DJ360

How's your day?

I do admire the watchmaker's 'craft'.  My Grandad was something of an amateur watch repairer and my Dad collected pocket watches.  I have my Dad's 60 year old Seiko Sportsaman and my own 40 year old Seiko '5' self winder. 

I wouldn't have a Rolex as a gift, because I just don't like the styling and never have.  Good watches for sure but over priced and just not to my taste. 

My 'best' is a Rado Ceramica which came in about £1400.  Yes.. I know it's electronic.. but I bought it entirely for the style.. and the quality of the finish. My new 'daily' is an 80 quid Skagen which does the job.

My Dad had a beautiful solid silver wristwatch in his small collection.  I can't recall the make.  The case was a 'rounded square' and the watch was rammed full of Ruby bearings. I'd guess its age at 1930s.  I have no idea what happened to it.

I also have my Grandad's 45 year service watch from BR.  Apparently 45 years is worth more than lesser service span... not that I'll be selling it. The watches themselves aren't that special.  Timex.. in which the lovely chaps at BR specified a cheaper movement.. to save a few bob.  a good way to recognise decades of loyal service...:angry:

I hate 'dinner plate' sized watches with multiple dials.  Tat of the highest order..

All of three watches are 'pilot's' watches. I love all the knobs and dials. They're totally useless for flying though. For that I had a larger Breitling mechanical stop watch which fitted to my navigational chart board. I still use it for last minute bids on Ebay! My 'best' watch is an Omega Speedmaster Professional. Certified by NASA to be used on the moon. I've never flown that far though!

My best watch was an Omega special Olympic edition. didn't realise how valuable it was until it was stolen :(

I've never seen the point in expensive watches. I consider a watch as a convenient device to indicate the time so, as long as it can do that reliably and fit comfortably on the wrist, that's all I require.

• Like 3

I had my most recent watch since 1984. Earlier this year the strap started playing up and I couldn't wear it properly, so I was planning to get it fixed but lockdown put a stop to that.

For the last 8 weeks I've not been wearing a watch at all; the longest period in my life where I can say that. And I haven't missed it.

Especially recently, time doesn't seem to matter so much and has all blurred into nothing specific. If I really want to know what time it is I look at my phone, or computer, or whatever else is around.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I suppose expensive watches are much like expensive cars. All achieve the same function in the end. It appears to me that you live in a 'modest' chateau Jonab with, no doubt, extensive gardens. A chacun son gout! :biggrin:

24 minutes ago, jonab said:

I've never seen the point in expensive watches

There is no point. There is however pleasure to be derived from owning a fine timepiece and admiring it's aesthetic appeal.  Like phones and cars there are cheap and cheerful that will do the same job as those that cost far more - but would never sell if all we wanted was functionality.

philmayfield - touché :biggrin: but, I don't think a direct comparison can be made. A watch is a very private item whereas my residence is (generously) needed to accommodate four people and a dog plus any guests and visitors that come by (when they are permitted to do that).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonab said:

I've never seen the point in expensive watches.

It's whatever floats your boat though, if you can afford it. I confess to having a penchant for watches, I just like quality instruments.

I've worn a Breitling for about twenty-five years and it still keeps perfect time. I did get it serviced at the factory about five years ago, not that it needed it but they also do a complete refurb and it came back looking like a brand new watch. I've got an early '70s Omega Speedmaster, I don't wear it much, they're fetching silly money these days. Rolex sports watches only go up too, my Submariner I bought new when I retired ten years ago, I see them advertised 2/3 times what I paid.   

The thing is it's all relative, get the right watch and they will appreciate in value and ultimately cost you nothing.

I bought a watch in a charity 50p box. A new strap cost £5. It's kept perfect time ever since. I've always bought cheap watches cos' I'm always losing or breaking them. It's a bugger when the battery costs more than the watch. Been perfectly satisfied with my collection.

• Like 2

I've always fancied a Navitimer. I suppose I can afford it but I can't justify the expense! Can't take it with you I guess.

My late mother-in-law Flo gave me the 3 gold ladies watches she had. All bought at the same time by her mother in 1935. One for herself, one for her sister and one for her daughter Flo who was 15 at the time. At the time I was given them, may be 10 years ago, they all worked.  i checked them a few years back and one wasn't working so sold it for scrap. One I wore a lot as the expanding bracelet fitted well. Driving around New Zealand a couple of years ago, we wandered into an antique store and the owner greeted us and spotted my watch. He asked if it was a Rolex, I said it doesn't say so. He reckoned not all Rolex's have it on the face, so he took a look. No, he was disappointed but not me, it is a nice little watch anyway. The winder is getting hard to pull out now to turn the hands, took it to a jewellers to see if it could be fixed, they wanted over  $200 to fix it.Thank you but no thank you!  But it still works after 85 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I've always fancied a Navitimer. I suppose I can afford it but I can't justify the expense! Can't take it with you I guess.

I bought one in Port Said docks Egypt circa 1980. The chap selling it swore that  Allah would strike him dead if it was not genuine. He asked for  200 Egyptian pounds (£20) claiming it was only so cheap because he needed to feed his poor starving family. I offered him £5 and a bag of lentils but settled on £15. I still have it in a drawer somewhere, it's automatic and with a couple rocking movements still works

• Like 2

Some good copies can be found on Spanish markets!  

I was given a Rolex for my 50th birthday but since owning  a Patek I’ve rarely worn the Rolex and it lives in the safe, I ought to sell it really.   My husband  had 3 Rolex watches but gave one to our son and never thinks to wear the poshest one, probably best though seeing as he never thinks to take his watch off when he’s gardening or DIYing so it gets mucky and scratched.   He  found a really good chap who services ‘luxury’ watches but it takes him a long time and you have to keep chasing him.  His workshop is in  one of the gatehouses of Osborne House on the Isle of Wight so not exactly down the road but closer than Switzerland. 

That's called a Chavitimer Brew. When I was in business there were many who thought they'd 'arrived' when they had a gold Rolex and drove a Jag. I've had a few Jags but never aspired to a Rolex. Just a shade too flash for my conservative  image! 

• Like 1

For my 50 Birthday Master treated me to a Guccie. I had it about five years when it required a new battery, when I was told how much it would cost £45 for a battery I nearly fell though the floor. Same old story if you have to ask the price you can't afford it. I was lucky though I still have my watch with a new battery.

2 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

Master treated me to a Guccie

That same as a Gucci Mary :crazy: I have no bling bling, bling bling not my ting :huh:

• Like 1

Chavtimer… not heard that before -  like it. Like you I've had Jags but was disappointed with the build quality and Rolex have always been way too flash - quite like the Air King though.

Just now, radfordred said:

That same as a Gucci Mary :crazy: I have no bling bling, bling bling not my ting :huh:

But you have in the past boasted of the designer label clobber you lie to wear...;)

A watch battery costs about £2 and the tool for removing the back about £6. I've changed loads without problem. The more expensive watches have mechanical movements but a few have a battery. My Citizen Eco Drive has its battery charged by light and it automatically receives a time signal. Probably the most practical everyday watch I've ever owned. I've had it for over 10 years and I saved over £200 buy buying it from the Phillipines on Ebay. Not as elegant as a Rolex though but then nobody else sees your watch.

I have a obsession for Fred Perry polo's & Doctor Martins hardly designer clobber, more terrace/street wear?   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Brew said:

Chavtimer… not heard that before -  like it. Like you I've had Jags but was disappointed with the build quality and Rolex have always been way too flash - quite like the Air King though.

My last Jag, which I kept for its three year warranty period, went back to the dealership 8 times. I was sad to see it go as it was an F type but I couldn't live with the unreliability. Back to the Germans now sadly.

• Like 1

Haven't worn a watch for years.... and the last one I had was a cheapo from Argos I think it was.   I couldn't care less about cars - as long as they get us from A to B safely that's all I require!

I know I'm in the minority but I don't care about that :)

However, I obviously believe that each person has the right to own/buy whatever makes them happy (as long as they can afford it) 

In normal times I do like to support Charity shops and that's where most (not all) of my clothes come from.   I've never been a follower of fashion - I just buy what appeals to me at the time!

I'm  just a simple soul really and the older I get the simpler I become :laugh: 

As my mum used to say "It takes all sorts to make a world"

• Like 7

Couldn't agree more, Margie.  The more possessions we have, the more we worry about them. Maintenance, being stolen, getting damaged, etc. We just tie ourselves in knots worrying about things that aren't important.

My mother's maxim was that we should have enough for our needs and little else.  Material possessions have never meant anything to me. They're just a problem.  Each to their own but I prefer to keep it simple.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MargieH said:

the older I get the simpler I become :laugh: 

Love that, I always finish on my daughters Birthday card with "Love You, Stupid" always makes me chuckle.

• Like 1