How's your day?

Just evicted yet another large bee from the house. I've lost count of how many I've chucked out, gently of course, this year alone!

I told him, "Bee sensible and stay outside. Now, buzz off!" and he did. :rolleyes:

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

3 hours ago, AfferGorritt said:

Dry! Large water main burst on Lambley Lane, so no water....... You got water in lambley???.... Flipping eck you'll be connected to the Electric next:rotfl:

We have a well but have never used it for drinking although a couple who live nearby said that when they were kids they often use to ask the former owner if they could have a drink from the well. Apparently it was good. We have it connected up to a tap and hose to water the plants. We have used the irrigation point that we put in to water the grass. ( which we pulled up and now have paving blocks) but its still useful for hosing the courtyard down after a windy day and cleaning after the dogs wee.

Kids in the UK don't have to choose between suppositories and tablets for basic pain/fever relief.  The various Calpol products provide Paracetamol or Ibuprofen etc.. in 'kiddie friendly' form, such as liquid syrups, 'fastmelts' etc.  Surely these are also sold on the Continent?

A friend of mine bought farmhouse near Sth Wingfield and took great  pride in his well claiming the water to be excellent... until he realised it was only fifty metres from a graveyard, he sort of went off it then..

I've never heard of suppositories for pain relief - it sounds barbaric!   :Shock:

Depends where the pain is.... :rolleyes:

You and I both have painful knee joints... Can't speak for you Col but I'll go with tablets and a glass of water...    ;)

After I had a fairly big op 25 years ago, I wondered why I wasn’t getting any discomfort straight afterwards and I was told I’d been given pain relief  PR straight after coming out of theatre.

Jim.. I'm not taking any pain relief for my knee.  It hurts 24/7 and Paracetamol has no impact.  However.. I'm not taking Codeine..or even worse something like Tramadol.. as both are addictive and damaging in other ways and neither would cure the condition..  I had an X-Ray yesterday and I have yet another phone call consult booked for the 18th of May.  Hopefully we can make progress from there.

However.. I've had (mercifully infrequent) bouts of piles and then a pain killer such as Cinchocaine along with an anti inflammatory.. applied directly to the site of the pain can be a blessed relief. :)

DJ360, a mate of mine had the same problems in the nether regions as you have. After much pain and discomfort and long discussions with his medical advisors he decided to have an ar$e transplant. It rejected him.

Why.. I oughtta!!.. :aggressive:

How very dare you!!

Had a nice experience this morning......was going to Bulwell just to get out...but the traffic was solid and hardly moving,,so went back into Kirkby......apart from the wetherspoons (which is closed) not used any other Pub.....but saw lots of people having a Beer outside the 'Nags Head'' so decided to have a Coffee in there. (well, outside) told me to go and sit down and they'd bring it out to me.......which they duly did..

Thankyou..how much duck ?

Thats ok..its on us...was the reply.........

Thought how nice...what a friendly place Kirkby is.......

Everyone else sat outside knew each other and were obviously locals........but most engaged me in conversation........made my day.........

• Like 3

Good for you Ben. Hope you enjoyed your coffee. The last time I went to Kirkby was in 1986, when I  went to obtain a cabbies licence from the  ounces office. Still got it, I wonder if could return it?

Today I went into town to join the ‘owt fer nowt’ rabble in Debenhams closing down sale.  I’d not even considered going in but a friend rang to tell me she’d just been in the shop and it was worth a trip.  
Even though I’ve never been very keen on Debenhams it sounded interesting.  
I made some brilliant buys ....... 4 100% cashmere sweaters, usual price £170 each and I nabbed them for £70 TOTAL.  2 super-king sheets, reduced from £130 each to £39 each.  Then I bought some Christmas tins of biccies for £3 each, reduced from £14.  Nice useful tins too, when we’ve eaten the biscuits! 
What’s not to like, except that those poor shop assistants are all out of work on Monday.   

• Like 4

Thrilling day here today.  Got up late..had a bit of lunch..watched the news..then a bit of snooker.

Summoned up the energy for a short walk..  2000 steps..every one of them painful and a throbbing leg was my reward. 

Cut my hair..took a shower..had a ready meal curry and a Magnum fer me dinnoh.

Watched Gardener's World.

Taxed car online.

Mrs Col is house/cat sitting until Monday..so at least I can play music and watch whatever I want on telly.

Think it was about 1960 when they were taken up by Marsdens.........nobody knew which section to Merchandise them in.......such was their ''Uniqueness''

In the end i suggested to the Manager putting them on top of another recent introduction the ''Frozen food fridge''........ready meals..frozen food...what were things coming to............lol

I first saw them when my mum bought a Chow Mein for my dad's evening meal. At the time it was unlike anything I'd ever seen before.

I was fascinated by the crispy noodles; I always wanted to be the one who put them in the frying pan and watch them burst into life.

• Like 1

My father tried a few of those when they first appeared. My mother gazed at the contents of the box in disgust!  The noodles were, if I remember rightly, in a rectangle with little perforations and had to be broken apart. It looked like a sheet of cardboard.

The noodles puffed up when cooked but still tasted like cardboard!  Do they still make these ready meals?

Dad wasn't too impressed with the meals in boxes. He liked curries, having spent time in India, but preferred to visit Burton's in town and gather the spices to make his own. He was a good, if rather messy, cook.  Every week, on Fridays, we'd have Bubble and Squeak cooked by dad. We loved it!

If memory is correct, the noodles in the Chow Mein were in a little cellophane packet, consisting of brittle strips. When dropped in hot fat they would then burst into life. They were the nearest thing you could get to Nibbets (remember them?). I could quite easily eat a plate of them on their own. Were the main ingredients freeze dried? Not a bad stand by though when stuck for time.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Mrs Col is house/cat sitting until Monday..so at least I can play music and wat ch whatever I want on telly.

While the cats away the mice shall play proverb springs to mind. I too like to have the house to myself. Enjoy the rest of the day or should I say weekend.

• Like 1

Lizzie glad you had a good day, just like i would like. I dont know if there are any sales or closing downs anywhere near but love to find out. Ive put on 5 kg in this last year and am having a job losing them, consequently the clothes I bought in Sicily 14 mths ago are too tight. Summer is just round the corner so they will be no good to me as they were all or mostly winter/ spring items. I wanted to buy things to go with them all ( mostly trousers) but couldnt find anything that either matched or didn't like so I thought I would find them at home. But no we came into lockdown. Never mind when we are a bit safer we are planning to have a weekend back in Sicily to buy more clothes. I'm fed up of wearing tracksuits.

• Like 1

Oz.. No ..it was a Tesco Chicken Vindaloo with rice... things have moved on a bit in the ready meal dept.  Still I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Vesta... in a pinch... They had a certain charm..and were very good for camping etc.. being lightweight. They were what they were..dried goods mixed up into a recipe.  They didn't really bear comparison with whtever they were supposed to be.. they just were what they were.

I found that the curry version benefitted from some time just soaking, before being simmered.  The Risotto was OK..ish.  The Chow Mein was good.  I used to like to cook the crsipy noodles as per.. then fold them into the rest so they went  bit soggy.  I've never been much of a fan of over crispy things.  That said.. I do recall the angled Nibb-Bits jar that useter sit on the counter of the Off Sales at my Grandma's pub in Bestwood Village.

If I recall.. Vesta (Batchelors?) also did something sort of Italian involving spiral pasta.. but I can't remember what it was. I wasn't keen on that one.

P.S.  Quick Google shows them still available in Tesco and via Amazon.

I may try a couple for old times sake.