DJ360

How's your day?

Blowing leaves with leave blower at work. And someone came over to me asked if Me or my work colleague was moody cow so met Ian Dawson for first time while at work today was a lovely pleasant surprise.very nice to meet Ian. 

That was while at work at arboretum park.not far up hill from where new cafe on park has opened.

• Like 4

Unusual chat up line from ID,  "excuse me , are you (a) moody cow?"   He was lucky he didn't get a slap!

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Carni,If ever you make one of them chocolate cakes try a piece with some hot custard,  Mmmmmmmmmm

Will do.:biggrin: That is also  my favourite dessert when we go out for dinner. Have you by any chance got a sweet tooth Planfit Miduck.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Loppylugs, I'm in your neck of the woods right now, killing 6 hours in Atlanta airport. In the Delta lounge, so at least comfortable and being fed and watered.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, carni said:

Have you by any chance got a sweet tooth Planfit Miduck

Several  :jumping:

Rog

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, katyjay said:

Loppylugs, I'm in your neck of the woods right now, killing 6 hours in Atlanta airport. In the Delta lounge, so at least comfortable and being fed and watered.

Careful, KJ, he'll have you doing a bit of dog sitting!  ;)

• Like 2

We could get through security.  Just tell 'em he's a sniffer Beagle. :biggrin:. Bailey would be his sidekick.

You are probably on your way by now.  Too bad we couldn't have had a quick meet up for a burger.  Have a safe trip. :)

• Like 1

Had a busy day today.  Went into town this morning and met Ian Dawson for a coffee, (or two!) spending a good couple of hours chatting and catching up before dashing around doing a bit of shopping.   Then this afternoon went with my hubby to the Circle building at QMC where he’s undergone cataract surgery.  We thought we’d be in and out in an hour but sat around for a couple of hours before he was taken into theatre.  It was a fairly quick procedure and he was back sitting with me having tea and biscuits half an hour later.  At least by the time we left the hospital at 8pm  there was very little traffic about.   Now it’s eye drops for a month and he’s got the other eye being done next week all being well.    

• Like 2

Lizzie, give our best wishes to your man after his cataract surgery.... 

• Like 1

I can remember watching Tomorrows World (one of favourite programs) where they a described cataract surgery in a Russian hospital. At the the time it was a 'wonder of the age' type operation that took several hours to perform. Now it's done on a virtual production line in a about half an hour if that.

I looked into the history thinking it must be a worlds first but the Egyptians beat them - by at least three thousand years! I wonder what they used for anesthetic

I thought my day was going to be full of excitement. I was slightly incorrect. It was full of excrement !

Best wishes to your husband for a speedy recovery Lizzie, and you take care of yourself too meduck

Rog

Best wishes to the both of you, glad that the first procedure went well and give Mr L my best regards.

Up bright and early,Mrs P gone to the gym (makes a change :rolleyes:) It's raining here at the moment so I don't know if a trike ride is on the cards yet, might give it a good clean and a bit of a service,adjust brakes,oil chain,check nuts and bolts (wheres Ben when you need him?) at the moment I have my breakfast in the pan,two sausage,two hash browns, two bacon and one egg with a slice of fried bread, well I only have that once a week and I won't be going to Wethers Bulwell for me breakfast this week (maybe next week Chulla) later I am making some spinach and feta cheese turnovers in puff pastry for Mrs P's lunch and also making her some fresh fruit in jelly (orange flavour jelly) Just had me breakfast and about to wash the pots so have a great day everyone and enjoy whatever you do

Rog

• Like 1

Quick change of plan on the fresh fruit and jelly thingy's for Mrs P, the fruit had gone off,strawberries with little white coats on so had to throw them away (bloody Sainsbury's "fresh food" ) anyway saved the day by using peach halves cut up and blueberries left whole changed the jelly mix to strawberry, picture before jelly mix

P1060252.jpg

and this one after pouring jelly mix in the pots all ready to go in the fridge

P1060253.jpg

Rog

• Like 2

Today I read more letters from Mams cardboard box that has been hidden away for 20 odd years. Dad was still writing from his first posting in N Ireland in 1941. He was having a rough time. A separate letter caught my eye, by itself and not in this particular bundle. It was addressed to 77 Withern Rd., Aspley and dated 26th Oct 1938? It was from Mam in the City Hospital, informing dad about me having been born at 11.15 on Friday evening the 24th. 8lb 4 oz and having lots of black hair. They called me Michael? Mam hoped that dad would not be disappointed that I was not a girl! Crikey! Fancy learning stuff like this at 79 years of age...

I did know that our first house was a new council house on Withern Rd., and that we had to move to Speechly St., near to an Auntie when I was a few months old. We had to move again when dad was called up, to be close to most of the family around Alfreton Rd and Peveril St. Times were so different then. No phone, transport or childcare at a time when you HAD to go to work. 

• Like 4

PP  What happened to 'Michael' I wonder.... 

Mam used to talk about Terence De Marney, so that may have had an influence - him being good looking..........:biggrin:  Just looked at 77 Withern Rd on street view. Pity my parents could not have stayed there. Garden and bathroom. We had none of that on Peveril St.

• Upvote 1

I lived at 82 Withern in the 80's/90's

Rog

Mrs P staying at home today, :jumping: yesterday's gym must have worn her out, weather is drizzling so not getting the trike out either,I have some work to do in the bike shed and I want to make a reverse bracket holder for the drinks bottle on the trike, at the moment the bottle faces forward on the main frame but I want it to face towards the back which means the bottle pointing upwards and rear facing,to achieve that I will have to make a bracket,I have some aluminium strip to make it with,you can buy a proper bracket but the cost is silly money,I'll have to cope on me own,don't know where our Ben is, well thats my day so far,if owt exciting happens I will post about it but nothing ever exciting happens out here so will have to see, have a great day one and all

Rog

Stopped drizzling long enough to road test the new bottom bracket on the Raleigh meridian. Not kidding, the thing is over twenty years old and the old bracket came off like it was buttered on. And the new one only cost £8.99!

Whereas the Trek 3900 is only four years old and needed a new one a month ago. That cost me 18.99 plus another 10.99 for the Bergen breaker bar to shift the old one. Could hear this humming noise - it was my dad spinning in his grave at the cost!

Still, todays ride was pretty good - bit damp, but as dad used to say "character building"

Plantfit, if the bottle cage is troublesome, how about one of those fancy rehydration backpacks? only cost a month of your dads wages - Evans reckon they're a "biking essential"

going to dry off the bike now - and refill with some coffee

Phil

• Like 2

Last night I went to the monthly meeting of our local history society.  The subject was the 'Pretoria Pit Disaster of 1910'.  Pretoria Pit was near Westhoughton Lancs. 344 men and boys died in the disaster almost all on one level of the mine.  Of those on the lower level workings only one died. The speaker was called Alan Davies and he certainly knew his stuff.  He integrated period cine film, photographs, diagrams and even an audio recording of a survivor, made in the 1960s.  Fascinating stuff... if a bit grim.  I spoke to Alan after his talk and mentioned my association with Bestwood Colliery.  He immediately replied.  "Isn't that the one with the vertical steam winding engine?"  As I said...  Knows his stuff!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretoria_Pit_disaster#References

I spent a lot of time yesterday just making a big enough hole in my rubbish filled garage to allow for storage of two new ovens and a hob awaiting installation in the new kitchen. Today will see the start of further 'clearance operations'.  This will require a great deal of diplomacy, as Mrs Col has difficulty letting go af stuff, even if it is never used, or likely to be. ..

Wish me luck!

Col

• Like 1

Went to see the practice nurse today, Mrs C driving the wheelchair, "mind the pedestrian dear" & you got a good idea of her reply !smile2

Mind you back home in one piece !

• Like 3