DJ360

How's your day?

All:  I have an excuse for not doing the grass.  It's just started raining here. Drat... :rolleyes:

Col

It's cohd here today.  Had to turn the heat up.  Hard to believe in Ga.  Bailey was whining during the night.  Took him out in case he had to go, but he really didn't.  It was pretty cool in our bedroom.  I'm wondering now if he was cold.  He had a good trim a week or so ago so maybe he's missing that longer coat right now.  He won't stay under a blanket though.  I don't think dogs like being covered up.  I gave him a pair of my worn socks.  That quietened him down. Maybe he was just missing me. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I have no objection to bonfire night has always enjoyed seeing the fireworks but I object to fireworks being sold weeks in advance of the day.  Two hours ago I came back from walking Ben a firework landed just in front of us, poor dog was scared to death in his hurry to get into the house he slipped on the steps.  My personal opinion is they should not be sold until November 1st ,but where there is money to be made that's not going to happen, also little/big cretins that think its funny should be made to stand still while fireworks are thrown at them.   Rant over.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Sorry to hear that Gem.  That can really set them back.  My Beagle was sitting on the window seat when lightning struck a tree in our driveway.  Tremendous flash and bang at he same instant.  He's really scared of thunder, fireworks, and gunshots to this day.  The strike was three or four years ago now.  Poor guy trembles and tries to find a spot where he can't see or hear it now.

November 5th why do we celebrate a failure? :):):) 
There are lots who would like to ..................parliament now

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

The strike was three or four years ago now.  Poor guy trembles and tries to find a spot where he can't see or hear it now.

We live opposite a park that has a bonfire every year, as a family we have always gone to the top of our house and watched it in comfort, Last year we took Lola and she was ok with the noise.  I had intended to do the same with Ben now not to sure, will take it as it comes see his reaction.  We take him every where we go to get him used to the noise of everyday life, but fireworks are a different matter, at least your Beagle doesn't have to put up with this outdated night.

• Like 1

No.  We don't have bonfire night but we have the 4th of July.  Lots of fireworks on the night and in the days and weeks before and after.  They're not penny bangers either.  Some of 'em sound like a cannon.  Lot of folks fire them off on New Year's eve too.  So unfortunately we get our share.  Jake never even seemed to notice them until the lightning strike.  Now he gets spooked at the first rumble or bang.  Nothing seems to pacify him.

1 hour ago, Bubblewrap said:

November 5th why do we celebrate a failure? :):):) 
There are lots who would like to ..................parliament now

I suppose many didn't consider it a failure BW.  Guy got caught and the houses of Parliament spared.  I suspect they might outlaw bonfire night in the years ahead.  Health and safety and all that.  Crazy things we did when we were kids it's a wonder we survived it.:Shock:

I know when we were in school the history behind it was never explained to us.  Probably not PC even back then.

My birthday was two days before it.  I always felt cheated because all the relatives bought me fireworks.  Gave them an easy out on presents.:rolleyes:

Loppy have you considered a thunder shirt, my grandaughters Great Dane is very nervous and hates to be alone.  Bought her one 2years ago and we think it helps. Get onto friend google see what you can find.

• Like 1

I'll have to research it some.  I guess I've always been a bit skeptical of how that could ever do any good.

I've never been keen on fireworks, even as a child. Don't like loud noises. We always had jacket potatoes on bonfire night when I was little and a garden bonfire. Sometimes sparklers, but that was it.

My cats have mixed reactions. Crystal, being totally deaf, can't hear the noise but often sits fascinated on the windowsill if any appear in the sky. Tarquin, on the other hand, is very timid and hides at the first unfamiliar noise he hears.

Until yesterday, I hadn't heard any fireworks this year. Hopefully, because it falls on a Sunday, we won't be subjected to it over 2 weekends!

13 hours ago, plantfit said:

The young lad sat on the box was using it as a drum,must have had some sort of microphone inside it because it did sound like a set of proper drums,

Rog

Rog, I asked my friend the drummer, he says it's a Cajun.

• Like 1

Thanks for that WW,it did sound very good and depending on where he "tapped" the box determined what type of drum sound he made

Rog

Strange sort of day so far,had to go to the doctors to see the nurse,had a letter last week telling me to make the appointments, it's to give a blood sample again,only went last month but hay oh,got up early and started drinking plenty of water,apparently if you are well hydrated the blood flows better,went to the surgery on me trike,it's only in the next village,nurse called out my name after about five minutes,I goes in the room and nurse said to me "now then plantfit me owd duck what can we do for you" well she would have done had she come from Nottingham,any way I said "blood test I think" she then tells me I only had one last month and don't need another one till the new year , sorry you've had a wasted trip,see you next week for your review. goodness me I give up, anyroad got back home and made a nice chocolate sponge cake with chocolate butter icing,just waiting for it to cool then I'm gonna get stuck in

Enjoy your day everyone and if you can't be careful don't get caught

Rog

Just for you carni.

• Like 4

Been working from home today.........phone and computer (get me eh,never thought i'd say that).....obviously keep peeping at Nottstalgia.,so get well soon young Catfan miss you and Sue in Bulwell         also been reading up on 'Catalonia'         find the history of it fascinating........Spain is a complex country but really interesting...........Catalonia and its bid for its own statehood is in some respects like the Scottish thing............don't mean to be political at all.......just find it really interesting.........does anyone else ?.........or don't you care ?..

• Like 2

Odd day here at the Brittany cottage. Another estate agent came to see us and he was much more positive and detailed than the one who came on Saturday. We agreed to go along with him, for several reasons. Then, this afternoon, the first estate agent phoned and wanted to bring a potential buyer. 6 pm (5pm UK) appointment for buyer and estate agent to come and view. Didn't turn up. Phone went at 6.30 - "where are you?"  Mrs PP (who is fluent French) "we expected you here with your client at 6?".  The estate agent assumed that we would visit her office at 6 to sign up with them before bringing her client to see us. Anyway, they are visiting tomorrow at 3 but we will not sign unless a firm and acceptable offer is  made. I am uneasy about this estate agent. They make us feel that they are doing us a favour. Tomorrow will be interesting......

Bang goes the healthy eating regime after trying some of that chocolate cake I made earlier,Mrs P dunt eat cake so It looks like I'll have to get through it by myself as we are not expecting any visitors this week,

Spoke to the company who made the trike that I ride, they are based in Cornwall, discussed buying one of the new style "Ergo Flo mesh " seat covers to upgrade my trike,not a problem said the lady on the other end of the phone,payment details duly passed over to her and was told the seat mesh will be with me tomorrow wow that is good service,looking forward to that arriving and fitting it, there is nothing wrong with the one thats on but it don't hurt to spoil yourself now and again does it?

Rog

• Like 2

Ben we have to tread carefully here or the dreaded bold 20pt type may appear.

As you said without being political I think it raises a moral question. Other than force of arms by what right does any government claim sovereignty over territory, and is the use of force justified?

Yes you probably right Brew, best shurrup about it,

I was just reflecting on my day,not meant to be political in any way,read up on Catalonia because i have a great interest in History, especially Spanish,

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Ben we have to tread carefully here or the dreaded bold 20pt type may appear.

As you said without being political I think it raises a moral question. Other than force of arms by what right does any government claim sovereignty over territory, and is the use of force justified?

As I understand it Catalonia was already a semi autonomous region of Spain.  In other words a certain amount of autonomy was already agreed, just as here with Scotland and Wales.  I'm not sure what provoked the referendum which started the recent bother, but as I understand it it was not called within the constitutional rules of Spain, which I think trump the regional rules.

Thereafter I'd say both the Spanish and Catalan Govts have behaved less than sensibly.  The Spanish Govt. with it's heavy handed attempts to disrupt the Referendum.  ( Could just have refused to acknowledge it) and the subsequent declaration of independence by the Catalan Govt when the ballot was clearly not complete/representative.

It now seems that Belgium has offered some sort of refuge for the Catalan Govt.  You don't have to take sides or express personal political views to see that the latest developments will have repercussions throughout the EU.  It's all rather worrying and I hope they sort themselves out ASAP.

Col

• Like 2

I'm getting a bit fed up typing out certain phrases which on many other Fora are represented by acronyms.  I'm a lazy so and so..  :)

Here are a few common ones.:

AIUI.          'As I understand it'

AFAICS.    'As far as I can see.'

IME.         'In my estimation/in my experience'.

ISTM      'It seems to me'.

IIUC       'If I understand correctly'

YMMV  Interesting one. 'Your mileage may vary'  meaning 'Your experience/opinion may be different. (From US Car Magazines)

IIRC      'If I recall correctly'

IMO      'In my opinion'

IMHO   'In my humble opinion'

FWIW  'For what it's worth'

Col