• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• DJ360

• philmayfield

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Never mind LL. I'm more than happy to wait and let you catch up.:rolleyes:

In doggy years that makes you 539. Did you think about that?

• Like 1

How's my day been?... hmmm frustrating is one way to describe it, not to say expensive.

Idly perusing the John Pye auctions on Sunday I spied a TV sound bar, it didn't look up to much was but good enough to put a bee in my bonnet and despite watching very little TV I decided it was the very thing, a must have accessory for a gentleman of discernment and stupidity. 

On Sunday sheer boredom led me to order one, in itself  an indication of how bored I am,  and it arrived this morning.  Spent most of today trying to get the damn thing to work. There are no instructions other than being told to download an app (set up a google account please) and follow the guidance.

Would it work? would it hell as like! After much swearing and dire threats to give it a free flying lesson it slowly dawned on me the the video repeatedly mentioned connecting a HDMI-ARC cable, not something they provide and the HDMI I was using from my office was not ARC rated.

A quick visit to Screwfix for the correct cable, made sure it goes in the right socket this time and hooray all sorted... until my dearly beloved said the cables were visible, OK no problem i can,...... except there is and I can't. The stand on LG TV's do not have a gap through which to thread cables. Much huffing and puffing later and she is now looking for a new TV...  :angry:

"what if we?".... a raised eyebrow

"what about?"... the brow starts to furrow.

"err maybeee...?" when the arms cross and foot goes into tapping mode the battle is lost and a visit to the John Lewis site follows in short order... :(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You have all my sympathies Brew. Took my sound bar and just used it for extension speaker for my little DAB radio.

As for my day.... had a good day for me birthday, but won bugger all at Bingo tonight. "Happy Days".

2 hours ago, catfan said:

ARC on tv to ARC on soundbar then install the app.

I have a LG soundbar connected to my LG TV & sounds amazing as my neighbours will confirm.

Hah! Now you tell me.... :mellow:

Until today I'd never heard of ARC cables. This is a Bose unit that came with a tiny remote control that apparently works only when you use the supplied optic cable, which is not needed if the TV is ARC enabled.... I'm confused.com...

Maybe not getting the best from it at the moment, it's behind the screen due to the cable visibility. It has Alexa built in and voice control but only works if we shout. I feel a bit of a berk talking to a telly and nothing happening.

ARC is the best option. Optical for those who don't have HDMI. All down to bandwidth.

You won't get  7.1 Dolby Atmos  from no other option except HDMI.

ARC equals Audio Return Channel.

Crank the sound up & let your neighbours enjoy the sound !

Took ages to reach the site today, kept getting a timed out error...just me or has anyone else had a problem?...  seems fine now though.....

Right, so it's wasn't just me then. Though they're certainly the fastest kid on the block they do seem the least reliable.

You lucky people who’ve got fibre. Out here in the sticks it’s fibre to the cabinet and the cabinet is half a mile away. Download around 26, upload around 9 mps. More than adequate for us but not what you’d call fast.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

You lucky people who’ve got fibre.

Until a short while ago when Virgin arrived we relied on a native with a cleft stick!.

Average speed pre-cable here was 6 down and 0.5 up. not surprising therefore  virtually every house in the neighbourhood is a Virgin customer.

A quick test on the BT site shows the best they can offer now is 12 down and between 1 or 2up. We wont be changing anytime soon despite the annoying dropouts

The nice shiny Google account I set up to download the sound bar app has just messaged (on my phone) demanding a credit card, passport or license to verify my age or I will only be able to see content suitable for under 18's... How nice of them to say any charges they make will be refunded, though it may take up to three days......

.SOD OFF

It's not all bad news. The Chinese have fallen out with the Aussies and aren't buying their excellent wine.  UK wine lovers are getting it cheap!  I love Aussie wine. Fill your glass. ;)