Memories are great; but I often wonder if a memory is somehow just my imagination ... it's an age thing.

When I married at the end of the '60s, we had the reception at home. My mum made the buffet.  What I remember is going to the local baker and buying the cobs. This was a circular, flat product about 18 inches across, scored into a number of cobs. From the whole, you tore off the individual cobs. Then cut and filled them as desired.

I think this was the origin of the name 'cob' as the whole had the appearance of a cobbled road.

_original

This is the closest image I can find, but it's not what I remember; these cobs are obviously baked in 6's. There were a lot more (smaller) cobs in the round baked product that I remember.  Anyone any idea what I'm talking about?

• Upvote 1

Definitely Brew, and with flour sprinkled on the top too !

10 hours ago, Dave Mills said:

Memories are great; but I often wonder if a memory is somehow just my imagination ... it's an age thing.

When I married at the end of the '60s, we had the reception at home. My mum made the buffet.  What I remember is going to the local baker and buying the cobs. This was a circular, flat product about 18 inches across, scored into a number of cobs. From the whole, you tore off the individual cobs. Then cut and filled them as desired.

I think this was the origin of the name 'cob' as the whole had the appearance of a cobbled road.

_original

This is the closest image I can find, but it's not what I remember; these cobs are obviously baked in 6's. There were a lot more (smaller) cobs in the round baked product that I remember.  Anyone any idea what I'm talking about?

Weren't they called "Bread Cakes" ?

• Upvote 1

I have taken a photo this morning of what I think you mean ,the baker said they used to bake them regularly but now only does them to order . the picture is of a display of items he does .the one in question is the round one in the middle which has been pulled slightly apart for display purposes. Ignore the big cob placed in the middle and all the other ones, and you are left with a round piece about a foot in diameter where you pull the individual ones off as required. I tried to follow instructions after joining postimage . If it is not here I try again.

don't know what I done but it come out large and I don't know what to do. If it is a problem can some delete all of it please

bakers.jpg

• Like 3

Cobs are referred to as baps in the north east, and were round with flour on top. 

Trog; That's the jobby. So It's not my imagination!  But what is it called - what do you ask the baker for?

It has been suggested to me that the origin of the name 'cob' for a small round bread may be in coal mining.  Apparently a small round lump of coal is a cob. It makes sense that miners and their families would call a similarly sized bread a cob. This also explains why the name seems to be local to Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.

Dave,  called in the bakers a lady told me the name they have used for the last 60-70 years is cob ring , she said that customers called them a ring of cobs. All the cobs were smaller than the usual ones they baked and mostly ordered for parties and buffets. So it seems that there was no specific name for them .  So maybe it was called different things in different towns and villages by local bakers before the major bakers took over. Hope that helps.

trogg

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...