DJ360

How's your day?

I’m not normally bothered by much but bats give me the creeps. We had one in the bedroom once and I slept on the sofa until my wife, who is not bothered by the little fluttery things, got rid of it!

@Cliff Ton   If you stand in the garden and click your fingers they swerve towards you.  I don’t worry about them as they are only after flying insects

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MargieH said:

@Cliff Ton   If you stand in the garden and click your fingers they swerve towards you.  I don’t worry about them as they are only after flying insects

I'll try that. Most evenings I stand outside at the front - there is a patch of ancient hedegrow by the front drive - and I usually see one (only one) tiny bat. As Cliff Ton says, timing has to be right.

It's a solitary bat, and tiny - would that be a pipistrelle? And why only one?

I'll let you know how the fimger-clicking goes

• Like 1

Lovely day today. up early and watered the plants and greenhouse. Collected French and runner beans and a few tomatoes, only one corgette. Let the hens out at 6.30. Breakfast, coffee and PC work until 9 when it was respectable to go outside again to start work and make a noise. Built the main frame for the coop extension that will give me 4 m2 of covered space for my personal roost. 4pm 2 fishing pals called and frog marched me to the pub (I lied). Wonderful dinner post pub then sat with the hens to enjoy my coffee. Who needs a holiday or TV?

• Like 3

Warm enough today.. (Saturday) but as ever, we were plagued with cloud. Somebody should tell those London based Weather Forecasters that it isn't 'cracking the flags' everywhere. 

Bit of gardening and a bit more progress on the DIY.

Lovely phone conversation with my beautiful Granddaughter Grace.  " It will be so lovely to see you again Grandad ".  and.. "Can I go hiking with you Grandad.. like Ben did?"  I was 'welling up' talking to her.  She even told me about how she's got a new backpack.. mostly for her holidays... but for 'Hiking' too.   I'm going to do my best to take her 'Hiking' up 'Billinge Mountain' and in search of the 'Legendary Lost Ice Cream Parlour' as soon as poss. She's Five.

Sadly both my daughters live within the bounds of Salford.  (The posh bits obviously.... :rolleyes:) ..so we aren't able to really visit due to renewed lockdown measures in Greater Manchester.

And finally today was our regular socially distanced Street Quiz... We know how to live up here.. :laugh:.

Mrs Col and I won.. for the third time in total and the second time running....  Sadly.. that means we have to come up with the next quiz....

...Bugger..... :(

Apropos of nothing.. I just found this:  What a wonderful lady.

Fab stuff....

And while it's in my mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfAHP5mAAOw

I was priveleged to meet this lady... Adelaide Hall. who worked with Duke Ellington in the 1920s and is known for 'Creole Love Call'.  She moved to the UK and I met her in Southport where she was on the same bill as my late Father in Law.. in an Old Time show. A very gracious but totally unpretentious Lady.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Hall

• Like 3

Not a good start to the day - went to let the hens out and discovered that 'Netty' had flown away. I forgot to replace the wire netting on the roof that is being built. She is a Forewerk breed noted for their flying abilities. Clipped wings if we get her back.

Is that a smirk on your cats' faces this morning, PP?  :P Surely not.

Seriously, I hope Netty doesn't come to any harm and returns to you.

• Like 1

Shoulda got Emus PP, they won't fly away......Or perhaps rabbits.  :rolleyes:

( There's a bloke near us, breeds ostriches,  honest !)

• Like 1

She found her own way back and kicked dust into the cats face ;)

• Like 1

Healthy meal today with veg picked fresh from the garden - spuds, runner beans, carrots, chard leaves and spinach.     They went very well with a beef casserole - yes I know it's a very hot day, but it was lovely!

• Like 1

I think hot meals are good on a warm day. We had a chicken curry on Friday. It makes you sweat and perspiration has a cooling effect. I’m beginning to find salads a bit insipid and much prefer a cooked meal. Lamb shanks for tonight’s dinner. It’s the first time in weeks that Morrison’s have been able to supply them and there’s plenty of mint in the herb bed. All to be washed down with a chilled Pinot Grigio. I may be a bit of a Philistine but my favourite meal is a thick pork chop with chips and baked beans and lots of HP sauce. No fine dining in this establishment! :biggrin:

More power to your elbow Phil. Each to his own, I reckon. (I've just finished water biscuits and cheese)!

Coo !! Are you posh enough to have pudding? I have to make do with a look at the honey jar.

I'll come and grovel at your feet for scraps Squire !

Hot meals? I enjoy them too but not cooking them on a hot day.

Yesterday my daughter and I sat outside near the pool nearly all day. Dinner was an onion focaccia and tomato salad and lunch was a Sicilian briocche with ice cream. Today it's prosciutto crudo with tomato salad again along with a crusty loaf.

Prefer to,eat like this while the weather permits. Plenty of time for stews, curries and cuts of meat. Which incidentally I don't eat much of .

This morning I went for my onc blood test, the appointment was made 6 months ago and was for 9 am. ( later than usual) when I got there people were queueing to get in, most without appointments. Heard someone say that they had to wait til they'd finished the appointments, so I eased my way forward and asked if they'd already called day hospital. The nurse was really annoyed as she said I should have been there before 8.15. Being stroppy , I was a bit curt with her and said my appointment was 9am and I respect what oncology appointments they give me and I was early. (8.30) she insisted I was too late but fortunately I took my appointment paper with me and showed her. She wasn't happy but continued to take my blood and never said another word.

I hate having blood tests in the village as I have priority to go in before other appointments ( not because I'm special, which I'm not, but because the tests have to go to Asti and oncology patients have the right to go in straightaway) I get very embarrassed when I go in and come out because I see the looks on those waiting that think " who the hell does she think she is" . I think this will be the last one as my onc said they will eventually stop after 10 yrs.

Just made some pain briocche. It looks good . Photo later.

Nonna, well done you for standing your ground about the appointment this morning.  It was a good job you took the paperwork out to show the nurse.   It's a pity there aren't separate entrances and exits so no-one would see you leave!   I know you have no need to be embarrassed about apparently 'jumping the queue'  but  I understand it can't feel good walking past those who are still waiting xx

• Like 1

IMG-20200810-114425.jpg

A picture especially for Stavertongirl, for no other reason than I like it and know she likes dogs. I know they're NOT dogs but I like em and so, 'Thats my day".

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Margie it's usually the older ones that do it and sometimes comment on it. If the nurses hear these comments they get told off saying that she's sure that I would sooner have their problems than the one I have . 

Started off a really hot day until about 4.30 and now we have a full blown storm, it's cooling down pretty quickly.

• Upvote 1

Bk I adore wolves they are beautiful animals. Had a Wolf howl on my phone for ages for my txts. It is such a haunting sound. Thank you.

• Like 1

My pleasure SG, your more than welcome.

Returned home this evening from a days fishing at Carsington (caught nowt) to find that I was in trouble with two of our Great grandchildren. The 7 and 8 y/o's came to see the chickens and to look at my completed  extension to the coop. They went inside the extension and saw the sign - 'MAN COOP' ..beware of chicken shit!

Looking for a pair of disreputable/rustic arm chairs for my MAN COOP.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Today was sunny so I lounged in the garden .. a lot...

Tomorrow.. or at least part of it.. could well be the last sunny day of the Summer as we are already half way through August.. So I will enjoy that too.

Meanwhile... although most of my Sunflowers are quite 'weedy' and 'spindly'.... one of them has excelled itself and I'm wondering if it's inherited Triffid genes from somewhere... :ohmy:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sBTGSTqHBSJjf7537

I give it a wide berth....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

How's my day?....... Well, I've just got back from Brighton hospital, via Haywards Heath hospital after having a HEART ATTACK !!  Who would have thought it. After having a rather large Angiogram I had another stent fitted..Now I have forest up and take it for a few days. It's 16 years since my last stents so can't complain. All for now, I'm very tired.:sickly: