Catfan's Blog.

I had an appointment at the QMC Neurology dept this afternoon but it was cancelled at short notice cos the consultant is off sick ! Second cancellation I've had for this appointment.

Wanted him to explain in Bulwell terms the outcome of my MRI scan I had in Feb. I've since been referred to another consultant regarding the latest findings, appt in July.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wanted to walk in to Bulwell with Mrs C & Christmas was the goal. Got my legs working better by walking up & down the stairs, hard work but paid off. The last SH meetup was very hard, T

Age is just an irrelevant number, my body feels like a 90 year old with new bits added that don't work well, but I am still told to grow up. Having children young has many advantages ,you grow up with

Got kicked out the QMC last week & realised I was having daytime & nightime "Hypo's due to low blood glucose levels. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoglycemia Absolutely awful exper

Been to Skeg after an absence of nearly two years. The sun shone, the crowds were out & everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. A usual customary visit to Epton's  was made & still the best fish & chips Skeggy has to offer were enjoyed.

Fifteen hundred estimated motor scooter enthusiasts were in town for the weekend also a lot of motorcyclists were there too, with no trouble either. All things considered a smashing time was had.

P1030491.jpg

Ayup Dawson, look what you could have enjoyed !

P1030492.jpg

Too late youth, enjoyed em for you !

P1030493.jpg

Washed down with a pair of these.

P1030499.jpg

P1030494.jpg

P1030497.jpg

P1030575.jpg

P1030576.jpg

Finally, one for the Pianoman !

P1030585.jpg

• Like 5

When the tides out Skeggy must have one of the biggest beaches in the UK.

Nice Cyclops Rover

• Like 1

Does Skegness Pier still get it's legs wet or has the sea gone out too far?

Well remember in the late 50's, as a little nipper excitedly walking up Lumley Rd to the clock tower and beach having travelled on the train for the "pit-trip".

• Like 1

Yes the pier legs still get wet when the tide comes in.

I remember in the '50s there was a cinema on the end of the pier which was later destroyed by storms I believe.

As a lad about 8 years old we were taken there from the children's home in Skegness one evening to watch the film, The King & I starring Debra Kerr & Yul Brynner, even at that age I hated musicals, someone could be talking normally one minute & for the slightest reason start running around singing & dancing the next , I thought we were watching a comedy film !

I derived more pleasure from looking at the sea between the floorboard cracks than actually watching the film. To this day I will not watch any musical.

• Like 2

The King and i..............shall we dance shall we dance,,with our arms around each other,,shall we dance,shall we dance........or look at the cracks in the Pier,,

Yes we will dance ,on a bright cloud of music............lol

• Like 2

I had the pleasure again today of giving a talk to the ladies of Bulwell Baptist Church Women's Guild. This was 7 months after my last talk & was asked back by popular demand ! I think the ladies were being too kind ! However a pleasant afternoon & by tradition was presented with a bouquet of flowers which I gave to Mrs C for typing my notes out for me beforehand .

Tode yer she got a gud in me me !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bumped in to the lady from the Baptist church this morning who organises the guest speaker in the Baptist church Women's Guild & she said my talk last Thursday went down very well. Would you speak again soon she asked? Of course, I said.

Back by popular demand it seems !

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On May 9, 2018 at 11:46 AM, catfan said:

Been to Skeg after an absence of nearly two years. The sun shone, the crowds were out & everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. A usual customary visit to Epton's  was made & still the best fish & chips Skeggy has to offer were enjoyed.

Fifteen hundred estimated motor scooter enthusiasts were in town for the weekend also a lot of motorcyclists were there too, with no trouble either. All things considered a smashing time was had.

P1030491.jpg

Ayup Dawson, look what you could have enjoyed !

P1030492.jpg

Too late youth, enjoyed em for you !

P1030493.jpg

Washed down with a pair of these.

P1030499.jpg

P1030494.jpg

P1030497.jpg

P1030575.jpg

P1030576.jpg

Finally, one for the Pianoman !

P1030585.jpg

Is this a Rover 90 or bigger - is it yours?

• Like 1

When I was at Plymouth Poly (1969/70), I had a Rover 3.5. Used to drive home to Nottingham with paying passengers that I would drop off on the way. It had been an embassy car and had a flag pole on the bonnet. I would sometimes drive with my uniform hat on with people in the back, stop outside a Wimpy Bar or somewhere equally naif, get out and hold the passenger door open and get a giggle from the reaction of passers bye.

• Like 1

Returned home today from Blackpool. Had a smashing time with lovely weather. After an absence of 42 years not sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised, town center is a bit like the wild west but half a mile up the coast was excellent.

Had a bus ride in Tuesday to Lytham St Annes thought we might bump into carni & Chris but after checking all the fish & chip shops & ice cream parlours they were not to be seen.

Anyway will go back again hopefully .

P1070645.jpg

Proper trams.

P1070651.jpg

Never find a phone box when you want one then 8 turn up together.

P1070705.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Glad you had a good time at Blackpool catfan. We are still here at Lytham St Annes until tomorrow. We have had a really great two weeks, a very quiet holiday, just what we needed. Fabulous sunshine every day until today, and it has rained most of the day, but that is not a problem, it makes it easier to accept the holiday is over. We like to have the two weeks running up to the bank holiday every year, everything is up and running but not  too hectic. We were probably out on the cycles the day you went to St Annes, we cycled every day. Definitely  need to go home now for a rest. :biggrin:

• Like 3

Thanks Ian, the town center is undergoing a lot of change, it certainly needs it. Occasional street beggars but they face a £200 fine if caught. Many empty shops & the biggest killer is the stupidly high admission charges for the main attractions, the tower, Pleasure Beach  etc etc.

Good job there are a pair of decent town center 'spoons !

• Like 2

I don't know what BP is like at the end of the day because we are usually done in and flopped in our comfy chairs, feet up, tucking in to our fuddles by then. The main area has such a lot of entertainment and lots of people go there just for that, as we have done ourselves in the past, but we are out too much in the day to face the nightlife anymore.  During the day just out of season it is great, so much improvement has been carried out over the last few years. The Prom is so clean, the sand is so clean and even the sea looks clean. The view for as far as you can see each way is pure golden sand. Lovely. A bit different to  the 1980/90s when we used to visit. I won't describe some of the disgusting stuff floating in the sea, and on the sands in those days. Who ever has had the improvements done, should be very proud. We cycle from Lytham along the road and then get onto the prom where it begins, giving us a clear ride for three miles to the Tower, very pleasant. Can't wait for September, going to do the same again at Skeggy.:biggrin: 

Just read your post catfan, and I agree about the beggers. We were asked for money three times in about twenty minutes one day. Back in Lytham one day, inside Tesco Express, we were actually asked if we had a spare pound, the young man had his arms full of Lager and wine. He said it was for his friends and they hadn't given him enough money. I wont tell you what I said to him!

• Like 2

A bloke asked me yesterday & I noticed his expensive trainers ! A polite refusal ensued.

Agree about the beach, one of the best I've seen. The town center back streets are very poor though.

P1070615.jpg

P1070620.jpg

P1070712.jpg

• Like 3

The only things I remember from Blackpool are the Grand National roller coaster, the tram to Fleetwood, the fantastic Wurlitzer at the Tower, and of course the illuminations.

Here is Jasper Carrot's slightly rude "Day Trip to Blackpool"

• Like 1

You couldn't find Carni, Mick?   Well, you went to the wrong shops didn't yer?  Bakery and confectioners shops where the cream buns are made.  I'm sure you'd have caught up with her there.   Right!  Carni?  ;)

• Like 2

Right LL. How did you guess?:biggrin:

We are back home now, on the way for 6.30am, home by 9.15am, just one stop for a sandwich. Not one cream cake has passed my lips today.........but there is time.:biggrin:

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...

I was most surprised when I rang the Doc's this morning to get an appointment with a nurse today ! Normally at least a few days required, so I get to see the diabetes nurse to have my ears syringed this afternoon, been deaf all weekend, private clinic want £80 !!

Tried to talk Mrs C in to poking out me tabs with a screwdriver but she refused. ! wereno1

• Like 2

Trip to the endocrinologist at lunchtime. Blood test results. Cholesterol levels are down although still too high. They now do a questionnaire to assess your risk. If you score 10 or over, its medication, ie statins. I scored 6 so I'm off the hook for now and I've been discharged! Yippee!

• Like 4