DJ360

How's your day?

Not long back from Wilford Hill.

Wife’s aunt died a few weeks ago and was buried today. She was 97 and Served in the RAF during WW2 after being put in a gulag by the Soviets.

She had meticulously planned her funeral, which should have taken place at the Polish Church on Sherwood Rise with an honour guard of Polish scouts and attended by the Polish Consul.

Instead, there was no funeral, no mass, no wake, and only four close relatives and the priest to see her being put in her grave. All because of this bloody virus.

But we can all say a silent prayer for her Rob.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

How sad Rob L . My sincere condolences to your wife. 

Been a worrying sort of day today. My mum is in residential care in the village. We have covid19 cases in the village ( 5 ) and 7 now 8 cases in the home. We've been unable to get in touch with the director until yesrday. My husband spoke to the director who said ' she didn't know how my mother was , ask the head nurse ' Being the director she should know everything , so we think she's been trying to tone it down. He spoke to the head nurse and she confirmed that mum was fine. Today we've heard all sorts of stories. Someone who works in the home has set up a WhatsApp App for everyone that's got a relative in care. In the meantime my daughter heard from someone who worked there but lived in the near village ( not ours ) who was rushed to hospital with cv and through her we've been able to find out exactly how mum is. Thankfully she is well. They have separated victims from the other guests so hope this virus doesn't run riot. Piemonte now has a higher level of cases, probably due to some who think they won't get it. 

@Rob.L  that's really sad for your wife.  Please give her my condolences.   Perhaps there can be a celebration of her life when all this is over?

@nonnaB  as you say, you've had a worrying day.  I hope everyone in the home will now stay safe and well.   Take care of yourself, too.    Thinking of you xx

Thanks Margie et al. There certainly will be something organised to celebrate her achievements, including getting the Polish equivalent of the MBE only last year. It will no doubt include plenty of vodka!

There may also be something taking place at the Bomber Command Memorial Centre as she was quite heavily involved with that too. Her first husband was a Lancaster navigator in 300 Squadron, and her second husband had a wide ranging career in aviation. He started on Lancasters, was one of the pilots used for The Dambusters film, then flying search and rescue helicopters in Malaya during the conflict there. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Wow.  She and her husbands certainly had eventful  lives....

Rob, you have my thoughts and condolences. It certanily sounds as if your wife's aunt had a life lived to the fulllest.

Nonna, I know how relieved you must feel. It is a very worrying time for all.

I continue to be amazed that, even being so close to Italy, there are no reported cases in Grasse or the surrounding villages, including mine and only relativly few in Cannes - more in Nice, though, which is much more of a commercial city.

Best wishes to all in this very worrying time.

• Like 1

Yes it was a relief but still worried of what the next few weeks will bring. Good news for you though being away from it all. Perhaps the French in your parts are sensible enough to keep to the rules. It only takes one to dither. We thought we were safe here in our village until someone decided otherwise. 

This morning a resident in the care home has been taken to hospital. Don't know yet whether it's one that has been confirmed positive or a new case. Monday a team is coming from Turin to take tampons from residents and staff. That way we are sure everything is being done correctly.

Today has brought a big change in the weather. Swapped my straw gardening hat for the woolie beany hat and worked in the greenhouse - even cold in there.

Thinking about taking my car off the road - register as SORN and get some tax and insurance rebate. Only use it for fishing and trips to the tip and builders yard. 

Back to winter here in southern Missouri too. second hard frost this week, not normal weather for mid April. My Hardy Kiwi vines are all burnt off.

We're sitting sunbathing...sort of. But it's going to change within a few days. Bye bye sun.

Forecast is for another night of storms  and tornadoes tomorrow night.  its getting to be routine.  :wacko:

As though you don't have enough to contend with LL. A bit like kicking you when your down. Take care and stay safe. Beekay.

Previous 4 days fed up of pressure washing,  today to cold for me so fed up of watching westerns on youtube, roll on warmer weather. then I can spend my day applying sealant to drives and patio, what an exciting life I lead.

Well done Trogg, keep up the good work. I've finally started me next project, after the bathtub and water can. After two coats of rust inhibitor and two coats of primer/undercoat, I've begun decorating me milk churn. It's a big bugger! and takes some heaving around on me little trestle table. Do you think I shoulda emptied it first ? Will post as I progress. Hoping to paint a picture of Wollaton hall on the front. Here goes.:rolleyes:

• Like 3

Send a picture when its finished Beekay imean the milk churn not you with a hernia.

• Upvote 1

I have seen some of your previous projects Beekay , I wish I had your talent, if you have any photos of them post them so Ian Finn and others can see them. Paintings not hernias.

Will do Trogg, Ian. Have done the band at the bottom, now I've started the picture. Actually, I have a quite attractive Hernia. It's the talk of A & E.

Also got a presentable Hiatus Hernia, but that's another story.  thumbsup

At the next meetup, hope it soon, the wife will let me attend she said I am safe with you lot, we will have to swop stories on medical conditions and medications, lol

• Like 1

For the next meet up,   we'll have to book twice as many tables  and shout loudly to each other as social distancing will still be in place for a long time .... until they've developed a vaccine. And NO HUGS!  

1 hour ago, trogg said:

At the next meetup, hope it soon, the wife will let me attend she said I am safe with you lot, we will have to swop stories on medical conditions and medications, lol

I see your shoulder and raise you an epigastric hernia...   ;)

• Like 1

Does a pair of ingrowing toenails and stents beat an epi gastric hernia?

• Like 1

You get nothing for a pair... not in this game...;)

• Like 1