Things you can't stop yourself doing

I can't stop the set procedure I have to go through before going to sleep.

First on my right side, right hand on left shoulder, left hand under the pillow beneath my head.

Just as I start to settle, reverse position except right hand does not go under pillow.

Almost there and I am compelled to turn on my back.

If I can't shut my brain off I may have to go through this rigmarole two or three times before nodding off.

Does me 'ead in it does...

• Like 3
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It fascinates me that they all die in alphabetical order? 

I can't stop checking Nottstalgia every day   Rog

When I had a daily newspaper I looked at the obituaries every single day. Not that I expected to see anyone I knew, but I liked to see how old they were, what they died of etc. Proper morbid. But I gu

Brew, that must be really annoying for you.  What would happen if you decided NOT to follow the routine?

I remember walking home from primary school on the slabbed pavement saying: "Step on a rack and you break your mother's back". I used to avoid the cracks but I never believed anything bad would happen if I didn't.   I don't do it now, but I sometimes count everything (if it is 'countable' like stairs or slicing carrots etc).  However, I climbed 8 flights of stairs this morning in the hospital car park as the lift we walked into went into alarm mode and refused to move, but I DIDN'T count the stairs at all...  

• Like 1

If I can't sleep, I play word games. I have to find, for example,  a poet, an author, a composer, a pianist, etc for each letter of the alphabet. If that's too easy, I have to find five! Doesn't usually take me long to fall asleep! Zzzzzzz

I'm With Margie on the counting - it drives me bonkers sometimes. For some years I have been trying to avoid counting the number of complete turns of the pedal crank on my bike between two particular potholes in the road. Sometimes I have to resort to turning the bike around, changing gears mid-count and even freewheeling in order to lose count. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, Compo, I sometimes count the number of 'pedals' I make from one place to another and see if it's the same every time...

When  I was a teenager, I remember walking up the road from when I got off the bus and singing a particular song in my head and seeing if it finished at the same place each time.  It was Tommy Steele's "Singing the Blues".   Do you think I ought to try it next time I'm in Nottingham?  I can remember the road and the song!

However, I don't consider myself to have OCD as counting etc doesn't actually control my life, and I don't do it ALL the time..

• Upvote 1