How's your day?

7 hours ago, DJ360 said:

More belated congratulations to PP. Well played Sir!!

Just got back from my pal's house where I listened to the latest iteration of his Hi Fi. About 20 years ago I told him to stop wasting his considerable funds on overpriced but idiosyncratic( not to say average) stuff from Linn Products and Naim Audio. I predicted he would end up with horn loaded speakers and valve amps. My prediction came true.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4FNtzurQ9fHbQiFm8

How does it sound DJ.

I have my valve Leak stereo 20 and Audio Fidelity b3 preamp up for sale.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Today is my fourth birthday !!...It was October 26th 2018, when I first enrolled/enlisted, (call it what you like) onto Nottstalgia.

Since then I've learned a multitude of interesting things and made many new acquaintances, some of whom have been email or 'WhatsApp ' contacts. I've found relatives, long lost for over 60 years and have also heard from old school friends and even neighbours from my Radford stomping ground. I've received lots of useful information from obliging fellow Nottstalgians, for which I am eternally grateful. Made some 'penfriends too. For all this....

A BIG THANK YOU N.S ! ! ! 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, radfordred said:

Having that monstrosity & all those cables stuck in his front room I’m guessing he’s single? 

Wrong again RR.

That's not his front room..it's his music room. And he's married with kids.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but those £30k speakers are part of the Tannoy Prestige Range and are extremely well made. The record player is a £30k+ model  and the rest of it adds up to around £100k.

He works hard and makes more than that in a year, so I guess he's entitled to spend it how he likes.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

How does it sound DJ.

I have my valve Leak stereo 20 and Audio Fidelity b3 preamp up for sale.

It sounds brilliant. I've always liked Tannoy speakers, especially the big Prestige series ones. Couldn't fit them in my house though..even if I could afford them. Although cabinet sizes vary, they're all based on the idea of a single 'dual concentric' drive unit with a tweeter firing through the middle. It gives brilliant imaging, superb detail and stunning dynamics. They are also very sensitive, so your Leak could probably drive them very well. My pal has of course spent big on his amps as he freely admits to 'not doing cheap', but I heard the considerably bigger Westminster Royals driven by a very humble amp at the Tannoy factory and they worked brilliantly.

What are you selling your Leak for?

12 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Back in the earlyv70s I remember being jealous of my brother who had just bought a Bang and Olufsen Beocentre 2000? The speakers were mounted on chromed metal stands that had a metal square frame base. The turntable was in a piece of wooden furniture that looked a little like a bookcase.

I think the thing about B&O is that they successfully marketed themselves as 'the best' makers of hi fi kit, when in reality they sell 'lifestyle' products. It's not 'bad' audio kit, but better sound can be had for less money. A similar stunt was later pulled by both Linn Products and Naim Audio in the UK. All three makers have fan bases with an almost religious fervour.

I made the mistake of buying a Linn LP12 record player and keeping it for way too long, wondering why I wasn't hearing the 'magic', until it sunk in that there is no magic..it's almost entirely a faith based thing. Linn dealers in particular very strongly imply that if you don't like their kit, it's your fault for being deaf, or not knowing how to listen. Proper snake oil stuff... I grew out of that stuff years ago.

Physio this morning.
The lovely Sophie tells me that I'm making good progress. She measured my knee bend at 130 degrees, told me that is excellent and said it's probably as good as it will get.

However, on the 'tight IT band', she did a couple of tests and reckoned it's a result of me walking badly for years before the op.
The solution it seems is even more exercises.
The band on my other leg is seemingly normal so I should expect less trouble if I have surgery on that.
Which is nice...

• Like 2
On 10/22/2022 at 3:12 PM, nonnaB said:

7-F7720-AC-60-EF-42-DA-A0-CB-38-F68740-DWhattsup on left and Whattis (it) on right

Love the expression on Whattsup’s face nonna. It’s a bit like “yeah I’ve heard it all before”.  Just booked a short break in Florence in May 2023, my favourite city, so much so, we named our cat after it! 

• Like 1

Makes you wonder what Russian citizens are fed about the Western world .

My daughter in law , in the Netherlands , is an administrator in the Dutch office of a multi-national software company.

They had an office in Moscow but because of the invasion it was closed down but the company offered jobs to staff who could relocate out of Russia. 

Three women and their families decided to relocate to Holland and it seems to have fallen on my daughter in law to find accommodation for them .

One of the other Dutch office workers happened to have a vacant property and offered it to one of the families . You would have thought they would be grateful for anything but was surprised to receive a long list of questions about his vacant house.

Amongst the more bizarre queries were , "does it have ticks ?", "are there moles in the garden? " , "will the roof blow off in the wind" and the most bizarre , "if my daughter goes to a Dutch school ,will she become a lesbian ?"

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Never believe anything anyone tells you. That's my maxim!

And mine is: Trust no one,

believe nothing and question everything!

Must be something to do with the education we had that has made us so cynical? ;)

I too went to the barber’s today. In Blidworth. Don’t ask why Blidworth? Its a long story! There was a chap in the chair chatting with the barber and I honestly couldn’t understand a single word he was saying. He was obviously a local but it was just like being in a foreign country!

About trusting and believing people…. I tend to believe what people tell me (unless I’ve a very good reason not to) and  always give people the benefit of the doubt.  I don’t see this as being naive ….. I meet many people who need someone to listen - really listen - to them.  I suppose I always try to  look for the good in people (and usually find it)

This was my mum’s attitude so maybe that’s why I think this way?

• Like 2
7 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

Makes you wonder what Russian citizens are fed about the Western world .

Amongst the more bizarre queries were , "does it have ticks ?", "are there moles in the garden? " , "will the roof blow off in the wind" and the most bizarre , "if my daughter goes to a Dutch school ,will she become a lesbian ?"

When they invaded Ukraine, there were reports of Russian soldiers stealing toilets and washing machines - even though many of them wouldn’t have had indoor plumbing back home.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I too went to the barber’s today. In Blidworth. Don’t ask why Blidworth? Its a long story! There was a chap in the chair chatting with the barber and I honestly couldn’t understand a single word he was saying. He was obviously a local but it was just like being in a foreign country!

That’s because it’s Bliderth Phil.

Daughter told me yesterday that her car, a Citroen DS3 'D Sport' Petrol 1.6, has a message on dash to top up oil.

So she bought oil but struggled to read the dipstick and was worried She'd overfilled it.

Decided to go over to help out and to save the potential hassle of removing the sump plug, I looked at local Halfords and so on for some sort of pump but nothing suitable.
Then remembered that I had a 'Trico' 12 v screenwasher pump sitting on the shelf in the garage. It's been there for at least 40 years. I think I took it off a Simca 1100. IIRC, it works on the 'peristaltic' principle. Whatever...it was about to finally fulfil its destiny and 'come in handy one day..' Quick check showed it still worked when held onto the conveniently spaced contacts of a 4 AH sealed lead acid battery. Sadly the metres of small bore green plastic tubing which was in the way for years has disappeared.
So, down to B&Q. Their 'off the reel' 5mm (internal) tubing fits the pump perfectly, but was looking likely to be too big to feed down the dipstick hole. Fortunately their 3mm pipe fits inside the 5 mm, solving that problem, so bought 2m of the 5mm and 1m of the 3mm.

Daughter isn't daft and knows the 'remove, wipe, replace, remove, read' way to read a dipstick.
When I looked the problem revealed itself. The dipstick is exceptionally difficult to read and even with over 50 years of fiddling with cars, I struggled. I ended up having to 'swab' along the stick with kitchen paper to confirm the oil I thought I could see... It's basically a long coil spring which seems designed to hide the oil on its surface.
Eventually decided that she'd overfilled by a couple of inches on the stick and used a bit more than a litre of fresh oil.
Not prepared to risk that, I rigged my lashed up pump. As expected, only the 3mm pipe would pass the dipstick hole, but, after priming the system by sucking on the pipe, I fired up the mighty Trico...
It took about a minute to get going but once the oil stream was fully through the pump it worked steadily. Took about ten minutes to pump about 1/2 litre of oil out.
Checked again and concluded that the stick was now reading midway between Max and Min. Switched engine on and ran for a couple of minutes...No warnings, so decided to leave it at that till she gets it properly serviced.
The oil in the car was smelly and very black...much more than I'd expect and I'm not convinced the oil was changed, or changed properly, at last service...unless it's a particularly dirty engine..
Still..can relax now. Binned the fiver's worth of plastic pipe, but will endeavour to clean out the little Trico tomorrow . It may come in handy again in another 40 years :)...... :)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Phil, Don't you know that Bliduth is in't north, that is why you could not understand them. Luckily there are very few colliers left, if they spoke in pit-talk I could not understand them and I was born in the village.

• Like 1