funny but not when you need the item that she's not understood.

Alas I don't have that sort of phone or Alexa wotsit. I have discovered this wonderful method called paper and pencil. Both served me for well over fifty years. Admitted, I am using my tablet to create a shopping list for the purpose of online delivery slots, (only just mastered that !).

These all singing, all dancing devices scare the hell outa me. All this techno talk about streaming, vlogs, blogs etc just leaves me cold. What happened to thinking? Alright, I know I'm a dinosaur, but I prefer to stay in control.

By the way Alexa, put the kettle on and butter my toast soldiers. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Well said, Beekay!

Alexa? I talk to myself all the time. When I go to the shops, my memory tells me what I want or need to buy. I rarely forget anything.  Why do I need Alexa when I have me? :Kiss:

• Like 1

Well July 1st was going to be "PARTY DAY" it is my son n' daughter-in-laws 25 Wedding Anniversary, due to the virus we will just wave to each other. Another Party missed.

Technology is a wonderful thing, in its right place Jill. When and if I switch on my satnav, I can argue with that ! Technology tell me to go a route that I have probably been doing for years. You see all the adverts on TV for gaming devices etc of which I just don't get the concept of grown adults sitting on a settee, console in hand and getting all excited Asif their very lives depended on it. Lockdown has been a heaven sent gift for the armchair warriors. Alexa, order me another six pack of lager and a deliveroo of pizza.

As I don't have a sat nav or a tv, Beekay, I couldn't say.  I've enjoyed lockdown, if you don't count the sadness of the passing of a dear friend from cancer.  No one ringing the door bell. Utter bliss! 

With all the crap that's shoved out on TV nowadays, ours is not on very much. We've now been in house arrest for 104 days, which has given me the opportunity to wear out my paint brushes. I can't believe how much I have achieved since being on lockdown. Running out of stuff to do, hence painting a bean tin and. Fray Gentle flat tin, ( my neighbour said it would make a great ash tray, 'cheeky bugger').  Might have to contact Bigsis about painting stones. :rolleyes: I don't mind some of the documentaries that's on TV but when you see it on again a couple of days later, I despair. And now bloody football is back on tonight followed by Lineker holding post mortems on matches played a couple of hours before.

No Wimbledon this year, so what do we get? Bloody highlights of games of yesteryear. Better shut up before I'm relegated.

I've been watching a series of organ recitals on YT.  Put on by a young Dutch organist,  Gert Van Hoef.  He's just turned 26.  Very gifted.  He's put a series of concerts together, some on his home organ some in some of the old Dutch churches.  Makes an evening pass pretty quickly.  He's quite fluent in English as well as Dutch.  Pretty good cross section of music types.

• Like 1

I've been wearing out paint and paste brushes too. I've decorated just about everywhere! Moved all the furniture round. Hard work:nowt from IKEA in this house! Shampooed carpets. Spring clean just about accomplished.

Different brushes, same outcome Jill. To offer enjoyment and satisfaction of 'a job well done'. Being able to stand back and say, " I did that" !

19 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Well said, Beekay!

Alexa? I talk to myself all the time. When I go to the shops, my memory tells me what I want or need to buy. I rarely forget anything.  Why do I need Alexa when I have me? :Kiss:

Jill I could do all that and plus, but you're not as old as I am. This stage comes on you gradually but since lockdown started it got worse. I said I use Alexa for shopping lists which is handy if you're cleaning the bathroom and Alexa is in the kitchen. By the time I get to the kitchen to find a pen , I've forgotten, I just shout out "Alexa, put ....on the shopping list. Or when I have my hands wet or dirty or even in the middle of baking when I remember things or if I need to remember I had to make a phone call and I couldn't at that moment. Just stupid little things that I would be happy to remember but until my brain gets back to " normal service will be resumed asap" I'm quite happy with Alexa. I love her when she can remind me of the 50s and 60s and 70 s music. Most of the songs I can remember where and who I was with when I hear them. Working as a hairdresser I can remember clients names and what days they used to have their hair done. They say you can remember things from years ago but not 5 minutes ago. It's true, catch up Jill one day it'll happen.

BK I too was like you but I'm curious by nature and I find out and learn. 

Mary, so many of us have missed celebrations. We've missed our 50th wedding anniversary which we did think we could do it later in the year but now we are thinking of next year. We already had more than 70 family and friends coming down here some have had to cancel flights and hotels, so it really upset us that they had to be inconvenienced because of this virus. We are just beginning to see some results of us coming back to some sort of normality with a little bit more freedom by wearing masks etc. But we are still afraid of any new cases occurring and putting us back into lockdown. Fortunately in our village people are sensible even my sons and daughters restaurants are getting busier with people coming in from the surrounding towns and we are starting now with a few tourists who come back here year after year. They know they are safe here.

Great post nonna.   You are so right about short term memory becoming less efficient as one ages.   I know some people seem to cope with it better than others, but I suspect most people experience it more and more as they age.   Most just make a joke of it but it can be annoying and embarrassing when you can't remember names of people you've known for years, amongst other things.

Recently, I've   been helping a friend of mine with Maths ready for her NVQ Functional Maths Level 2 exam.  I love Maths (passed my O level Maths at the end of the 4th form) and I  like explaining how to do calculations - I did this for nearly 30 years working with special needs students in main stream Maths classes at secondary school.   I can still remember exactly how to do everything, but this Functional Maths consists of what we used to call 'problems' and there are about 8 parts to each of 3 question (up to 40 minutes is allowed for each question ). There is a lot of cross referencing and I found a few parts of the practice papers quite difficult to get my head around!   I suspect this is because of my age.    10 -15 years ago, I think I would have found it much easier.

Now .... where did I leave my cup of tea?

• Like 3

I'm sure you're right, Nonna. I am no exception to the rule.

Both my parents had phenomenal memories right into their 80s and the day they toddled off into the wide blue yonder. My father also had excellent eyesight. I'm almost 63 and don't need glasses as yet. I think genetics has much to do with it.

My older sister, 70 in a few days, has always had a poor memory and has needed glasses since she was 20. I must be lucky!

• Like 1

I subscribe very much to the 'use it or lose it' ethos. Amongst a daily regime of cerebral activities, soduku, crosswords etc I also set myself memory challenges. Amongst other things, I recently memorised the locations all the US states and their capitals, you never know when that might come in handy :wacko:.

• Like 1

I very much agree.

I love crosswords and codewords but they have to be difficult. I'll often memorise a piece of poetry each day and frequently mentally recite the titles of Shakespeare's plays if I can't sleep at night!

• Like 2

I like the Guardian cryptic and can sometimes get the Independent done too.

I suppose we have individual strategies, some folk could tell you the price of a pound of butter or how many boxes of Surf were in an outer in1966. :biggrin:

• Like 1

I shall have to try some of those methods. At the moment I'm looking and trying to remember where the contraption is for putting a tile in to prevent mosquitoes taking bites out of me ( yes I know they don't bite but it feels like they have big jaws) you see I can't even remember the names of the things in English. I put tile because in italian it's called piastrine and the contraption is called the elettromanatore. Now can you see that I couldn't remember their names:rotfl:

• Like 1

Poundof best Butter mrs TBI.........3/6.......Number of Surf in a box....12..........thankyou hows Mr TBI ?..Did he watch England win the World Cup ?

• Like 2

Not exactly a zapper but it's gives off a smell that repels ( that's the word I was searching for) we can't smell it though. The other night I had so many " bites" that at the finish after dousing them in lavender oil ( which usually soothes) I sprayed Autan all over me and my pillow. They don't like my husband it's only me they're after. We have a light that zaps them but it makes an awful crackling noise when they hit it. It reminds me of the electric chair in The Green Mile.