DJ360

How's your day?

6 minutes ago, denshaw said:

When I worked on the buses, first shift started at 04.15 and finished at 11.30 AM, very nice especially in summer.

When at Bilborough depot, first out was no.55, Bilborough to Camberley road, Bulwell. Sign on time 04.59. Next, first 60, then 62/30.

Way back in the days before motorways we used to set off for our holidays in Cornwall at around 11at night.  Our driver, my uncle, who had a coal business, had just finished a hard day’s work so he was glad when he stopped for a kip on Dartmoor in the early hours of the morning. He had one of the very early gas fired portable stoves so we woke up to the smell of bacon frying. I think today, with much better roads, it will take just as long to get there because of the increased traffic volume.

Yes, Phil! Seem to remember early morning bacon sandwiches with just a hint of paraffin!

Well I went in Morrisons a couple of hours ago. There was this woman down one isle. I wouldn't say she was fat but the only way to practice social distancing was to go down a different isle! 

• Like 1

Thought for a minute Pianoman,  you were going to say, ' the only way to distance was through another store'.

Phil’s post earlier about driving to a family holiday in Cornwall brought back a memory of 45 years ago.  We lived in a small village just outside Banbury and my husband had a meeting in Edinburgh at 10am one day. He set off at 4 in the morning and got to his destination an hour early so decided to have a kip in the car, outside the offices.  He woke up 3 hours later!  Fortunately he was still able to have his meeting.   It’s fatal to shut your eyes! 

• Like 2

Water being shut off here in Ashfield............message is go to Asda sutton for free water.....wife away so its just me,,, 3 lady neighbours have knocked on me door to let me know......result is i'm taking showers with them and probably drinking coffee too,,,,just looking for me sponge,,,lol..............

I reckon you deliberately punched a hole in the water pipes so that you'd have to ask a number of ladies to come and mix with you.

• Such a martyr Ben :rotfl:

Nice thing aout working for an airline was coming off nightshift, breakfast in the airline's cafe in Toronto.  Run upstairs and hop a flight to Calgary for lunch and a coffee in the Rockies.

Rub it in why doncha! 

• Like 1

Lol.  Liked  it so much I ended up living there, but that was the last of my early morning flights.  Had to wok for a livin' then.  :biggrin:

Were you a pilot LL ?

2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Nice thing aout working for an airline was coming off nightshift, breakfast in the airline's cafe in Toronto.  Run upstairs and hop a flight to Calgary for lunch and a coffee in the Rockies.

Nice thing about working for the Corpo, ya got a free bus ride home for ya cuppa tea. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Were you a pilot LL ?

No.

I was an electrician at terminal two in Toronto.  The whole terminal was owned by Air Canada.  We looked after conveyor systems, lighting, and other electrics.  Also over at the hangars for electical equipment there.

Never touched the airplanes.  They were looked after by airplane mechanics.  We looked after the ground power generators that powered the airplane systems while they were parked.

• Upvote 1

That’s a bit of a coincidence. My wife’s cousin’s husband works For Air Canada at Pearson, but on the aircraft.

When I was there ten years ago, he showed us the “quick” routes around the terminals to avoid the crowds.

Enjoyed my night in the play tent (the serious guys call them Bivvies). The fishing was of secondary importance. Fading sun set and early sun rise with just 5 hours in between.Left the front of the tent open and enjoyed moonlight on the lake, bats, stars, country night sounds - made me wonder how many people experience these free treats? Until 2 years ago I stayed outside under the stars quite often. Have a few more nights planned :biggrin:

• Like 4

When we had a couple of teenage foster children in the mid 1990s, we used to occasionally sleep 'under the stars' in our garden.  We put a couple of large tarpaulins on the grass and took sleeping bags and pillows outside.  This was only in summer of course.  It felt quite magical as we saw several shooting stars....   and picked out the constellations  - a  completely different experience from sleeping in a tent!  (Probably wouldn't be allowed these days ... child Safeguarding and all that)

• Like 4

Rob L.  Small world.  Pearson was pretty big in the 70s when I worked there.  I think they even have a third terminal now.  Terminal one was where all the other airlines went  B.A or B, O.A.C as it was then, American airlines etc.  We didn't go in there much as it was Govt owned and we were Air Canada employees.  Govt had their own maintenance boys.   Terminal Two was known as Terrible two.  It was so long, half a mile.  We used to get our exercise walking up and down it.  Little security issues in those days.  we had an ID badge, but there was nowhere we couldn't go.  I really loved the job, but we just couldn't afford a house in Toronto.

Here I am, sat outside drinking my coffee and as you can see, it's rather quiet here where I live. Yet we have a neighbour who wanders about the site with a mask permanently on, even when she's sitting in her car. It's like a western ghost town, almost with rolling tumbleweed. Who on Earth does she think is going to infect her?? It's like Charity flag Day in Aberdeen !

IMG-20200601-113700.jpg

‘Aberdeen on a flag day’. It’s a long time since I’ve heard that delightful expression, although I remember as a child, my Scottish uncle not being amused!

• Like 1

Many years ago I picked up a couple of good quality deck chairs for ten bob each. This morning I went online to order some new fabric for them - it's £14 per bloody metre length and you need 1.5 m per chair! So, to cover two chairs I had to spend £46 for two lengths of fabric and enough upholstery tacks to do the job. Anyone would think that I've spent time in Scotland, moaning about the cost of things like this....no wait...

We always bought ours from Craven's in Hockley. Plain green or striped. 2'6 per deckchair length. Times have changed.

Personally I've never found deckchairs all that comfortable I'd much rather spend less and have a modern chair the one your fat ar,,, err the one that has broken..    smile2