Camping in the cemetery

I have recently discovered that have a Great Aunt buried somewhere in the General Cemetery at Canning Circus. I have had little luck finding any sort of plan to trace the grave although I do have the plot number. Anyway the other day on a whim I wandered in there not having been for many years. The place is in a terrible state generally overgrown and no maintenance at all. However what did shock me was the tent and camping of what I assume to be of homeless or immigrant group. They all gathered in a group and obviously resented my close presence but I ignored them. I understand what a difficult situation dealing with these people is for the authorities and don't suppose they are doing any harm but I just feel that this lacks respect and should not be allowed. I was really quite shocked. Is it me?

• Like 1

I'm not surprised - and I don't condone it - but I suspect that homeless, dodgy and dubious types have been inhabiting cemeteries for quite a while. If someone is happy to spend a night there, they're unlikely to be interrupted or disturbed by the outside world. I did a bit of wandering in cemeteries when I was doing family history research, and I often came across the remains of food, drink, clothing, or whatever; the leftovers of someone obviously having spent time there.

No, it's not you, letsavagoo. The whole question of what people get up to in cemeteries annoys me. Like many on NS, I've spent a great deal of time in cemeteries, both churchyard and municipal, researching my family history. I'm of the view that these are the burial places of our ancestors and should be respected as such. They are not camp sites, playgrounds for children,dens for drug addicts or winos, toilets for dogs being walked by their owners or areas for any kind of use which causes damage, environmental pollution or disrespect. Headstones which, incidentally, are very expensive to replace or repair and are often works of art in their own right, are too often being laid flat or removed totally due to the danger they pose to children who....SHOULDN'T BE IN THERE UNSUPERVISED IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!  Personally, I would prosecute every single time!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

There's been a tent pitched on the right as you enter Wollaton Park golf club for weeks & you will see 4 or 5 along the canal from castle marina into town, there was a youth living under a makeshift tent at the top of St.James street, he was there for weeks. ...... Shocking! 

I'm not really sure in this day & age there is a place for cemetery's or even a burials, they all seem to be in prime locations covering vast amounts of land, ideal for building. Surely cremation, pig farm, landfill is the future, don't worry about it, you ain't coming back :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 9/22/2017 at 5:01 PM, radfordred said:

I'm not really sure in this day & age there is a place for cemetery's or even a burials, they all seem to be in prime locations covering vast amounts of land, ideal for building. Surely cremation, pig farm, landfill is the future, don't worry about it, you ain't coming back :crazy:

I think there is a law that there should be a cemetery in every city, that is why you will notice that the cemeteries are in prime location.