DJ360

How's your day?

Mam used to talk about Terence De Marney, so that may have had an influence - him being good looking..........:biggrin:  Just looked at 77 Withern Rd on street view. Pity my parents could not have stayed there. Garden and bathroom. We had none of that on Peveril St.

• Upvote 1

I lived at 82 Withern in the 80's/90's

Rog

Mrs P staying at home today, :jumping: yesterday's gym must have worn her out, weather is drizzling so not getting the trike out either,I have some work to do in the bike shed and I want to make a reverse bracket holder for the drinks bottle on the trike, at the moment the bottle faces forward on the main frame but I want it to face towards the back which means the bottle pointing upwards and rear facing,to achieve that I will have to make a bracket,I have some aluminium strip to make it with,you can buy a proper bracket but the cost is silly money,I'll have to cope on me own,don't know where our Ben is, well thats my day so far,if owt exciting happens I will post about it but nothing ever exciting happens out here so will have to see, have a great day one and all

Rog

Stopped drizzling long enough to road test the new bottom bracket on the Raleigh meridian. Not kidding, the thing is over twenty years old and the old bracket came off like it was buttered on. And the new one only cost £8.99!

Whereas the Trek 3900 is only four years old and needed a new one a month ago. That cost me 18.99 plus another 10.99 for the Bergen breaker bar to shift the old one. Could hear this humming noise - it was my dad spinning in his grave at the cost!

Still, todays ride was pretty good - bit damp, but as dad used to say "character building"

Plantfit, if the bottle cage is troublesome, how about one of those fancy rehydration backpacks? only cost a month of your dads wages - Evans reckon they're a "biking essential"

going to dry off the bike now - and refill with some coffee

Phil

• Like 2

Last night I went to the monthly meeting of our local history society.  The subject was the 'Pretoria Pit Disaster of 1910'.  Pretoria Pit was near Westhoughton Lancs. 344 men and boys died in the disaster almost all on one level of the mine.  Of those on the lower level workings only one died. The speaker was called Alan Davies and he certainly knew his stuff.  He integrated period cine film, photographs, diagrams and even an audio recording of a survivor, made in the 1960s.  Fascinating stuff... if a bit grim.  I spoke to Alan after his talk and mentioned my association with Bestwood Colliery.  He immediately replied.  "Isn't that the one with the vertical steam winding engine?"  As I said...  Knows his stuff!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretoria_Pit_disaster#References

I spent a lot of time yesterday just making a big enough hole in my rubbish filled garage to allow for storage of two new ovens and a hob awaiting installation in the new kitchen. Today will see the start of further 'clearance operations'.  This will require a great deal of diplomacy, as Mrs Col has difficulty letting go af stuff, even if it is never used, or likely to be. ..

Wish me luck!

Col

• Like 1

Went to see the practice nurse today, Mrs C driving the wheelchair, "mind the pedestrian dear" & you got a good idea of her reply !smile2

Mind you back home in one piece !

• Like 3

Oldphil, I have one of those camelbak hydration thingy's,the thing is I can't have it on my back when on the recumbent,I have tried putting it in the pannier bag but the problem there is keeping it upright, thats why I use the bottle, your Raleigh bottom bracket is a good price though,is it the casette type or cup and ball? the trike is fitted with a Truvativ Firex crankset at £150 and the bottom bracket comes in at £50 but it's the seperate bearing type where you can just change the outer sealed bearings if needed, is the Trek bottom bracket a Shimano one,maybe a UN52 or similar,good brackets but when they've worn you have to replace the whole lot instead of just bearings,there's that many choices on the market these days it get all confusing  and more technical than ever, I'ts good you got out on the bike though,I'm hoping to ride over to Lincoln again tomorrow,weather permitting

Rog

The Raleigh is cup and ball. It was too far gone,. The new one is "semi cassette" - you can (carefully) pry off the cover to replace/regrease, so will try that once a year. Yes the Trek in UN52, which should last a bit - the Trek only goes out on trek days to Redmile or Sawley Marina, so not as much hammer.

I've yet to sort out the latest arrival, a Giant CRS - intended for shopping. Nice little winter project, I feel.

Envy you the Truvativ - seen a lot of their stuff on the Tredz website. Reckon it might be worth a go? I want the bikes to outlast me, so might be worth the extra pennies.

I think the Firex has now been discontinued from production but there might be a few in the shops,might be worth looking to see if they are being sold off a bit cheaper.

Is the CRS the disc brake version? all Giant bikes are good though I had  an OCR with carbon aeroblade forks lovely bike

Rog

A day of two halves for me...  this morning there was the happy chaos of the toddler group and this afternoon, a funeral for an elderly man we knew.   Beginnings and an ending....   

Looking at the happy excited little faces this morning as the children played, painted and sang songs, I felt a bit sad for them about the world they've been born into.   I hope they will be able to change the world a bit as they grow older - change it in a good way, of course.   I wish I could post the videos I took in the course of the morning so you could share in their happiness, but I'm not allowed to - Child Protection, Privacy and all that.

The funeral this afternoon just brought home to me how fleeting life is...... and how we should do all we can to bring peace and happiness to others while we're still here.

We have another funeral on Friday - the lady was a very good friend of ours who always helped and supported anyone who needed it, both locally and further afield.  Her memory will certainly live on for years ....

My Christmas card list is getting shorter....

• Like 10

I gave you a like for your post Margie not because of the deaths and funerals  but because out of all that you still find positive things, bless you

Rog

How you doing Mate?

Rog

About 8 miles on the old posties bike yesterday. Traffic gives me a wider berth on that than when out on the racing bike. 

Last days fishing at Blithefield Reservoir today. Only caught two trout and they will be cured tomorrow. Fillet and leave to cure in a marinate based on ww vinegar, brown sugar, salt, dill, coriander and a drop of gin. Good session on the rowing machine when I got home which made me hungry. Mrs PP bought fish and chips from the travelling chippy ( 'The Flying Cod') who visits our village every Wednesday. A nice treat every month or so. Happy and mellow now with a Bourbon near at hand.

3 hours ago, plantfit said:

I think the Firex has now been discontinued from production but there might be a few in the shops,might be worth looking to see if they are being sold off a bit cheaper.

Is the CRS the disc brake version? all Giant bikes are good though I had  an OCR with carbon aeroblade forks lovely bike

Rog

I'll start trawling round. Brakes are tektro vees - light and very powerful - in the dry, before I got used to them, I nearly unseated myself a couple of times

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

About 8 miles on the old posties bike yesterday. Traffic gives me a wider berth on that than when out on the racing bike. 

Last days fishing at Blithefield Reservoir today. Only caught two trout and they will be cured tomorrow. Fillet and leave to cure in a marinate based on ww vinegar, brown sugar, salt, dill, coriander and a drop of gin. Good session on the rowing machine when I got home which made me hungry. Mrs PP bought fish and chips from the travelling chippy ( 'The Flying Cod') who visits our village every Wednesday. A nice treat every month or so. Happy and mellow now with a Bourbon near at hand.

That is going to start everyone belting off to a) the chippie and b) the offie - fish chips, vinegar and bourbon- sounds a good plan

Barely slept last night.  Dunno why, but increased meds is a possibility.  Still.. don't have to go to work.  :)

The leaves on my new flowering Cherry  ( Prunus 'Kanzan') have turned a sort of rich deep orange, but not showing any signs of falling yet.  The other new tree is just looking generally scruffy. It seems to be a bit slower to establish.  It's a 'Wild Cherry' (Prunus Avium), though I can't recall the exact cultivar off the top of my head.

More clearance work in the garage later.... It's quite cathartic..

Col

Back from a lovely trike ride to Lincoln,sat people watching at the Brayford pool, a lot of students around probably just got up,well it was ten oclock ;)

( I bet they were thinking "whats that idiot doing in Lincoln?he's usually in Newark)

had a drink of water and a Mars bar, what a dissapointment that was, I got a Mars Duo, supposed to be two bars in the wrapper, they were about the same size as the old Milky Way bars we had as kids (remember them) it said on the wrapper "free from artificial colours,flavours and preservatives" dint say owt about being "free from taste"anall,  took a picture for all you Wetherspoon fans out there of the "Square Sail" at the Brayford pool complete with obligatory smokers in the doorway, bless em, anyroadup have a great day all of you and be careful if you can't be careful at least be kind

P1060261.jpg

Rog

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Been in there many times Rog on our days out to Lincoln for breakfast after getting off the train across the way !

• Like 1

Got a phone call from the lad today, he had been called to an old fashioned system where when the hot tap was turned on they only got a minute of hot water then it ran cold. The previous plumber had tried to fix it but had given up and quoted £2175 for a new boiler:angry:, "what do you reckon?" he asked.

"Ask them if they want it fixed for £75", when the answer was yes I told him "Nip into the loft, change the ball valve, cut back the expansion pipe which is to long and hold your hand out". £4 for a ball valve and 10 minutes, jobs a goodun, there's life in the old dog yet;), it's lovely to beat these young'uns now again.

• Like 6

We went to the flicks this  morning - just five quid for us old 'uns. Saw Murder on the Orient Express at the Broadway. The Screen 2 auditorium was sold out and they put us in the smaller, 84-seat Screen. Wow! the screen is huge, almost the width of the auditorium and completely filling your peripheral vision.

Highlight of the film for me was the magnificent, large French 2-8-? locomotive. Looked great, but we didn't see enough of it. You have to wince when you see something silly, and this film was guilty. The engine was derailed  by an avalanche and knocked off the tracks, finishing up leaning at about 30 degrees. A crew was sent out to get it back on the tracks, and they did this without the help of a crane, just shovels and picks.

What was the film like? Well, it was alright  I suppose - would have been better in black and white with Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Sidney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre.

Out quickly while the credits were crawling  and off then to Pret-A-Mange for a nice filled roll (chicken and bacon) and  coffee.

• Like 3

Last time I went to the cinema was with No.2 daughter and Mrs Col.  We saw Sherlock Holmes, 'Game of Shadows'  The film would have been a decent enough bit of 'Fluff' entertainment except for two things:

1. Like Dave above, I found that there was no way I could take in the whole screen without moving my head about all over the place.  It made me dizzy.

2.  They insist on accompanying every scene change with a sort of 'Whoosh ThaDUM!!' sound effect.  Why?  When I look around I don't hear that noise!

Other 'cinematic' effects such as 360 degree fast pans, rapid focus pulls etc., also make me dizzy.

What is wrong with these people?  Some of the greatest movies of all time were made using long ( 'Rear Window' anyone?) static shots.  Some idiot waving a b****y camera about all over the place does not a Cinematographer make. 

Rant over.

• Like 3

Boiler suit on and in to the workshop. Bleddy cold! Marked out some old oak floor boarding to make a solid 3 foot diameter wheel.  Double thickness boards will give a 3" thick wheel  and it will weigh a ton, which is the plan. It will be fitted with a handle and on to the scratter. The weight will give a flywheel effect and help when hard apples turn up in the mix. It is a pleasure to work with dry, seasoned oak. Mrs PP making noises about the garden, but this is more interesting.

• Like 1