Nottingham & Notts Books

This is the first of a series of four large-size softback books. Published by the RCTS in 1999.

Chapters are:

Historical Introduction

Colwick Yard and Motive Power Depot

Netherfield and Colwick - Nottingham London Road

Gedling - Leen Valley Junction - Basford and Bulwell

Nottingham Suburban Railway

Should still be obtainable second hand.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Back cover is completely blank so here's one of the many maps and plans of Colwick yard and parts of it that are included in the book:

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having bored everybody with first some of my old football programmes followed by some old theatre programmes I thought I'd now start a new series about books which I have accumulated over the years an

I've just been for lunch in the old town in Nice and thought I'd have a wander around (which is not quite as easy for me as it is for some, being stuck in a wheelchair) but, anyway, that's beside the

Great to see others like collecting books. I have a fairly good collection of Nottingham and Notts books including many by Douglas Whitworth, also stories by Alan Dance, Joy James and Joan Wallace - a

The third volume in the series. Published by the RCTS in 2000.

Chapters are:

Historical Introduction

Babbington Junction - Awsworth Junction

Giltbrook Viaduct - Pinxton

Awsworth Station - Ilkeston

Nutbrook and Heanor Branch

The Stanton Branch

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Back cover:

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

On 29/10/2017 at 10:04 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

Jesus and to think I was going to try and model that at my first attempt must have been barmy.:crazy:

Still I can dream found a copy less than £20 it's on order.

Colwick had at one time 200 locos(all steam) allocated (third behind Stratford & St Margaret's )
And don't forget Colwick's second locomotive depot the former LNWR establishment.

On 31/10/2017 at 7:47 AM, Bubblewrap said:

What about Vol 4 ? :)

I'm away on holiday at the moment, so as the busy doctor said when the man went to him complaining that he seemed to be shrinking - "you'll just have to be a little patient."

• Like 1

Although not directly concerned with the Nottingham area, four of my favourite books all depict the ex GC.

Rabbits & Runners by Mike Kinder, and three by Robert Robotham. The Last Years of the GC Main Line. The GC from the Footplate, and GC's London Extension. All contain great pics, and a hive of information.

And here's the fourth volume in the series, published by the RCTS in 2003.

Chapters are:

Historical Introduction

Netherfield Junction - Grantham

Saxondale Junction - Stathern Junction

Bottesford - Newark

Bottesford - Melton Mowbray

Ironstone Branches

Great Dalby - Welham Sidings & Drayton Junction

The Leicester Line

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Back cover:

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

A great series of books MI, and absolutely crammed with great pics, accurate maps, and a hive of information.

I think that'll be a long train a comin' bubble. Not listed in last week's new brochure.

There's a problem  the author has been out of contact with the publishers for some time now I've made inquiries but Bok Law can't give a date for publication  & it's about three years over due I do know that David has ben quite seriously ill though

I know, and quite frankly bubble, I'm sick of hearing the excuses. The last thing Sue at Book Law told me was that there were some additional bits to add at the end of the book. I appreciate that the author has been very ill, but this is getting beyond a joke. 

Book Law should publish what is available, and be damned. After all, this is about the era that is relevant to our age group.

Got some vouchers for Waterstones, so a visit will be paid on Saturday.

Town. It's the only one I know round here.

Crikey, I've only ever used the one on Bridlesmiths Gate. 

I thought so too TBI. They're not a patch on Wat's though.