DJ360

How's your day?

New day, new moan.....it ain't arf windy out there this morning. I almost flew up the hills this morning on my bike but coming back was a different story. Stop pedalling and it was like an emergency brake application! 

:bluespin04:

YES   Compo  just couldnt sleep last night,,IVE only just got up 9.45,,,not like me,,last time i looked at my watch it was 6am...Think it was the effect of the  funeral couldnt get many of the people out my mind.

Or was it that you were trying to decide where to take the widow for a slap up meal and a few slow dances? 

• Like 1

LOL.....Yes Jill,could have been a bit of that as well.......

21 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

One thing about you, Ben, is that every pub you go into...in fact every nook and cranny you visit... holds the memory of one of your old flames. I marvel at your capacity to remember their names and addresses!  Damned if I can remember most of mine. Mind you, they were eminently forgettable!

I do tend to remember girls names from long ago,,,,only recall 'one' Jill.................It was when i was lodging at 'Big Maud's' in Coalville ,,,,Jill Spencer 1965,,took her to see 'Robin and the 7 Hoods'' at Whitwick Pictures,,,,lovely girl,,but had to go home at week-ends to see my girlfriend in Carlton,,and Sunday nights in the Bodega........:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Only one Jill?  Well, we're pretty rare creatures and very choosy!

Robin and The Seven Hoods? Great film. Frankie, Bing, Deano and Peter Falk. Don't Mess with Mr Booze!

One of my best friends at Junior school was a 'Jill'  and I had 2 friends at Harlow Wood who were also called Jill - actually one of them was 'Gill'.  Does that count?

No. Jill and Gill aren't the same. Gill is short for Gillian. My name isn't a shortened form. My mum didn't like names being shortened, so she called me Jill.  Ted Sparrow, my paternal grandfather could never spell it correctly. Always thought it was Gill but used to call me Gilly, which I detest!

There was one Jill at primary school with me and several Gillians at Grammar school. The name seems to have fallen out of favour.  My older sister wanted to call me Wendy!  I'm so glad she didn't get her wish but I'll wager Ben's known a few!

Wendy Nugent,, Arnold,,met her in Anstey Leicester,, Bradgate road,,at her cousin Janes house,,1962,,

She enjoyed thursday afternoons in a rowing boat down the Embankment,, 

• Like 1

You seem to have led a sheltered life Ben.:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Beekay said:

You seem to have led a sheltered life Ben.:rolleyes:

Bus shelters, air raid shelters ........

Bomb Shelters?

Apparently, there is a psychological condition called hyperthymesia or some such label. It means people can recall in vivid detail events in their lives from decades earlier. I can recall what happened virtually every day of my schooling, games in the playground and entire conversations. I can also look at black and white school photos from in excess of 50 years ago and remember the colours of the clothes everyone is wearing.

Ben seems to have the same ability.

Apparently, sufferers are usually somewhere on the autism spectrum!

I think the midwife dropped me on my head. What's your excuse, Ben...apart from testosterone overload?

• Like 2

My eldest brother were bit like that, although due to his stroke, he had short term memory loss. He could remember way back in the late 40s etc, but couldn't  recall what you told him half hour earlier. ( RIP Keith)

Memory a funny thing,,i can recall just about 100% every one o old school photos and the like, from the 50s ,but i have a photo of work colleagues from about ten years ago and i struggle to name hardly any,,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

No. Jill and Gill aren't the same. Gill is short for Gillian. My name isn't a shortened form. My mum didn't like names being shortened, so she called me Jill.  Ted Sparrow, my paternal grandfather could never spell it correctly. Always thought it was Gill but used to call me Gilly, which I detest!

There was one Jill at primary school with me and several Gillians at Grammar school. The name seems to have fallen out of favour.  My older sister wanted to call me Wendy!  I'm so glad she didn't get her wish but I'll wager Ben's known a few!

Friend of mine in Aus' married a Jill.  I always thought it was a short form of Gillian.

Well known lady organist was Gillian Weir.  Not sure if she's still alive.  There were no Jills in my early school years.  I've always thought of it as nice name for a lady.

• Like 1

I find my long term memory is much better than my short term.  I have vivid memories of school years and early dating and courting years.  That's why I wish I'd learnt to play an instrument years ago.

Since my stroke short term memory is more of a problem.  I probably would have a hard time in Nottingham in these days as probably many of the places I remember in detail no longer exist.

• Like 1

Last week, I was talking to a chap who was at Berridge with me from 1963 to 69. I reminded him of a game we played with a few others in the playground when we were 5 years old. I also described the clothes he was wearing, down to the red Start Rite sandals with the cut out pattern over the toes.  I can even remember the conversation. He had no recollection of the game or the clothes. I felt like a freak! 

I think women are generally more 'clothes' oriented than men.  I know I have lttle memory of what folks were wearing at any given time.

If we're  still on 'Hows your day' , then after my failed Colonoscopy, I've  been called to my local hospital, (where I work) for Colon CT scan, on the 22nd of this month. I believe  it's  referred to as Colonography. Hope I  have better luck this time. I'm  sure somebody on here had the same procedure. At least it's  not down at Brighton, nothing wrong there but the parking is bloody horrendous. Told my wife and the friend who took me to drop me off and pick me up later. At least I can drive myself there as the procedure is not so invasive. If anybody can offer advice or reassurance, I'd be eternally grateful. B.

I’ve had a few of those CT Scans Beekay, no problem.  You just have to lie still, breath in, hold your breath for a few seconds and breath out when the lady inside the machine tells you to.   Good luck on 22nd, I’ll be thinking of you. 

• Like 4

I agree with Lizzies opinion Beekay. Two years ago on the beginning of my Colon investigations I had a Colonography,  it was as Lizzie says, not a problem and no after effects. Fear of the unknown is sometimes the worse part. If you want to read up on the test, I typed in...( Colonography NHS Site) you will get a good honest explanation from them. I only ever use the NHS site for information, no other. Best Wishes Beekay.

• Like 3

Thanks gang. Much appreciated. X

• Like 2

I've never had a CT scan, nor a problem with my colon but I hope all goes well for you, big brother, on the day.  I believe Ben established that if you chat up the nurses, you get a cup of tea afterwards!

• Like 1

All the best BK ,,,Think ive had gadgets and scans up/in/down all my orifices,,,non are pleasant...my worst is every 3 months a visit to my consultant,,which includes a Camera up my nose,,absolutely awful.........but i do get to choose which ''Nostril''..........lol

• Like 1