DJ360

How's your day?

It's an idea Jim but would just cost more and create maintenance issues. Most people on the development have low walls between or around what was originally built as 'open plan'.  I just want to take the wall up to around 'hip height' ..say approx 3 feet.. close to my front door. and then maybe to 18" for the rest of the run to the street boundary. It's what neighbour wanted all along. but now he's grown his jungle and attached his trellis to MY wall.. he's changed his tune.

I'll catch him later today and spell it out.  If he won't play I'll just do as Jim (Brew) suggests above.

But that's not really it Phil.  I've made clear above that we have been both neighbours and friends for years. It's only this issue which is causing friction and I don't want lasting animosity to result. I just want to find ways of working it all out.

Yes, agreed Col. If you’ve enjoyed a cordial relationship there’s no point in aggravating the situation. I’ve always found that reasonable people will accept a compromise, or in your case, the legal realities.

Sounds like this is a common problem.

When I moved into this house fifteen years ago all the neighbors were new.  We agreed with the new neighbor on one side to go halves on the fence.  Everything was fine, they grew a bit of shrubbery on it.  I did staining on my side.  We paid half each on any maintenance issues.  A few years ago they left and new folks moved in.  We got along with them until recently when a section detached due to a warped post.  His wife started whining about her expensive plants it might fall on if "i" didn't fix it.

Time was, I would have done it but do to health condition I can't just now.  So I got a couple of estimates and showed them to him, saying at half each it will be  xxx dollars.  At which point she piped up,  "It's your fence"  To quote Al Read, "I thought right monkey!"

He agreed to pay half so the job was done.  I showed him the contaractor's bill and he paid half.  Then he said it's really your fence, it's on your side of the property line.  Not being a happy doggy I growled at him, then you can get your shrubbery off it.  They are rotting the wood.

That's where it stands right now.  I'm thinking he needs to sign a formal agreement that it is my fence.  I will then be willing to pay for repair or do it myself.  He wants the use of it but doesn't want to share the expense of it.  I told Mrs. L if he wants to be like that I can take the pesky thing down and he can build his own.  It's on my side of the line.

3 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

It's on my side of the line.

Pity you can't use Creosote now days LL, it would solve two problems in one go.

• Like 1

I think you should have a good old fashioned fist fight DJ, my Dad always told us lads never argue, just bash em.

LL, are you going to get border guards and the occasional watch tower? Funny how things can run along swimmingly for years, then introduce a new element, ( new neighbour) to the equation  and things go belly up.

It's not nice and leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

No need for the watch tower BK.

I've got an attack Beagle and a Lab cross that can lick you to death in five minutes.  I'm safe.  :biggrin:

A very Happy 55th Wedding Anniversary Mr and Mrs Beekay.  :Friends:xx

• Like 1

You seem a lovely bloke BK ,,You deserve a lovely day........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

You were both married in the same church

But you don't know which church I got married at?

Thank you very much for those kind words Benjamin 1945. And all good wishes to you too.

Thanks to all for your greetings. Took the wife to Skegness for our 25th and playfully buried her in the sand.....Better go back and dig her up.:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Happy 55 BK.  I had you beat by one year.  It would have been 56 for me on September the 11th.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Didn't you get married at St Peter's, Old Radford? Or was that your brother?

It was my older brother Jill, but how did you know?

Got married at St.Marthas, Broxtowe . Vicar was Reverend Porter.

You posted a photo some time ago, during a discussion about that church. All the best folk got married there: my parents, CT's parents, letsavagoo...

Didn't the Rev Catchpole used to be vicar at St Martha's? He had a column in the NEP many moons ago. Very political, was he. Vicars seemed to start getting political around the 70s/80s.

Almost forgot BK Happy Anniversary hope the weather is ok at Skeggy take care of her is there any good fish and chip shops there? Is the clock tower still there? my father used to service and maintain it in the 50s and 60s.

• Like 1

DJ I have just read about your problem with your wall whatever you do take photos before and after  the work you do , without them knowing.  I had the same type of situation years ago , they had different recollections of what it was like after I finished my work, his attitude changed after I showed him the photos.

• Like 2

BK happy anniversary, sorry its a bit late but hope it didn't spoil your day.

• Like 1

Thank you Nonna. Why should it spoil my day? Nothing would spoil my day when I've been with my wife! We've now been in isolation for 174 days, with the exception of my visit to hospital. Given a choice, we would have liked to go on the Bluebell steam railway for a meal, but they're still closed.

• Like 1

Your right Jill, Reverend Catchpole took over from Reverend Porter, but I cannot remember what year. Then another vicar took over from him and this one was a young radical. He lost quite a few diehard members of the congregation due to his offbeat ideas. Not been up that way since about 1978.

I don’t wish to lower the tone and take the emphasis away from the joyous occasion of the Beekay anniversary but ......... for the past few hours I’ve been researching toilet seats!    Our cloakroom loo doesn’t have a manufacturers name on it and the issue is that the pan is round rather than oval.  Several years ago for some reason we needed a new seat and bought one in B & Q, it’s always really bugged me that it didn’t fit the rim properly.  Soon we’re getting new flooring throughout the house, including this little room.  I want to make sure we don’t need a complete new loo before we have the floor done.  I’ve finally just ordered a seat that will hopefully fit, now we’ve got to wait for our ailing dog to depart this Earth so we can get all the floor coverings sorted ........ decisions have been made but haven’t ordered anything yet.  Don’t tell Jack, he has good days and bad days and we know he can’t help it but we’re getting fed up with mopping the floor and dealing with pee on the carpets! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1