Mentioning those old names as got me feeling proper sentimental..........Harry lived next door to me,we grew up together went to school together,chased girls in our teens,played football into our thirties,and even in our 60s went fishing together,.......he passed away suddenly last year and two others named in Digging the hole were with me at his funeral (northern cemetery) Mick and Nev.

Harrys sisters were also there and i hadnt seen them for years,.........and the funny thing was they mentioned the hole we dug.......and me trying to get them down it..........sad day.....but a few laughs were raised..........

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just before the first house on the road, you can see the garage where Nurse Heaton, the local midwife, kept her car. She lived further up Bobbers Mill Road. It was on the gates in front of this garage that my mum, as a 5 year old, was climbing with her tomboy friends when she fell off and bashed the left side of her head, resulting in damage to her eye muscles and a pair of wire framed spectacles with sticking plaster over one lens! 

Other memories coming back. First semi on Bobbers Mill Road, number 194, collapsed shortly after being completed and had to be rebuilt. The whole area was originally a sand pit! Foundations obviously shifted. The Jordan family lived in that house when I was little. Josie Jordan went to school with my sister. At 192 lived Alf Smith, his wife and daughter, Muriel...a Manning pupil! At 188, Fred and May Brainsby with their daughters Audrey and Kathleen...Manning girls too! At 186, Harold Webb, his wife and family. 184 Eric and Jenny Smith, their children Susan and Philip. 182, the Swintons, 180, the Beardsall family, Ken, violet, Peter and Margaret...so many memories.

Number4 Chadwick Road was occupied by Edgar and Elsie Hardy who purchased their house brand new for cash, five hundred pounds! They were considered filthy rich! In their back garden was a swinging garden hammock with a canopy and a rustic arch! In their sitting room was a baby grand piano which I recall playing as a child, and a pale blue oriental carpet on the floor! :rolleyes:

Oh, this is fantastic!

Must be quite early as the land on the opposite side of Alfreton Road hasnt yet been developed and this was where my mother remembered playing with her friends and making daisy chains before the houses were built in the 30s on Churchfield Lane. 

Opposite our house is Fretwell Street and the corner shop, owned at that time by Mrs Brown. On the corner of Bobbers Mill Road and Alfreton Road is Towlson's sweet shop which much later moved over the road near to the Capitol Cinema.

Interesting to see the rear of the houses. I can even see where grandad was growing vegetables and had a cold frame! He was a very keen gardener!

Although I wasn't born until 1957, this is how I remember these houses during my childhood and teenage years!

• Like 2

My son lives at Long Hill Rise Hucknall when he moved in there was an Air - Raid shelter, bottom of the garden. He cleaned it out covered the top with artificial grass, and now keeps logs in it for his log burner, before that my grandson and his friends used to play in it.

If any member wants a guided tour then I'm sorry but you will have to negotiate with my son, not me.

On 02/09/2017 at 11:38 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Dad made us fill it in after about 2years, he caught us taking girls in it, lol,

Still remember the names of all of em, Harry Fewkes,Ernest Scott,Pete and Nev Olpin,Charley and Mick Tacey,(saw mick,in Bulwell yesterday) and the main girl was Barbara Shepherd,  happy childhood days,

Not as good as my 8ft hole Rog............and i'm sure could'nt have persuaded Barbara to go in that...............lol.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...