• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

When I was in my early teens I broke a front tooth by hitting the bottom of Arnold Baths.  My dentist at the time was a Mr Boyd on Mansfield Road near the junction of Woodborough Road.  He crowned the tooth with gold and I loathed it.  He said I couldn’t have a porcelain crown until I’d left school and finished playing hockey.  I really really hated that tooth as it was so noticeable.  Fortunately Mr Boyd moved on elsewhere and a lovely young ‘just out of University’ John Carberry became my dentist.  I begged him to replace the gold crown and he happily obliged.  That tooth has been crowned several times in the past 60 years but never again with gold.  

Have Gold in one ot more of your teeth ? Well thats one safe place, were to put your money.          Do you get interest?

Spent yesterday at the 'North West Hi Fi Show' at Cranage Hall Estate near Holmes Chapel in Cheshire.

Only a 30 minute or so drive from here, so no big hassle. Also a really nice setting and a super show which attracts hundreds of 'Exhibitors' demonstrating complete hi fi systems from the affordable, up to megabucks, along with accessories, tweaks etc., plus vinyl, CD and even pre recorded Reel to Reel tapes, from 'general release', through to 'Audiophile' pressings. Although my own 'hi fi' system is pretty much settled and I'm not actively seeking new kit, it's always good to hear new stuff, or to dream about having a big enough house (and budget) or dedicated 'listening room' to accommodate huge speakers, £150k amplifiers etc..

Just a little information to make peoples life a little brighter anybody noticed the date, yes its that time of the year where the long days end and the darker night start drawing in. I love bringing a little ray of sunshine into your lives.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, trogg said:

yes its that time of the year where the long days end and the darker night start drawing in.

Yay! the sun is on its way back down under for our summer, I am sick of winter already.

If it is any comfort your days will get shorter and between September and October you will be losing 2 minutes of daylight each day until the equinox

The news is depressing enough without thinking about winter.  Five people in a submersible have probably had their lives snuffed out and paid a great deal of money for the privilege.  In all honesty, I don't approve of such activities. The wreck of the Titanic is a grave, not a tourist attraction. Due to the urge to go and rubberneck, it's highly likely that it has claimed five more lives to add to well over a thousand already lost. Haven't enough people died?  

• Like 6

I have to agree with your sentiments Miss Sparrow its a grave show some respect to the poor souls who perished there. Rubbernecking and using your phone to film all sorts of incidents is becoming worse nowadays, some peoples first instinct is to get there cameras working rather than offering assistance or phoning the emergency services , what a sad species we are becoming.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’ve been involved in what some people might call ‘extreme’ activities. Flying, track days round Cadwell Park and Donnington, boating in rough waters in Scotland and the Lizard peninsular but I’ve always been in control of the situation. Never would I have put my trust in someone else to take me in a submersible to the bottom of the ocean. The Titanic is a grave and should be left well alone.

• Like 2

At the moment Channel 5 News is reporting the loss of the Titan and all five on board.

It seems that both 'end cones' of the vessel have been identified on the sea floor.  The theory seems to be that the Titan suffered a catastrophic  failure during its descent.

The officials gave no opinion as to the possible recovery of victims .

Personally I have no clue  whether bodies would stay there, or float.

I recognise the view that Titanic should be left alone, but still a sad loss.

The pressure at that depth is quoted as 4000 tons per square metre. If the hull imploded, I very much doubt there will be much left of the passengers to recover.

• Like 1

Any loss of life is a sad loss, although I might make an exception in the case of a certain little despot with delusions of Tsarhood currently causing mayhem in Ukraine.  Some people put themselves at incredible risk of harm but seem to think it could never happen to them. Why not? They're no more special than the next person.  I wonder whether, had they been informed that they wouldn't come back, they'd still have paid their money and gone. In all probability, they never even saw the wreck. A tragic situation for their families to deal with.  Let's just hope that out of this catastrophe more stringent regulations and safety requirements will emerge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

From my understanding of what I've seen on various info postings. All five were shown and had to sign a waver, stating they were aware of the risks. Apparently,  a section laid out all the possibilities of how they could die. They still signed and paid up. R.I.P.

What is it about 'against all odds' search and rescue missions from mines, caves, space, deep sea, etc. that piques worldwide interest and media coverage?  Tragic of course that five ocean tourists (not really explorers were they) lost their lives, probably during descent, but the media coverage seems disproportionate.  There was even a special programme about it this evening with Dan Walker.

Compare and contrast with the event of 14 June where at least 82 people perished when a boat carrying about 750 people from Tobruk capsized off the coast of Greece.  104 people were rescued and over 500 others were reported missing.

• Like 5

I heard an interview a few days ago, before the sad outcome of this was known. It was with someone who had been on one of these Titan submersible trips in the past and had to sign various documents and said ‘death’ was mentioned many times.

I also saw someone on the TV last night saying that in regards to the Titanic being a grave site, the Tower of London is also a grave site but people go all the time. Not quite the same is it.

• Like 1

Well it cant get any better than this !!

My yougest grandson Jenson and partner Hanna ask us, that instead of taken us out for a meal, was it OK to bring all things needed and cook dinner for us. Yes of course .

Well 10 mins later they were at the front door  Chicken with all the trimmings was on the menu, first things first I was orded out of the Kitchen. 

It was all go in the kitchen but I was very good and left the chef and 2nd chef to it.

It was an excellent meal and afterwards they stayed for about 2 hours and we all just talked. 

What made the day was not having to lift a finger but most of all was the Company young generation with matur (OLD_UNs) Generation.  Oh!!! lets not for get the meal.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

In our village at the moment are a lot of things going off. Yesterday was a presentation of Caritas and immigration. I hadn’t any knowledge really of exactly how many immigrants we had in the village, I thought there was only a big handful , I was in for a surprise. A few weeks ago my husband was approached by one of the organizers and asked him if he would recount his experience of being an immigrant. Not from UK but from Sicily when he was a young person starting out in the world. He recalled when he was the eldest of 7 children and his father had no job. He started work at 11 yrs of age and because he refused to kiss the hand of the Mafiosa boss ( as was the custom) he got sent away and had to find his own way back home . He walked all the way home in the scorching heat and travelled a full day.Years later he came to Piemonte and was refused permission to enter any public place because he was a Meridione ( from the south) he couldn’t find accommodations but eventually a “ guardian angel “ came along and took him under his wing. He told them of many other things that happened to him in the years leading up to when we got married. When he stepped down from the stage the presenters were in tears. He had made the locals appreciate how hard it was for Sicilians to find work and accommodation here in those years.  Besides my husband was a lady from Macedonia whose husband left her alone with her children while he came to find work here. She was on her own for 3 yrs before he joined her . She spoke no Italian and had no friends but now after 26 yrs she’s part of the village community. A similar thing was a young man from Senagal who came over as a boat person and is now married to an Italian girl. In the hall where this assembly was had photographs of many many persons who all have had a dramatic life in their youth but are happy and content now. Some of the stories were so sad. On the road leading to the hall the school children had drawn their interpretation of their lives and journey to Italy. It made me cry because these children as young as they are have understood what life was like for them. 
on a happier note afterwards the 3 people that had contributed to the telling of their stories had suggested a dish from each of their countries and offered a meal for all the  people who attended. There were little tartlets of roasted peppers and aubergines from Macedonia, couscous from Senegal and Penne alle norma from Sicily. Caritas had brought samples of their beer that they had perfected using left over bread. ( not scraps I hasten to add) I must say it was different still with the beer taste but it was very good. A lovely day made into a thoughtful event.

On a different tack this morning all the 80 yr olds were presented with a certificate , rosette and a lovely little momento of the event. A sort of medallion in glass . A beautiful momento of being 80 . This is the first year they have given a momento like this. ( I didn’t get one last year … boo boo)

Sorry it’s long but you don’t have to read it. Just thought it was nice to show you that village life isn’t dull. 
We have wine festivals. music nights every Friday in the streets.  Many more too. It would be nice to see a meet during the wine festival. 

• Like 6

Nonna, very touching and fascinating stories.  Thank you for sharing this x