Nottingham & Notts Books

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having bored everybody with first some of my old football programmes followed by some old theatre programmes I thought I'd now start a new series about books which I have accumulated over the years an

I've just been for lunch in the old town in Nice and thought I'd have a wander around (which is not quite as easy for me as it is for some, being stuck in a wheelchair) but, anyway, that's beside the

Great to see others like collecting books. I have a fairly good collection of Nottingham and Notts books including many by Douglas Whitworth, also stories by Alan Dance, Joy James and Joan Wallace - a

34 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Do you remember Arthur Miller who also worked at City Treasury? He was my uncle. Sadly, passed on in 1974. A lovely man.

If my memory is correct, I am sure he is the chap who sat near us. Always worked with his sleeves rolled up and the window open, even in the depths of winter. He used to say it was a habit from a previous job.

Often heard on the phone "Arthur Miller speaking......no, not that one"

Let me know if I'm on the right track.

Sorry to hear he passed away.I left in April 74 with LG re-organisation

Phil

Sounds like him. Wore dark framed spectacles and not much hair. He married my aunt Hilda Sparrow in 1952. Unfortunately, his family had a history of high blood pressure. Arthur died suddenly of a massive cerebral haemorrhage, as had his own father and his brother. He was universally liked by everyone who met him. His widow is still with us, aged 88.

That's stirred a few memories, In one corner of the rates office there was Arthur, Geoffrey Atkin, Eric Spencer,  a couple of bailiffs (forget their names) and me and Bob Woodcock. Doug Pimbley (yes, that one if you remember your footballers) was the Cashier.

Quite a few tales about all of them,  which I'll share when time permits.

Off to Sawley now while the sunshine holds (with my spare cables plantfit)

Phil

• Like 1

Arthur Miller was born in July 1929 and died in 1974, aged around 44 years. I think he was on medication to control his blood pressure but it didn't prevent his death.

A few years ago, at a family funeral, I met his son, my cousin David Miller. It was like seeing his father again. The likeness was stunning! 

Another landscape format hardback, published  by Venture Publications in 2002.

Sparkling colour photos by G. H. F. Atkins with about half the book devoted to the Nottingham and Notts area.

I'm sure I remember seeing the photographer on those 1960s summer Saturdays at Huntingdon Street - a middle-aged man in a tweed jacket who used to stand aloof from us teenage bus-spotters (who could blame him?) who seemed to use his camera only rarely.

This book may not be easy to find.

Front cover of course shows a South Notts Leyland proceeding down Huntingdon Street:

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Back cover is a scene at Derby:

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

My contribution to the transport collection,Nottingham's Trams and Trolley buses,by David j Ottewell, Nottinghamshire county council Community services publication

P1060315.jpg

P1060316.jpg

Full of pictures and places in Nottingham

Rog

1 hour ago, Willow wilson said:

Top pic. Is that Trent bus garage in the background? 

Not sure which one you're referring to. This is the scene today and a lot of those buildings in the photo have survived. The white building at the far left at the top was a Barton garage.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZCaUYs2xmMM2

Well, yes, but what it refers to there as Dutton's garage is not visible on that photograph, being on Kent Street off to the left. I should add that whatever was there in my day (1960s-1970s) was never a Trent bus garage. Their depot was/is next door to NCT's depot on Parliament Street opposite the ice Stadium.

To clarify, that picture shows in order on the left hand side - the Central Market, the entrance to Kent Street, what is apparently called Huntingdon House - and which as you say housed the Trent booking office, also Cappocci's snack bar, Sketchley's and other premises - and lastly the Barton garage building (the white one). These two pictures show some of what was there, with the Trent booking office on the corner.

Trent_783_at_Huntingdon_Street_Nottingha

Barton_789_at_Huntingdon_Street_Nottingh

Now today's book. Barton Part One - 1908-1949 by Alan Oxley. Published by The Transport Publishing Company in 1983.

This often turns up on Ebay.

Front cover shows a scene at Beeston Square in 1925.

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

Back cover is mainly blank.

The third and final volume, from the same publisher in 1994.

I'd begun to think this third volume in the series had never appeared until I saw it on Ebay.  

Front cover is at the Red Lion, Sandiacre.

Untitled_Scanned_04.jpg

Back cover is practically the same as the previous volume.

• 1 month later...

Not about transport, but I'm currently reading a book by Joy James 'Yo'd Mek a Parson Swear'

It's very well written and full of funny, sad, interesting and nostalgic memories of her life growing up in Nottingham the 1940s & 50s.

With an eye for detail the author takes the reader back to those good and not so good old days during and after the second world war.

I've just found out that there are other similar books by Joy James so I'm looking forward to reading those too.

• Upvote 1