DJ360

How's your day?

Then you go back to the churchyard where you were sleepwalkng and put it back!!  ;)

• Like 3

Slight change of topic for a moment. Had a phone call with the results of my Echocardiogram that I had a couple of weeks ago. My rehab nurse said the result was excellent! The reading was 65% which equates to a normal healthy person. It's very reassuring and encouraging. So it made my day.

Now back to the thread...

• Like 7

BK. So glad your results were considered excellent.  You can put your name down for the Lewis Marathon now!

Mary, I like the idea of holding a flower. from heaven ....but perhaps he was ‘under the influence’ when he wrote it?

Coleridge was widely known to have been a regular user of opium as a relaxant, analgesic, antidepressant, and treatment for numerous health concerns. Kubla Khan was apparently written under the drug's influence, but the degree to which he used the drugas a creative enhancement is not clear.

• Like 1

Margie, Lewis is up Compos way. I live near Lewes, (4miles). My rehab  nurse won't allow me to walk to our post office yet and that's only about a mile. She wants me to walk with a bit more effort to increase my pulse rate but not overdo it.

• Like 1

BK I know which Lewes/Lewis you live in but the predictive text on here knows better apparently.

You  could still WALK a Marathon over a few months, though- there’s a nice green area in front of your house isn’t there.

I’ve read some of his work and only the other night there was a dramatised version of Chistabel on Radio 4. Interesting ideas but ultimately I thought it was rubbish. In later life he was off his head on opium much of the time apparently. I think I have my mums copy of Kubla Khan somewhere.

edit. Didn’t see MargieH’s post before I wrote this. 

• Upvote 1

In those days, it was simple enough to purchase such substances from the local chemist. Branwell Bronte caused mayhem in Haworth between his visits to the chemist and The Black Bull! However, there is a theory that he wrote some of the wilder passages of Wuthering Heights. It's a messy novel and I could easily believe it is the work of more than one person.

Thank goodness he couldn't get hold of any mescal!

Wish you could walk in and get some now. After the day I’ve had it would be very welcome.

Was Lewis Carroll   on drugs when he wrote "Alice in Wonderland"  ?

Mary, There are conflicting opinions on whether he was taking drugs when he wrote Alice ... I’ve just googled it.  I suppose we’ll never know.  I never liked it because I thought it was strange and scary

28 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

Was Lewis Carroll   on drugs when he wrote "Alice in Wonderland"  ?

No but I reckon the mad hatter woz ! ( Johnny Depp version).

I'm off to bed now. Good night all and God Bless.

• Like 1

Breaking News

Forest have scored a goal.

Didn't the other team turn up then?

Been laying 14m squared of turf in the rain.  It was an irregular area so not straightforward at all - some parts are like a jigsaw!  Good job it’s not a carpet or the pile would be going all ways.  It’s a different colour to what we have already but I expect in time it will all sort of blend in.   I had the easier job which was instructing Paul where it needed to go and the right curve etc. He cut it with a saw where necessary and that worked really well.  I had prepared all the ground previously by raking and lightly standing on it so I haven’t been totally idle.  
So it’s more lawn for Paul to mow and less flowerbed for me to weed.  Good result all round ...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, denshaw said:

Breaking News

Forest have scored a goal.

Unluckily the other team scored two.

So the other team turned up after all. Bugger !!!

@ Margie. You shouldn't have to worry too much about having to keep the new turf watered.. at least not if it's anything like here. Non stop pouring rain all day and not much let up tomorrow..

• Like 1

Same here . It had been raining for 3 days non stop, now the sun has been shining for the last 2 days. The border between France and Italy ( not too far from us) is a disaster with landslides , floods, people swept away and still missing . A whole street full of shops has been wiped out. The rain here frightens me. During the summer the land dries out and come the rain it doesn't fall gently it comes down in buckets. Plus there's been very high winds up to 120 km hr. The other night dropping off to sleep there was a very loud thud as though it was a sack of soil being dropped from a height. It wasn't til the next morning that we saw what it was. One half of a shutter had been forced from its locked position and closed and locked onto the window sill. The wind was whistling all night. Now as we have various exits from where we live to get to the village centre, there are some that have mud covering the roads. Others are closed because they are renewing them especially in the main square area where there are a few shops. The village is divided into two, the old where we are ( called the historic centre) and the new.

The only safe way to get into the centre is by a lane that is all but vertical. Ok to descend but wouldn't attempt to get up to the top and have to do a steep hill start onto the main road.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Light rain here but very overcast.  No wind - can't see any trees or bushes moving at all.  Just right for our new turf :).

Looks like it may be a day to stay inside!  (As usual)

Weather here dry, no wind and the sun keeps poking his, her head through the clouds, so I will be in the garden picking up fallen pears and apples.

Very similar situation as nonna. Huge amounts of rain and wind and floods down towards the coastline. Le BsL ,where I live, is quite elevated (300+ metres) so if we were flooded there's not much hope for people nearer sea level.

Down here in the Costa del South Coast, it's raining, windy and bloody freezing. Just had a brass monkey at my door asking if I knew of a welder or blacksmiths shop. Just wondering if we are gonna get a Red Cross food parcel and blood plasma drop to sustain us.

Cloudy with sunny intervals here.  Probably a few showers about too.  Just picked a few more outdoor Toms. 'Crimson Crush' a very very tasty variety which haven't done too badly up against the back (South Facing) wall of the house.  Dobies tried to kill them first by posting them in completely inadequate packaging.. then the weather had a go at them and they survived that too.  Recommended!

Also just picked another 1lb 4 oz. of runner beans.  Still more to come.. Not bad considering the hammering they've taken from the weather this year..

Off for a walk up the hill in a few minutes. See if I can be a bit more lively about it than last time.

• Like 1