How's your day?

We can always do a swap, I love damsons. Preserving them in jars is an alternative but it’s a long process. I have passed many years here bottling various types of fruit but now I’ve had enough.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

My damsons are pretty sparse this year. Last year, there were so many I'm surprised the tree didn't collapse but that's the way it is with damsons. Roughly, every three years, there's a glut. Last year, I gave them all to friends who either make jam or like eating them. I don't like damsons at all. Too tart. Phil obviously likes tart!

• Like 1
On 8/19/2023 at 11:38 AM, philmayfield said:

We have a dilemma with a glut of damsons. Dont say 'make jam', how much jam can you eat! I think I'll just eat them when I pass the tree and leave the rest to the wildlife.

Phil , An easy but no fail delicious method is to wash and dry your damsons place them in a jar and pour whatever your tipple is, over to cover the fruit and leave for about a month in a cool dry place. The end result is worth it.

Use Brandy, gin, grappa or any spirit you like. If you have any problems eating them I’ll come over and help you.:hungr:

23 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I'll stick to red wine.

Good on you Jill. Here in OZ we have a wine glut due to China imposing unfair tariffs of up to 212% on Australian wine.

We have an excess of 2.8 billion bottles of wine, 100 bottles for every man, woman and child in Australia. Every little helps and I'm doing my bit too

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

This could have been Bulwell this morning........except it was just one man playing it in the Market place.......had a little 'Jig'..then Eggs Benedict''.....before buying a nice circular 'Coffee Table''........for only a 'Fiver' ya know........Donna not 'Best pleased'' with it........:angry:

• Like 1

My cousin in OZ plays the bagpipes as do both his daughters . We are of Scottish Origen. He often comes to the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh with his team. Love the sound of them.

IMG-4586.jpg
Me enjoying a glass of Barbera at our wine festival in May. Buy wine with tokens. This stand was my nieces companions stand , he’s just starting to produce his own wine.

• Like 1

It’s nearly 10.pm and we’re sitting outside and the only thing we can hear is the cricket sitting on the wall .There’s a very clear moon and we’re trying to fathom where all and which stars they are. There’s a couple of planes flying to who knows where. It’s dark , only one street light outside next door and the only one along the road. Across the road up on the hill there are a couple of houses that have their lights on but all the rest is pitch black. It’s so peaceful.My daughter wants to sleep outside tonight . I don’t really want to go back inside but I’m certainly not sleeping outside with all the animals that wonder around. ‘ Night all. 

• Like 3

I envy you Nonna!  Despite being told by the media that we had the hottest June on record, I can’t say I noticed it and the summer generally has been rubbish, one lovely day and then several cool, cloudy and wet days to follow.  Enjoy your idyllic surroundings. 

Lizzie I’m sorry that UK have had bad weather but here it’s unbearable. It’s been 37 c until about 6pm and when I came in it was 27c. All the windows are open and it’s so hot. This is apparently going to last until Friday then it’s getting cooler ( so they say) 
Tomorrow is Alex’s 80 th birthday and for once we as a family are getting together and going to a castle for dinner. Sounds grand but it’s a very large restaurant in a castle. It’s awful that Deborah and James have different days off as we never seem to get together. But Deborah has managed to get her restaurant closed for the evening. We normally eat early at home but we’ve booked to eat later as it’s so hot . Goodness I’m sweating so much could do with going out again. Cool cloudy and rain at the moment sound good to me. It’s not so much the heat as the humidity is so high. 80%. 

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Congratulations to Alex at 80. I don’t suppose there’s much chance now of you both returning to Nottingham to open another excellent eating place? We started at La Bucca and followed you around until you left.

But you didn’t follow us here did you? It’s Alex’s birthday today its not today. . It must have been the balmy evening air last night that’s caused the fogginess in my head . I will pass on the wishes Thankyou Lizzie and Phil.

Happy birthday to Alex.  
I think we’ve had better weather here in Cambs than in Nottingham as I’ve  been sitting outside in the garden some evenings until 10 ish.  We are looking after a friend’s dog and she likes sitting with me in the garden when it’s dark, watching the bats zooming around.  As we live in a village it’s fairly quiet here which is lovely

• Like 1

PhilI don’t think there’s a chance to go back to Nottingham even more so now with Brexit which means Passports. I got a one a while ago although I did say I wasn’t going to get one. Alex doesn’t want to know. The nearest I think my daughter and I will be to Nottingham will be London. A late birthday present from my daughter , we couldn’t celebrate because Alex was in hospital. Then it was going to be too hot in the summer so we’re hoping to go after Christmas when she’s got a few days free.

It may not be that Nottm centre no longer has a vibrant atmosphere - it might be that we older Nottstalgians are no longer vibrant ourselves?  We all like to think that things were better when we were young, when we were full of life and hope for the future.

I dare say that were the centre to be magically transformed overnight into how we remember it, the young people would moan that it wasn’t as good as it used to be!

or am I wrong ?

• Like 1