Nottingham & Notts Books

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having bored everybody with first some of my old football programmes followed by some old theatre programmes I thought I'd now start a new series about books which I have accumulated over the years an

I've just been for lunch in the old town in Nice and thought I'd have a wander around (which is not quite as easy for me as it is for some, being stuck in a wheelchair) but, anyway, that's beside the

Great to see others like collecting books. I have a fairly good collection of Nottingham and Notts books including many by Douglas Whitworth, also stories by Alan Dance, Joy James and Joan Wallace - a

Far Down the Shining Line - The Midland Railway in Nottingham Volume IV by C. J. Perkins & R. Padgett. Published by the authors in 2004.

A rather 'arty' title which fits in with a book of mainly locomotive portraits rather artily laid out.

I've seen one or two of the earlier volumes but not acquired them. This one, I don't recall ever seeing in a bookshop and only came across it on Ebay.  I'm not sure how easily obtainable it might be.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Back cover:

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

A book that is a MUST. Published by Book Law in 2007:

Untitled_Scanned_05.jpg

Chapters are:

The Midland Railway in Nottingham

The Great Northern Arrives

Colwick: Steam Sheds and Sidings

The Back Line

The Nottingham Suburban Railway

The Great Central Railway

High Level Station and the GC Connection

Back cover:

Untitled_Scanned_06.jpg

Also a MUST is the second volume in this series. Published in 2007.

Chapters are:

The Midland Counties Railway

Railways Around the Erewash

The Lincoln Line

Railways of the Leen Valley

The Ambergate, Nottingham, Boston & eastern Junction Railway

By Midland to Melton

The Great Central Railway south of the Trent

These books often turn up on Ebay.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Back cover:

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

The third volume in this series is mostly oddments:

Tramways and Private Sidings

The Preservation Era

Hidden Heritage

Specials and Charters

NET Line One

Published in 2009. Seems to be less common on Ebay than the other two volumes.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Back cover:

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

You don't happen to know the name of the loco on that front cover do you,It looks like the old Wilford power station loco I mentioned in another thread

Rog

The caption is:

'Peckett saddle tank 'Lady Angela' at work on the Kingston-on-Soar Gypsum branch in 1960.'

From information inside the book, the engine operated there until 1970. The line joined the main line just north of Kegworth. I haven't been that way for over 20 years, but from the train you could still make out where it ran.

'Lady Angela' was preserved, and I photographed her at Buckfastleigh on the South Devon Railway in 2013:

Lady_Angela_at_Buckfastleigh_24_7_13_2.j

• Like 1

Was there a thread about this loco some years ago, when you mentioned Gypsum works I remember a small loco possibly this one running from the gypsum works at Gotham through the pastures towards the GC line near East Leake,perhaps to the gypsum site there,all this in the early to mid 1960's

Rog

Never thought of looking in a transport thread about anything transport related Den,   Doh another senior moment

Rog

• Upvote 1

Plenty of bridge parapets and embankments to see still. Oh to go back 60 years !

On 23/10/2017 at 8:09 PM, Merthyr Imp said:

Also a MUST is the second volume in this series. Published in 2007.

Chapters are:

The Midland Counties Railway

Railways Around the Erewash

The Lincoln Line

Railways of the Leen Valley

The Ambergate, Nottingham, Boston & eastern Junction Railway

By Midland to Melton

The Great Central Railway south of the Trent

These books often turn up on Ebay.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Back cover:

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

Front cover appears to show a 9F at Bulwell Common heading south. Stationmaster's house in white just visible above rear tender.

Rear cover upper pic shows 'not a 9F' (04?. I'm no expert..) with the playing field between Cantrell Rd and Bancroft St visible behind the wagons.

Col

Yes, Bulwell Common station in the distance. The 9F is just passing over the junction for the line round to Basford North.

Back cover pictures show an unidentified B1 4-6-0 coming off the spur to the Leen Valley line.  Bottom left picture was taken at Bingham, centre is Lowdham in 1980 and the other is Bottesford West Junction signalbox in 2005.