DJ360

How's your day?

6 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

a nice second hand bookcase and occasional table

If it's only a table occasionally.. what is it for the rest of the time? :blink:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mary1947 said:

I'm sorry but if you must call hairdresser's  then "Sweaty Betty's " is a term we call one salon stylist it is an old Hairdressing saying, you say you get blasted by the dryer have you ever told them, or your stylist that they are blowing you out of the chair,? If it's students or juniors they need to be told. I see you pay £7 50 what comes out of your £7 50 is rent, wage's, rates, laundry, insurance, wear and tear, of the salon and more. We  are just getting over being paid low wages and having to make it up with tips (if any client give one) we do train your hairdresser/stylist if qualified would have had to learn, basic face shapes, PH of hair, composition of hair,  properties of hair, hair chemistry, (ph) what happens when you apply colour and permanent waving solution, how it works on the hair, hair and scalp disorders, and many more, plus how to shampoo what shampoo to use, cutting styling, reception now added customer service. plus much more. 

The only thing that  I will say sorry for is maybe making a comment about the clippers NO!  this was not suppose to be a racist remark.If you took that way then i will apologise. 

yours m

Mary, all of my comments came about because I was frustrated at the three hairdressers' attitudes to CV. I wasn't having a go at hairdressers.

I'm quite aware of how business works and where costs are. I'm also aware of how people train.  I am a  qualified NVQ assessor too, (Advice and Guidance to Level III) as well as having worked with trainees in all sorts of occupations for 30 years when I was a Careers Adviser.

I pay what I'm asked to pay... plus a tip.  I don't set the prices.

For what it is worth, the woman who set up the Salon in question was a neighbour 40 + years ago when she was in her early 20s and I was in my late 20s. She was something of a famous local beauty and the daughter of a wealthy motor trader. On one famous occasion which I think i've mentioned here before.. I turned up for a cut on a very hot Thursday afternoon.  My neighbour and her assistant who was also very lovely, were both cutting hair dressed in bikinis.

I didn't complain.

A huge articulated wagon was crawling in traffic outside and the driver must have seen through the windows, because he pulled onto the pavement and came into the salon saying  "Give us a shampoo Luv.... It's hot as hell in that cab!!"   He was as bald as a coot.  We all just smiled and he got his shampoo.

Anyway, as I said.. her daughter is running things now and I'm not so impressed.  She is rarely ready to cut my hair when I arrive.  I arrive on time.  Yesterday she was almost 15 minutes late arriving at the Salon and then made sure she had a vape and made a couple of texts before she cut my hair.  I may look elsewhere when her Mum retires at the end of the month.  there's a perfectly good Salon a five minute walk away from my house.

Shall we declare a draw?  :)

5 hours ago, mary1947 said:

I would always defend my trade

So would I.. but I wasn't attacking hairdressers.  Some of my best friends and more than a few relatives are hairdressers, including one neice and a brother and sister in law.

5 hours ago, mary1947 said:

career advise at school used to say to girls who did not have much up there, oh, go into hairdressing which was an easy option.

I always defend my trade too.. You might have heard that from a teacher.  You most certainly would not have heard it from me in my 30 years as a Careers Adviser holding a Degree and a Post Graduate Diploma in Career Guidance plus loads other Professional Qualifications... and anybody on my team would have been in for a serious talking to at the very least if they displayed such attitudes towards young people.

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Pudding basins??? We couldn't afford pudding basins, it were a Tarantella tin.! As a little lad, I  used to go to a barber on Ilkeston road, opposite Bloomsgrove street. It cost about 9d.,till my mam heard about a bloke on Independent street, known as 'Tanner barber's. Trouble was, he only used hand operated clippers and not electric. It was a question of not cutting hair but more pulling it out ! OUCH!

When I was little, I used to get taken to a place on Boowul Main Street.  Somewhere on the left as you went towards the Market from the Adelphi.  The bloke was a vicious B****** and a bully.  He had a toy rubber hammer which he would hit you on the head with if he thought you weren't sitting still.  He might have thought it was funny.. but I didn't... and I always said to myself.. 'When I grow up I'm going to come in here and knock the Bleep Bleep out of you you Bleep'.

Sadly, he was long gone before I was big enough to get my own back.

Later, I used to get sent to Osborne's in Park Lane.. Basford.. near the junction with Brooklyn Rd.  1s 9d as I recall in the early 1960s.  He was a decent enough sort. Plenty of Eagle, and other comics to read while waiting. Sold fishing tackle too and once.. after a conversation about music.. he loaned me a Django Reinhardt LP.

IIRC, Ben said a relative of his lives in that building now.

DJ360 

I was also an NVQ.  Level 3 assessor and Salon owner,

So, yes lets call it a draw.

:Friends:

On 3/7/2020 at 5:51 AM, DJ360 said:

Last year I was out every evening on slug patrol and it took me weeks to find the worst culprit which was the biggest sodding slug I've ever seen. 

I took the shell off my racing snail yesterday to see if it would make it go faster, all it seemed to do was make it more sluggish.

• Like 1

When I lived at Snape Wood, I took a walk down to a barber shop on commercial road, (I believe there's one still there). Any road, as I sat in the chair, a young girl came in and asked they sold 'rubbers'? Barber replied, yes, which sort are you after? To which girl said "well he said he wants to be safe".,barber quipped, "In that case, tell him to wear two!!". Girl said OK and bought two and left. I were dumbfounded. Perfectly true, honest. B.

• Like 1

I thought rubbers were sold in packets of three.

Single men buy them in threes, for Friday, Saturday and Sunday night.

Married men buy them by the dozen, January, February March etc.

I went into the chemist’s and said ‘a packet of contraceptives please Miss’. She haughtily replied ‘don’t you “Miss” me!’ ‘O.K, make it two packets then’ I said.

Bloke went a shop and asked, "packet o 3 please", shopkeeper replied, "we don't sell em, try Boots".

Bloke said, "  I want to make love to her, not kick her to death "! (Olduns allus the best).

Can only see a code, Catfan.

On 3/8/2020 at 3:08 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Went into Mansfield early this morning

The demise of Mansfield started when they put in the ring road and built that abomination called Four Seasons. Mansfield Council has a lot to answer for.

It was further compounded by the loss of the hosiery industry, the progressive closure of the Mines and the supply chains of both sectors and the growth of out of town shopping centres.

The world has changed and will continue to do so unfortunately with it comes consequences. Mansfield market was unfortunately one of those.

19 hours ago, mary1947 said:

DJ360 

I was also an NVQ.  Level 3 assessor and Salon owner,

So, yes lets call it a draw.

:Friends:

:Friends::)

10 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

The demise of Mansfield started when they put in the ring road and built that abomination called Four Seasons. Mansfield Council has a lot to answer for.

I think the person(s) that designed Maid Marion way in Nottingham came out of retirement and did the Mansfield ring road.

• Like 1

Are saying that MMW was designed? I was colleged at PCFE whilst the abomination was being built. I thought it was just thrown together from random bits.

In the eyes of the person(s) at the time I'm sure they thought they were designing  it.

In the book 'Conservation Today' by David Pearce MM way was part of a proposed inner ring road that was never completed. It's interesting if not the easiest book to read and Nottingham and the Lace Market in particular are mentioned.

Youngest lad moved out yesterday, brought a house up Mapperley Top with his girlfriend, even though he’d spent a year studying in Prague & two years in student accommodation, this looks proper, he’s took his telly & PlayStation :Shock: the nest is well & truly empty :( just me & thee :Friends:

• Upvote 1

With the PS2 gone it has to be serious!

• Like 1

Before the new kitchen & bathroom went in & any carpets & furniture the first thing they had installed was broadband? Different times we live in? :crazy:

Different times indeed, one of the most asked questions I get is 'how fast is the broadband' and 'does it have cable'?

8 hours ago, Brew said:

In the book 'Conservation Today' by David Pearce MM way was part of a proposed inner ring road that was never completed. It's interesting if not the easiest book to read and Nottingham and the Lace Market in particular are mentioned.

I still can't believe that anybody thoght it a good idea to push a great big road like that through such a historic portion of Nottm.

I had a visit from my Granddaughter this morning and it was as usual the best thing to happen all day. She went on her way and a while after she had gone, I went for a piece of fruit from the table. Look at this little secret message that I found. Call me soppy, but I love that banana. Can't possibly eat it ..........can I?

DSCN1093.jpg

• Like 10