YMCA Shakespeare Street

I believe the site was a Victorian music hall and then a picture house at the turn of the 20th Century. Somewhere I have a photo in one of the Old Nottingham publications but it's always so frustrating that when you want to turn it up it can never be found. I have a fair few such books and I'll keep searching unless someone else comes across it first. Come on Cliff, you've a pretty extensive library and your memory is no doubt a sight better than mine as to where to find it !!

Commo, I think I know what you're referring to  ;)

This place, which was not quite on the same corner. This fronts onto Mansfield Road and the road down the side is Peachey Street.

S7MByX3.jpg

Where the YMCA is now used to be the site of various odds and sods.

Jceux8q.jpg

Anyone know when the Shakespeare St YMCA was first built? I always thought it around the turn of the 20th century, I saw a picture somewhere once indicating that, can't remember where now. But the map above looks to be at least 1916. I know the original building was certainly there mid-20s and then remodelled and had a new frontage in the mid '30s.

TBI,you've probably seen the same photograph that I'm trying to find! I hadn't got it mixed up with the old Regent but reckon that before it was "rebuilt" as the YMCA, the building had been a music hall and dance hall before being remodelled as an early picture palace. I'll keep searching, or was it all a dream?!

Yes, Commo. The picture looked quite old and was of the YMCA, it had the 'triangle' sign on the front. It looked like it might be well before the '30s. 

This image shows the existing frontage in construction, which looks to be mid '30s. I've seen records attributing 1937 to the building.

Slide1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I think the building in my map marked "Hall" and visible on the aerial photo (but gone on TBI's photo) is this.

LOUNGE PICTURE THEATRE / HIBBERT’S PICTURES Shakespeare Street Opened Tuesday 15th March 1910. Closed Saturday 6th March 1920. Re-opened as Lounge 29th March 1920. 1922: Prop., Notts & Derby Cinema Exchange, Ltd. Head office, 50, Long Road, Nottingham. Res. Han., J. Hague. Twice weekly. Prices, 6d. to 1s. Station, Victoria, G.C. & G.N.R., 125 miles. Closed Saturday 26th September 1937.

Which also gives a date for the building of the YMCA.

But before it became a cinema in 1910, it could've been a Christadelphian Central Hall in the 1890s.

• Upvote 1

The Lounge Theatre, near it's closing date and demolition. The corner building, Morley House?, was extended to form the new YMCA. But before that, was the YMCA based in Morley House at some point. Notts YMCA was apparently established in 1871, they must have had some premises somewhere.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM003655&prevUrl=