How's your day?

Mercifully, I cannot see any of the usual local crop of fallen TV aerials, missing ridge tiles and fence panels etc.  We get these 'big blows' pretty regularly here and I think everything that was going to..has blown away years ago.  Most people have had roofs re-done, eaves 'clipped' or fitted with 'dry verge' etc. to stop things blowing away.  We've had our roof done twice. I think it's as wind proof as it's going to be now.

Years ago after a hellish night shift dodging flying cladding from the furnace house when I worked in a foundry, I found next door's shed roof on my lawn.  He kept budgies in here and they were all shivering by the time we'd put his roof back on.  Meanwhile the house opposite had its chimney through the roof and a metal garage roof from two streets away ended up in a garden opposite.

What fun!!

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Had a day by myself........which i don't mind...........been playing music on u tube and looking at Videos of the place i love in Spain.......been 3 years since i went out there...at first due to health ...then this Covid........

On the recent videos of my Spanish heaven there were very few people...and the ones i saw were wearing Masks....and most shops were shut....very depressing.....

Mind you a trip into Bulwell for Coffee and a chat would be nice....when do these pubs and cafe's open again.........??

If it's OK with you Ben, I'll have a drink to you, from a distance.

¡Salut Amigo! Via con Dios :cheers:

An eventful day already here - with all our wild and domestic creatures. Went to check out the hens food and Donny the duck was on the pond by himself. Not seen Dilly his mate for 3 days during the high winds although he has popped in a few times. He seemed uncomfortable by himself, looking around all the time. I had assumed that Dilly was off laying eggs somewhere. Anyway - I took him some corn from the coup and he just stood looking at it, then flew away. Ungrateful bogger I thought. But then, two minutes later he flew in again closely followed by Dilly. He led here to the corn and stood watching while she ate it ravenously. What a good husband - going to fetch her like that! As for the cats!!! Samson brought a starling into the house. Chased him off then Panto stole the bird from him and brought it back - bleddy cats. The hens are laying well and the badly pecked one has recovered and plumage is returning nicely.

No need for the isolation coup but it will be useful for when we get some new young birds. About 20 frogs have arrived for the spawning season - be interesting to see how they get on with the ducks. Who needs a farm when our garden is so full of life? :biggrin:

• Like 8

Some ladies are good at that.  Late wife was a bit like that.  A delightfully feminine lady.  I never felt hen pecked and I don't think I was.  She was always open to discussion and other ideas.  I was just happy to please her.  Made for a happy marriage.

• Like 3

Fairly productive day today. 

Firstly, I cut my hair. All over with a No.3 .  Then round ears with a No.2.  then found a missed bit on top so had a good go at that until I realised I was still using a No. 2.  So.. started again all over with a No.2......  .

Still.. It will last me a week or two..:laugh:

Next.. a session on the weights..  I'm now up to two sets of each move every other day for a bit before I move on to three sets.  I'm still not lifting anything like what I was a few years back.. but.. it all helps.

A bit of scoff and watched the usual Monday night quizzes then went out for a walk over the hill in the dark. This time I decided to listen to a book on Audible as I walked.  It's not something I'd do on busy roads etc.. but I thought it worth a try whilst I was out alone. Enjoyable enough.. but I decided I'd sooner listen to the sounds of distant traffic. the odd barking dog or hooting owl.

Plenty of time for listening to audiobooks when trying to nod off in bed..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Concept 2 BikeErg arrived today after a 20 week wait. I could have left it in the box and sold it for about £300 profit! They are in such short supply. Anyway I assembled it this afternoon and was pleased to see how well engineered it is. It's a lot more usable than the Tacx trainer I've been using for 20 years.

I'll give it a good test for an hour or so short, while watching telly.

I'm hoping to get fit enough to get out on the road bike when it's warmer. Must check out the lycra. Fancy airing the LEJOG strip that I designed for our record team ride in 1998.  

A day of boiling my blood shouting at speeding cyclists on the towpath... Grrrrrr

• Like 1
2 hours ago, katyjay said:

Had to Google the Concept 2 Bike Erg to see what you were talking about. At $990 it is a serious piece of equipment! 

£980 here in the UK and a 19 week waiting list! The thing about Concept 2 equipment is that it holds it's value and is a good investment. I bought a C2 rowing machine about 20 years agoand 11 years later sold it for more than I paid for it. The rowing machine I have now (model E) I bought in France 6 years ago and could still sell it for a profit. The health and value retaining merit make it a good investment. If I bought a bike for £980 it would be worth less than half of that a year later.

First ride on the BikeErg this evening and super smooth. Thighs burnt a bit but should not take long to get my cycling legs back. Made me thirsty - American IPA £0.89 a bottle from Aldi sorted that out :biggrin:

• Like 1

TaDaaa, finally plucked up the courage to have a go...  at least it's tidy and I'm not eating it in the night..

rgzGZld.jpg

ZZXNnKq.jpg

• Like 4

As has been said many times (by me), it was a shame to keep such a handsome face hidden...   smile2