DJ360

How's your day?

All:  I have an excuse for not doing the grass.  It's just started raining here. Drat... :rolleyes:

Col

Preached yesterday p.m.  I thought for a light opener I'd ask 'em how many had heard of Guy Fawkes.  How many had heard about Bonfire night.  I think about two hands went up.  So I told 'em they were a bunch of colonials and needed to learn their history.  :biggrin:   After all most of 'em came from England at some point.  So there is now a bunch of Georgians who know their history.  After all if GF had succeeded, America's history might have been different too.  We did get into the Bible eventually, but hopefully they learned summat.  ;).  We were never really taught much of the history underlying the event when we were in school.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Sod it, it's far too nice and sunny to stay in cogitating, so  I'll light the chiminea and potter about tidying the patio.

Loppy, Guy Fawkes the only man to enter the House of Parliament with..........................honest intent.smile2

Den Balfour club.

Jill if you need any advice as you go along just ask.

At last got my shiny new van back and they have done a cracking job now where are those boxes of .................cotton wool;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

After storms in the Hunter Valley and Central Coast of NSW I hope our Ben's family are all safe.

Roofing sheets in Lang Street Kurri Kurri

Photo ABC website supplied by David Cameron

metal sheeting lying on a road

I have cut the grass on the back garden earlier this morning,still too wet really but what the heck, it looks a mess but I think it will be the last cut of the year or near as damn it so it will have plenty of time to recover,I notice plenty of moss in the grass,is it too early or late to go over it with my scarifier you gardeners out there? been in touch with the local council again about the terrible smelling smoke that comes from a neighbours chimney,this person is the only one in the close with a real fire, stinks like hell ans really stings the eyes and throat, Mrs P up last night coughing and choking because the smell of smoke was coming in through the bedroom windows, had to close the windows, been onto the council for five years now and it still goes on,the property involved is council owned but they seem reluctant to do anything even though the occupant had the fire put in without their permission, never mind eh,it will give them some more paperwork to shuffle about,such is life

Have a great day one and all and try to behave (but don't try too hard)

Rog

Loppy, No it is not unusual

In the tropical north we get cyclones, the southern hemisphere equivalent of hurricanes. Heavy rains are common across the continent as are hail storms and high winds from fast moving weather fronts that move from west to east. The east coast particularly NSW is prone to what we call "southerly busters", where a weather front from the south, south west and drop the temperature 15 degrees in a few minutes and bring high winds, heavy rain and hailstones the size of tennis balls. We do have winter snow in the Snowy Mountains and parts of Tasmania, it even fell during a cold snap last week.

Not to forget the often long droughts and bushfires that even the large cities experience.

Image result for hail damaged cars

This poem by Dorothea Mackellar sums it up, the second verse is the most well known.

The love of field and coppice
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins.
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies
I know, but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

The stark white ring-barked forests,
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon,
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops,
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When, sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold.
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze ...

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand
though Earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

• Like 3

Rog, I got tired of using a wire rake on my lawn and bought a Black and Decker powered jobby.  I also hoped it would scatter worm casts.  I tried it a week or so back on its lowest setting and it was ripping the lawn up!!  Not the machine's fault.. just too wet.  I'm staying off it now until the Spring.

Steady drizzle here this morning.  Get a few indoor jobs done I suppose.

Col

Here in the Trent Valley moss in lawns is endemic. I spent much money over the years using moss killers and I’ve even got a petrol powered dethatcher. I now work on the principle that as long as it’s green I’m happy. Life’s too short to dethatch lawns!

• Like 1

Thanks Col, I fitted a scarifier blade to one of my spare motor mowers, does a great job and can use the moss it pulls up for lining hanging baskets,but as you say it's too wet now so I will perhaps leave it until the spring

Rog

I hate gardening and had my all my garden hard surfaced, brick setts at the front Indian sandstone at the back. Hooray no more grass cutting, pruning, planting... except I now have to jet wash everything to keep the green algae down and it's more work than mowing! you can't win

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brief return to Nottingham yesterday. Queens Drive P&R then electric Medibus to QEMC. Concrete jungle around there! Could not recognise anything. Visited sister in law who has advanced Parkinsons - what an awful disease :( Went a walkabout to leave Mrs PP and a friend some space around the bed. Newspaper, coffee and got lost twice. Not looking forwards to driving in Nottingham again. Four cars racing each other approaching Clifton from the MI. Cutting everyone up and taking straight lines at roundabouts. Total nutters. 

Did a harder session on rowing machine this morning. On a one year mission ready to compete in next years British championships. Got a lot of work to do.

The small cidre press will be loaded with pulped pears today to produce juice which will be sterilised and kept as a breakfast drink. The 5 gall already prepared will be brought indoors to ferment. Not made perry before , so a bit of an experiment.

• Upvote 2

1. A relative sent me a message saying his phones been compromised. So I deleted all my info about him and rang him to see if he's fixed it and for me to redo contact info, but he's not answering.

2. MOT due so I rang the service centre and that was not answering.

3. Road fund tax is due so went online to pay it. Didn't work. Tried again meticulously checking the digits etc 1 by 1. Rejected, they haven't got a current MOT even though I've got a current MOT confirmation cert in my hand.

4. Rang DVLA to query it, a robot told me "system busy" then clicked off.

I daren't have another coffee, I've had 2 already.

I think I'll put me feet up and have a day off.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I suppose thats what they call modern technology WW, you have the best idea,feet up and a day off,enjoy

Rog

I can relate to your post, Brew.  I have a brick patio.  After a few months it gets covered in this black mould.  Only way to move it is with the pressure washer.  Mrs. L suggested we put some water seal on it.  So I've done that, just this week.  I don't think it will make much difference but it keeps Mrs. L happy. ;)

Just do as you are told loppy, and shut up. Aren't you properly house trained yet ?

• Like 2

This is true Jill but, he does'nt always perform when your back is turned

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This old dog learnt some tricks a long time ago.  If it doesn't bother you too much, do it.  Makes the owner happy and takes the pressure off.  If all else fails feign deafness.  :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Rog, re your smoke problem. Are you sure they are burning proper fuel and not just chopped up old wood. The reason I ask is that is against the law to burnt certain types of treated wood because of the fumes they give off. One of the symptoms being running eyes along with coughing.

It's like pressure treated timber pre 2005 I believe the treatment contained cyanide

Still at a loose end this morning, so seeing as how Jill dint want me to fix her 'Boiler' or 'Grout owt'..........thought i'd do some real mans work.....and Re-Design my 'Mans room''......'hideaway'......'den' or whatever you call it..............not into anything physical or to do with being out in the cold,

So moved and Polished all my bookcases inc the books.......got my music system re-sited sounds much better....'Rhinestone cowboy'' playing as i type this,............sorted drinks cabinet out.........not much in it, bottle of ''Laphroaig' single malt and a bottle of 'Dalwhinnie' single malt, had em both 2 or 3 years, never touch Whisky now days........2 bottles of 'Sangria' in fancy bottles,only enjoy that in the Sun.........and 2 bottles of ''Messerschmitt'' schnapps...that will be gone in the next couple of weeks,.......its been hard work .....hoovered as well,..........be awhile before i do it again.........think ive broke a finger nail........lol

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Don't know what she's burning,the back garden is covereed in old chopped up tree stumps and branches ,with us living in a bungalow the smoke doesn't seem to rise into the atmosphere like it does from a house,it just lingers in the surrounding area,at first she didn't have the chimney lined,she told the council she had,then she told them she had an air brick in the living room wall which she didn't,she has now had that work done after the council got in touch with her,when all this lot started a lot of people in the close (mainly elderly or with medical problems) were complaining but only among themselves because she is not a very nice person,I said I would ask her about the smoke which sort of let them off having to ask her, I was told "talk to the f- - - - g council by her, not much you can say about is there,in the meantime the sore chest,coughing and breathing problems will just carry on

Rog

Bloody heck Ben are you entering for husband of the year or sommat?

Rog

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

its been hard work .....hoovered as well,..........be awhile before i do it again.........think ive broke a finger nail........lol

Oh well, if it's moving furniture, cleaning, polishing and hoovering you're offering, our Ben, you can get yourself round here! I can find you plenty to do. I've got more bottles than you an all! smile2

• Like 1