How's your day?

2 hours ago, MargieH said:

Ben, just looked up dances in Downham Market but all I could see was a Zumba class, 

Ne mind Margie,,twas a long time ago,,

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

It's not often I put personal stuff on here so here goes, a few years ago I found a woman daft enough who would marry me , some of you have met Margaret at some of the meet ups and yesterday was the d

Posted Images

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

t quaffing ale with a bunch of oiks? :biggrin:

When i lved in a villge Did that for a while Phil,,couldnt stand it,,mind you i weren't their fav either,,I'm not one for drinking with a bunch of blokes talking shit with false laughter,,

Years ago 5 of us went out drinking visiting many pubs, we took it in turns to stay dry and drive to make sure we all arrived home safe. I hated it when it was my turn not because I could not drink but as the evening wore on the conversation became boring, pointless and utterly pathetic also they laughed and joked about the most childish things. Was I actually that stupid. No answers please.

• Like 1

A pint after football training or a game of cricket with the blokes was enough........always liked a drink at home too,, Whisky was my tipple up to my illness ...same with a smoke.been over 2 years now not touched a drink and dont bother me...but still get the urge to smoke,,,

Get really jealous when i see the star in an old movie...sat at a crowded bar with a bottle of Whisky smoking a cig......not needing any company........well male anyway......lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I like the bleakness of the fens especially in winter

Many years ago I took a piece of Hi Fi kit to a house on the edge of Chattereris, Cambs. The house owner claimed to be interested in buying said bit of kit. It was early in the year.. maybe around March.

As I got out of my car to unload the kit (a pre-amp) , I was already freezing.  There was one of those steady, cold winds blowing.

I was invited into the house and I swear it was colder inside.

The house owner and his wife were both nurses and both were in short sleeves in a house that was at about 13 degrees C... if that..  I kept my fleece on and was still freezing.

They didn't buy the kit.  That is fair enough, except that the reasons they gave were utter cobblers.  I blame hypothermia.

Today I jet washed the drive and the side path.  My joy knows no bounds.. :laugh:

What an exciting life you lead, Col.

Our drive needs cleaning but that might just show up that it actually needs replacing.  I’d miss the doggy footprints that are sunk into the concrete though.

You say you went to Chatteris once - the only time I’ve ever been there was to take the grandchildren for swimming lessons at he baths..... and it’s only a few miles away from us!   You pronounce it Chair’riss in these parts -  it may come in useful if you are ever out here in the sticks again... (or not)

I have an old mate that went into block paving with his redundancy from Blidworth pit, made a fortune, he advised me never to jet wash it, monthly sweep with a shovel full of kiln dried sand does the job.

Morning Margie, talking of Chatteris , that used to be my delivery area every Thursday, (when I drove for SPD).

Always started at Whittlesey, March, Chatteris, Haddenham, Ely and sometimes on to Long Sutton and Sutton Bridge. That were back in the 70s.  Happy days.

• Like 1

Part of my old stamping grounds also in the 70s Barrie.........bet we went to same shops.....funny folk in chatteris,,,bought a transit van there about 79...whole street came out to watch me drive off in it...think Phil was there playing his Banjo....lol

• Like 1

I'm  sure we went to the same shops Ben. They were mostly grocery shops, pharmacies, hairdressers etc. My area over the week ranged from Grantham down to St Neots. Fridays was the other side of the A1, Oundle, Market Harborough, Corby and Kettering, with lots of little villages and schools fitted in. I'll bet at some time or other, I've actually served you and delivered your goods.

• Like 1

Well, I wouldn’t have come across either Ben or BK as we lived in Leicester until 1976, after which we came to

live in the next village to where we live now (which wasn’t on your list BK)

So where was that village then Margie? Chances are I bet I went there. Did loads of villages from Peterborough down to St.Neots. I'd be here all day listing them all. Used to do a hairdresser at Gedney Drove End. One road in and same one out. One of our driver's had that drop with a small parcel. He just put a stamp on it and posted it, rather than deliver it.

Edit. I did that job until late 77', so we could have crossed paths

• Upvote 1

Worked most places in Leicester Margie  bet i know sumat about where you lived there   lol

• Upvote 1

BK. Our first village in E Anglia was Cottenham. We were there from 1976 - 2011

ben. We lived in Aylestone, Leicester from 1966 - 76

Yep !!! Done Cottenham and Aylestone in me time. Before I had a regular route, could go anywhere. Took over  North Lincs from Dronfield depot, so used to do Grimsby, Scunthorpe East Coast etc. I once delivered to Southwell and was looking for my next village drop. Stopped to ask directions from a local on a tractor. It turned out I thought I  recognised his face. It transpired he was our next door neighbour from Denton Street 20 odd years earlier ! If your out there, Barry Bradley, cheers mate! (That were40 + years ago).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Did some Security in Histon not far from Cottenmam for a Budgens store.....also went to watch Histon fc about 2005 ish when they had progressed well in the FA cup........

• Upvote 1

Ben, I remember seeing Budgens in Histon but have never been in there.  The bus from Cottenham to Cambridge used to go past it.

I used to work in the early eighties with 3 deaf children who lived in Histon..... Stephen, Susan and Linda but this was before your time there.  

BK you used to get about a bit, didn’t you!

Our local farm shop at Gonalston has a Budgeons store. Just down the road at Harrison's garage, Lowdham, a Spar shop has been incorporated and in the next village, Fiskerton, the village shop and P.O is a Mace store. Our village shop closed some years ago so there's nothing within walking distance. There's also an M&S at the filling station in Southwell and a largish Co. Op. plus a couple of other late opening stores.