Nelsons Column who's next

Calling for Nelsons column to be knocked down what will the Pc idiots come up with next.   Robin Hood because he took money from the rich, Earl Grey because they don't like his tea,  Boadicea because she was a female warrior, the list could be endless. If these people are our future we won't have one.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I wondered when they would come after poor old Nelson.  Just said to Mrs' L the other day that Robin Hood might not last much longer.  It's getting crazier by the day here.  Those who forget and destroy history are doomed to repeat it.  I don't like the way things are going.

• Like 3

History cannot be changed but as Loppy says, those who fail to learn the lessons it teaches are doomed to repeat them.

It is becoming ridiculous and makes me angry. There is no reason at all why we should apologise for what our ancestors did, nor be made to feel ashamed of it.

What next, some idiot setting up a company with the aim of claiming compensation behalf of all those with relatives killed in two world wars?

The human race has lost its marbles, in my opinion! :mellow:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The statue of Christopher Columbus in NYC is apparently peeing off certain folks. It has been there since 1892, commemorating an event 400 years hence. So, something he did i.e. discover America, has made folks mad 525 years later! Those that are protesting say he invaded, not discovered. What was that movie? Oh yea, Stop The World I Want To Get Off.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Do we, then, have the right to demand the destruction of the Bayeux Tapestry, the Tower of London, Windsor Castle (I imagine someone might object quite strongly to that!) and any other edifice originally built by the Normans...well, they invaded us, didn't they?

Beats me why the yanks have suddenly started this nonsense. It's not as though they've ever been known to invade anywhere, is it?

About time such folks grew up and stopped their complaining because if that's all they can find to grouse about, things aren't really that bad!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

History is exactly that, it doesn' t matter if it was centuries ago or before PC times just a few decades back. It's stuff that is dead and gone. As has been said, hopefully society can learn from what's now recognised as past mistakes and it's the present and the future that matters.

But having said that, what frustrates me governments, councils etc, those in power, seem frightened to use it with this sort of stuff. They allow loony minorities with a beef to get their way because of PC. They don't seem capable of giving the same simple response many of us, well me least, might quickly give to folk who make unreasonable demands of us... sod off!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

It is not most Americans.  One of the things that impressed me when I first moved here was their sense of history.  In comparison to the UK it is a short history but they still valued it.  I used to joke that they were still fighting the civil war because of the Southern digs against the dreaded Yankees.  You could tell though, that it was mostly good natured banter the same as we get on here.

The problem really lies with a bunch of under educated clowns, born with a silver spoon in their mouths that are unable to think critically so are easily manipulated.  They have been brainwashed into thinking that the US civil war was all about slavery.  It wasn't but I won't go into a boring history lesson about that now .  You can check out the facts online or at a library.

Very often the first thing I say to Mrs. L in a morning is, welcome to another fun filled day in the loony bin.  I don't major on it though, because this is her country.  She was born here and I know that deep down inside it hurts her and even causes fear about the way things are shaping up.  We are in deep do-do!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

One thing our US friend should remember is that without the likes of Christopher Columbus they wouldn't be here.

I had an argument with an homosexual (I refuse to use the term gay) about a year ago. He got very shirty when I said to him "I don't care what you do in your own house just don't try to stuff it down my throat, and while we are on about it remember that without Heterosexuals you wouldn't bloody be here!!!"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I may have found out what comes next after Nelsons Column  -  The Odinist  Faith have requested that the Church of England give them back churches because 1,300 years ago they took over their places of worship. 

• Like 1

Not disputing you NBL.  Just not quite understanding your point.;)   I don't think too many here have any concerns about Columbus.

If I understand my history correctly he was more of an explorer than an invader.  I guess that would not matter to the flaky types that want to erase all history because it does not reflect their PC views.  Strange world innit?

We are having the same issue downunder. A few days ago vandals defaced a statue of James Cook who was the first European to record sighting the east coast of Australia.

We have Australia Day on 26th January celebrating the day that the First Fleet entered Sydney Harbour in 1788.

People are now agitating to have this date changed as they say it is offensive to indigenous peoples many have now have taken to calling it "Invasion Day"

A number of local councils have now decided not to have a celebration of Australia Day.

PC wallys are going crazy all over the world and they are now trying to sanitise and rewrite history

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

offensive to indigenous peoples many have now have taken to calling it "Invasion Day"

I find it offensive that the indigenous peoples ate James Cook, a hardworking lad from Staithes in North Yorkshire. Can we sue? :(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

You'll be upsetting the people of Marton  Jill, he was born in Marton and lived with his family on their farm at Great Ayton. He worked as a ships Chandler in Staithes, which was a  few yards down the road from my last employer before I left Blighty for good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Yes, I remember visiting the Cook museum at Marton when it first opened many years ago. Whitby was, for some years, my second home. I did my teacher training in that area. Fascinating character, James Cook. Sadly met a gruesome end!

I lived in that part of the world for almost five years, beautiful area of England, only drawback was you could see the pollution of Teeside in the distance. I lived in Skiningrove, a fishing village and old ironstone mining village, then to Loftus about two miles north of Staithes, when I worked for Cleveland Potash.

There's a Cook Museum in Sydney, which I visited once when I lived in Wollongong, and another one in Melbourne, sadly I rarely visited Melbourne, so never got to visit that one.

Yes, the Potash mine at Boulby. One of the most dangerous mines in England, so I heard. Remember standing in the car park of the Ellerby Hotel and looking into the distance where the mine could be seen. The Ellerby was a favourite place for lunch. Beautiful area. Loved it.

I worked there in the early years, so we were in the "unknown", CPL the owners at that time were pretty hot on safety,but accidents happened that even we seasoned mineworkers couldn't have seen.

I enjoyed my stay there, honed my skills as an electrician on the latest state of the art equipment that helped me in later years.

Cooks Cottage from Great Ayton in North Yorkshire was taken down brick by brick and in 1934 shipped to Melbourne Australia and re assembled. It is not far from the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Strange really as Cook had little or no connection to Melbourne

800px-Melbourne_Capt_Cooks_Cottage_-_out

By en.Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=765521

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Also remember visiting the building in Great Ayton where Cook went to school and the tiny church where he was baptised and some of his family are buried. The church, now a museum, I believe, is lit by candles only. A great sense of the past inside is almost tangible.

There is Captain Cook Museum in Staithes now incorporated in the Heritage Centre.  We spent all of my childhood holidays in Staithes my aunt married a local fisherman, she still owns a house on Cowbar Bank, our children loved to go as did our grandchildren. WE tend not to go in the summer holidays to busy, if you walked up the bank you went onto Boulby cliffs.

It's a good job the PC brigade weren't about when Hitler was running amok. I don't think they would have got far with Maggie either. I didn' t particularly like the woman or agree with some of her policies, but nobody can take it away from her, nobody pushed Britain about while she was in charge. The PC culture has done untold damage to this country, the language has been cannibalised to the point where youngsters could be speaking a foreign tongue for all you know. This needs to be stamped out before it becomes the norm. As Jill pointed out some of our ancestors gave the ultimate to keep this country free, we owe it to them to make sure that is the way it stays or their sacrifice will be pointless.

• Like 6

Next on the list in america is "Gone with the wind"  state of tennesse has branded it racialy insensitive,  this is after screening it for 60 years. What next book burning. 

History is what it is. it is a description of what happened at a certain point in time. 

I am more than a little disturbed at what is historically acceptable as a monument now. Can we ask the French to extricate Napoleon from his tomb because of Brexit? 

I have been to several Nazi concentration camps. Horrifying to a deep degree. You cannot look at life the same way afterwards. Are they a memorial? Certainly. Should we forget? No. Get rid of the camps? I think not. We need to remember. 

After that it is in the mind of each person. I can surmise that some people even now would find the camps to be an inspiration for racial hatred. 

• Upvote 1