Nottingham & Notts Books

Having bored everybody with first some of my old football programmes followed by some old theatre programmes I thought I'd now start a new series about books which I have accumulated over the years and which are of significant interest concerning Nottingham and Notts. A lot of people will already have many of these books, but there may be some that people have not come across.

A large proportion of them deal with transport matters, including this first one. The only order they are in is the order they appear on my bookshelves. Other than a few suggestions and some guesswork I don't intend to provide details of where (and if) the books can be bought as that can easily be found with an Internet search. 

First is this large softback book which appeared in 1998. T. G. Hepburn was a Nottingham man, and the book is made up of a selection of his railway photographs covering the period from about 1919 to 1979 together with some biographical notes on him  There are large number of high quality photos taken at both the Victoria and Midland Stations plus some at London Road Low Level and many at other locations in and around the city plus several at Grantham in particular. The book may still be available from the likes of Amazon.

Front cover is a painting of a scene at the north end of Grantham station c1933.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Back cover shows B17 class 'Nottingham Forest' at Victoria on 3 June 1939.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having bored everybody with first some of my old football programmes followed by some old theatre programmes I thought I'd now start a new series about books which I have accumulated over the years an

I've just been for lunch in the old town in Nice and thought I'd have a wander around (which is not quite as easy for me as it is for some, being stuck in a wheelchair) but, anyway, that's beside the

Great to see others like collecting books. I have a fairly good collection of Nottingham and Notts books including many by Douglas Whitworth, also stories by Alan Dance, Joy James and Joan Wallace - a

I also collect books on Nottingham & Notts

I have about 300 books & booklets in my collection(a whole bookcase full)

I have 20 directories (Kelly's Whites etc ) a complete set of Victorian/Edwardian Nottingham (23 volumes)

There are about 20 railway  books plus a very good one on trolley buses & a couple on canals 

I had to sell my map collection when I moved to the city in June :(

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Had the full set of those books MI, lent them to someone and never saw them again,story of my life

Rog

Blores bookshop 203 Mansfield will have these plus all 23 volumes  Victorian/Edwardian Nottingham

• Like 1

Great to see others like collecting books. I have a fairly good collection of Nottingham and Notts books including many by Douglas Whitworth, also stories by Alan Dance, Joy James and Joan Wallace - authors who set facts into stories.  I also collect railway books, mainly about the railways around Nottinghamshire.  I also have books about Medieval history.  I am also trying to put together a collection of local authors for the benefit of my grandchildren.  This is on top of my personal  local history research which fills about 80 binders. I'm half expecting the house to collapse under the weight. I'd sooner read a book than watch the TV. 

• Like 3

I try to get on when I can but I'm very busy these days. Still working but not quite so many hours. I am trying to do up the house which I inherited. Also doing a lot with the Bilborough Local History Society. And on top of all this I'm still Gerrinode!!

So I tend to read myself to sleep in bed at night.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Barton 100 by Alan Oxley published in 2008. A large-size softback book giving a history of the company, profusely illustrated, including sections in colour.

Some highlights are a photo and brief details of Barton's experimental front wheel drive bus of the late 1920s, a pictorial section on gas-powered vehicles, the story of W963, and the history of the Skegness service.

I don't know if the book is still in print.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Back cover, with a portrait of Tommy Barton proudly wearing his OBE.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

• Like 1

I will keep my eyes open for those two books,just love different buses/coaches,don't know bugger all about them just enjoy looking at them and riding on them

Rog

26 minutes ago, Merthyr Imp said:

No I haven't. I have seen it in the shops but decided I couldn't afford it - maybe wait for it to appear on Ebay!

Last time I saw one on E-Bay it was more than a new one :)

On 16/09/2017 at 9:56 PM, Enigma. said:

how much do you think blores will charge for the Victorian/Edwardian Nottingham books though bubblewrap ?

On 16/09/2017 at 10:11 PM, Bubblewrap said:

About  £7 - £8 He had load the last  time I was there   There are some via Abe books apparently the hardest one to get is volume 20.   Oxfam on Market Street had a few on Friday

A few days ago the Oxfam shop in West Bridgford had Vol 17 for £2.49.

Bus Operators 1970 - Midland and Wales by Gavin Booth.

The East Midlands section of this book includes eight or nine pages of photos taken in Nottingham and Notts, including NCT, Barton, Trent, Midland General, Mansfield District, East Midland, South Notts and Gash, the majority of them in wonderful colour. It's worth having for this.

Published by Ian Allan in 2006, I got my copy at a sale price in a bookshop in Cardiff so I'm not sure if it's still in print.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Back cover shows vehicles belonging to Rhondda Transport and West Midlands PTE (ex-Birmingham).

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg