Old Nottingham Advertising

54 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

The one which didn't ring any bells was Garnets the Renault dealer on Lenton Lane. Anyone know where exactly ?

Not sure but the ad must be around 1960 when the Floride was fairly new. Wasn't much on Lenton Lane ( Trent Lane ) then just the Abbey Bridge end. There are no garages on map of the time except a fairly large ' vehicle and service depot ' opposite the timber yard, corner of Willow Rd. Maybe it was there?

PS ..There is a garage showing on the corner of Gregory St/Abbey Bridge but I don't think that was called Lenton Lane at that time.

1 hour ago, TBI said:

There are no garages on map of the time except a fairly large ' vehicle and service depot ' opposite the timber yard, corner of Willow Rd. Maybe it was there?

That's the place which was later occupied as a parts & service building by Oscrofts and all the other Vauxhall dealers. 

The 'garage' at the corner opposite the White Hart was a fairly primitive set-up which I don't think would've sold new cars - even Renaults.

The shop was owned by Eric Towlson and I remember it well from my childhood. Before Eric, his father ran the shop which was originally on the corner of Bobbers Mill and Alfreton Road. It was well remembered by my mother from her own childhood. Eric's wife was a teacher and their daughter was at Peveril with my older sister.

I know I've said it before here, but Peter Anson was a great guy.  Set me up with my first hi-fi system at a good price and helped me with upgrades after that.  He'd always got time for you and fair prices.

Peter Anson used to be on Arkwright St. trading as "Pete's Electronics". He went upmarket, moved to Bobbers's Mill and sold such things as Bang and Olufsen televisions. We bought one of these from him thinking we were getting the very best. It packed up after a couple of days but to be fair to him he came round on a Satuday evening after work, with his wife and replaced a circuit board. All was well after that and we continued to buy from him for many years.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I remember that "Welcome to Nottingham sign many years ago in the early '70s when bus driving over Trent Bridge everyday, some wag sprayed beneath those words "And The Trent End Boot Boys" !!

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2017 at 3:25 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

The shop was owned by Eric Towlson and I remember it well from my childhood. Before Eric, his father ran the shop which was originally on the corner of Bobbers Mill and Alfreton Road. It was well remembered by my mother from her own childhood. Eric's wife was a teacher and their daughter was at Peveril with my older sister.

You are a book of knowledge Jill ❤️

• Like 1