How's your day?

1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:

there must be a way but I can't quite see it yet.

On ours you have to push up not pull down and they swing out. On a previous AEG they were hinged and it was necessary to use something like a small screwdriver to prise one edge down.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

It's not often I put personal stuff on here so here goes, a few years ago I found a woman daft enough who would marry me , some of you have met Margaret at some of the meet ups and yesterday was the d

Posted Images

So true, Col.  I sometimes struggle getting cash or a card out of my wallet.  There is a lack of feeling in my right hand.

Food no longer tastes as good as it used to.  I just don't care about eating.  Lost quite a bit of weight.  Gets my blood pressure down anyway.

I am more emotional than I once was.  I can get angry and frustrated just trying to get my right shoe or pant leg on.  I lack patience.  Even buttoning my shirt is an exercise in frustration.  It can reduce me to angy tears like a kid.

A lot of other subtle effects.  It is just the new normal.

Just re - read the above post after a night's sleep.  I didn't mean to be a whiner, and I am quick to apologise if I get a bit snappy.  I struggle with what the stroke has done to me but I also realize that I'm not getting younger.  Something was bound to get me sooner or later.  I am also truly blessed compared to some poor folks who are struggling with worse conditions than mine.

• Like 5

No need for apologies LL. With all you have going on it's pretty amazing you manage to stay as positive as you do. I seriously doubt I would cope as well.

• Like 2

With you all the way Loppy...we are of a similar age,,,and although (i think) led a very different life...we i'm sure had a similar outlook to life in general,,,mostly being happy and up beat.........but must admit this last few years as took its toll on my deeper feelings,,especially the last ten or so.

I tend to have very little patience and do grumble a lot more,,mainly due to little health problems,,some littler than others,,,manage to make a joke of em most days,,but now realise some days should have stayed in bed,,,

• Like 2

Yes I try to keep busy.  Out weeding the front flower bed this morning.  Chatting to a few neighbors.  (from a distance.     :biggrin:)  I'd rather die working than in bed or my rocking chair.

• Like 2

To both Loppylugs and Ben, I'm sure you've found it's nice to have Nottstalgia to let off a bit of steam without upsetting too many people :)

The internet lets you tell everyone what's happening, the problems you face, and how you're coping.

As a result, you get sympathy and understanding rather than glares and shouting !

• Like 7

I have enjoyed NS since the day I found it, Cliff.

When I got on the plane in 1970 I doubted if I would ever see it again.  I did, I came back for a visit several times over the years.

Wherever I have lived I have never found a people with  quite the friendly attitude and outlook of many Nottingham folks.  Though I doubt I will ever meet any of you, you have all brightened my life in one way or another.  Thanks for being there.

• Like 8
9 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Just re - read the above post after a night's sleep.  I didn't mean to be a whiner, and I am quick to apologise if I get a bit snappy.

Loppy, what you describe is I think known as 'Emotional Lability'  It certainly affected me for a while after my small strokes.  Fortunately the worst has passed over time, though I still have my moments.  There's a description in the link below.. though it seems to describe the more extreme version with hysterical laughter followed by crying etc.  My experience was much more subtle and low key.  I wish you well.

• Like 1

Same here, Col.  I become more emotional when reading of someone elses troubles or feelings.  I often play Bach's 'Come Sweet Death' while my tears blur the music.  It wasn't like that before, but I remember he lost his wife.  He didn't even know she died until he came back from visiting another city.  I have a sense of how he must have felt.

• Like 1

More than can  be said for the Nottingham man who drove to London for a loaf of bread, 240 miles round trip ...... idiot.  Bet he enjoyed the drive up the empty motorway though, at 110 mph. 

• Like 1

Daffs/Narcissi going strong.  Tulips just coming in.  Some small Snake's Head Fritillary are flowering.. apparrently they will get bigger over the years.

Alliums, Aquiliegias, Delphiniums and lots else all 'stirring'.

Could be worse.

6 hours ago, loppylugs said:

I just can't imagine the M1 empty.

I remember back in the 60's as a kid running across the M1 in the Nuthall area, always quiet in the early days of the motorway. Seem to remember crawling through pipes under the road as well?

Still busy decorating. I'm terrible for buying wallpaper. Buy it and salt it away. I've found rolls of wallpaper I didn't know I had!

If the police had raided my house, they'd have found lots of bags of white powder. Don't get excited. It's wallpaper paste!

I can keep going for a long time yet and it's rather therapeutic.

• Like 2

Sat here this morning wondering where to go today. So far have walked the pennine way, bagged all the highest peaks, 

cycled round the M25 and so on. Think I might just stay in, seeing as how I'm well over 70 and under house arrest. Spent Monday converting all 10, 1 hour programmes of "Band of Brothers", to dvd. When I finally finished, 'er indoors remarked, "Oh, so that's what you look like". Over the last three weeks, I have converted over 300 hours of vhs. Looking in the bathroom mirror, I realised I'm growing a beard ! Should be just right for my Christmas job, as it's a nice shade of grey. See Carni, you're not the only one who can waffle.  :rolleyes:

Edit...Decided to make a start painting my milk churn, but bugger! got no base paint.

• Like 2

Wilkos is still open up here BK, are they down your end? Would  they sell the paint you need? I was about to ask if you’d made a start on the churn ......

On 4/6/2020 at 10:02 AM, Brew said:

On ours you have to push up not pull down and they swing out. On a previous AEG they were hinged and it was necessary to use something like a small screwdriver to prise one edge down

There is a Nottingham connection to our range hood, The name of the Manufacturer is RobinHood!  Not game to prise anything due to risk of cracking.

Now all I have to do is find a model number and then I can download the "destruction manual".

We do have a Wilko in Burgess Hill, but if I'm in lockdown and can't go out for food, I'm hardly likely to travel a 14 mile round trip just for a tin of paint. I don't think that paint constitutes as emergency supplies. I might have to cadge some wallpaper of Jill Sparrow and paper the churn. I'm  quite adept at decopage. 

• Like 1