Nottingham & Notts Books

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having bored everybody with first some of my old football programmes followed by some old theatre programmes I thought I'd now start a new series about books which I have accumulated over the years an

I've just been for lunch in the old town in Nice and thought I'd have a wander around (which is not quite as easy for me as it is for some, being stuck in a wheelchair) but, anyway, that's beside the

Great to see others like collecting books. I have a fairly good collection of Nottingham and Notts books including many by Douglas Whitworth, also stories by Alan Dance, Joy James and Joan Wallace - a

Published in 2015.

Nottingham (from both Victoria and Midland stations) to Bottesford covers just under half of the book. As with others in this series it includes photos maps and plans of all the stations on the line.

Cover picture is of Bottesford.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Back cover shows Sleaford and Boston:

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

A really comprehensive history of the railways of Newark. Also covers the Southwell line, the Nottingham - Lincoln line stations from Burton Joyce to Swinderby and the Bottesford line.

An A5-size hardback published by The Oakwood Press in 1999. May still be in print.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Back cover:

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

• Like 1

The Railways of Nottingham by C. T. Goode. Published by the author apparently in 1991 or 1992.

An A5-sized paperback of 80 pages.  Has plenty of photos and track plans and some interesting bits, not otherwise very distinguished.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Back cover shows a couple of period timetables:

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

An A5-size softback of 40 pages. Published in 2002 but I should think it's still available.

Front cover shows an 04 passing Colwick Woods on the line from Grantham.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Back cover shows 'Flying Scotsman' approaching Redhill Tunnel near Trent and the 'scrap line' at Annesley.

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

A more or less A5-size paperback. Published by Countryside Books in 2004. Probably still in print.

Only drawback is that it's not printed on glossy paper so some of the photographs are rather murky.

Front cover painting shows a B1 leaving Carrington tunnel on the approach to New Basford.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Back cover:

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

This volume in a series includes three chapters - about 60 pages - on the Notts area.

Published by David & Charles in 1973, I think there was a later edition with a different cover design. Should be obtainable second hand.

Cover illustration front and back is of Leicester Belgrave Road station.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Hollins - A Study of Industry. 1784 -1949.  Stanley  Pigott. First published. Printed and bound W S Cowell, Butter Market, Ipswich.

This fascinating book was presented to my father in 1949 for 18 years service at Wn Hollins and Co, Viyella House Nottingham.

How the aristocracy and wealthy of Nottinghan held all the official posts including the Mayors to further their wealth and influence. Lots of stuff about the history of hosiery, machines, child slave labour etc.

• Like 1

The second volume has some marvellous photos and also a chapter on the collieries served by railways in the Leen Valley including maps pf Bestwood, Linby and Annesley. There is also a map of the Bagthorpe Junction area.

Published in 2004.

Front cover photo is of Basford North:

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Back cover shows Kirkby South Junction:

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg