Vimy Ridge Farm

Whilst looking through old threads I came across a reference from 2007 to this farm, and remembered that during our many rides and drives through the countryside, we would often pass Vimy Ridge Farm and always thought it an odd name for a farm near to Kinoulton, and would often speculate as to why it had been named such. For those of us who weren't on the Forum 10 years ago, it may be of interest to some as to the origin, the story in the thread is no longer shown.

The owner of the farm during WW 1 was Sir Jesse Hind whose son, Lt Francis Hinde, was killed at the battle of Vimy Ridge on The Somme in 1916. Sir Jesse planted 184 Lombardy Poplars to flank the approach to the farm to commemorate the number of troopers from the Sherwood Foresters who lost their lives during the battle and renamed the farm. Sir Jessie later started a scheme at the farm to train 200 ex servicemen in agriculture helping in some small way to help them find work "in a land fit for heroes"

Thanks Nottstalgia for reconciling a question which had remained unanswered for me for over 50 years!

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

I just googled the farm Commo and there is a little bit more information on this site. There is quite an interesting history to it, but as you can see from the pictures, there is very little left today. Thank you for sharing your memory.

.http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/rural-sites/16353-vimy-ridge-farm-kinoulton-nottinghamshire.html#.WZ2rzCiGPIU

• Like 3

I walk I the area fairly regularly, the origins of this place are of course harrowing.

Its use since 1919 was inspired and designed to help and support those who needed a leg up for whatever reason.

It is indeed a shame that it should crumble away in this fashion; better for it to be knocked down, the land cleaned up and put to some sensible use. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly but somewhat scary is that when we were all children the survivors of the battle were only about half the age that WWII veterans are today.

Planting trees for the fallen soldiers was quite a common practice. IIRC correctly some trees at Clifton were for those fallen in the Battle of Waterloo. Obviously this became physically impossible in the post WW1 era due to sheer numbers, and was one of the motivators behind the Commonwealth War Graves scheme, which assured that every fallen soldier got a memorial, even if "Known unto God"