Any Hippies here?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kev ( fynger ) and i are hippies, have been since the early 70s....those that have met us would, i guess have known this...something about the clothes we wear would have given it away...it's not somet

I think it's pretty certain that 'Nam' had a lot to do with it.  I believe there were more than a few hundred US 'Combat Deaths' in 'Nam' in the early 1960s before the US Govt. even admitted to any in

On the subject of London - I was once walking past the tower when I heard an American woman's voice say "Oh look, an English hippy".  She and her husband then asked me if they could have their photo t

I read that too Col. Fascinating.

Regarding   clothes, I probably spent more on clothes, that most suit wearers. 

As to hair, well mine was curly, which didn't always portray it's true length, but my mates was straight. We were refused service in The Priory at Wollaton, one Friday night in the mid 70's,  by the ex services buffoon of a landlord in his blazer, and regimental badge. 

He probably thought we were finiancially bereft, but the money at Plessey at those times was unbelievable ! Pity I blew it all ! 

• Like 1

Ha!!  Similar thing happened to me and my mate John when we returned from France in August 1967.  We had come over on a very rough ferry crossing which was the last one for a day or so as they were cancelled due to storms.  In order to avoid the puking people and vomit that seemed to be everywhere, we headed for the highest point at the sharp end of the ferry and played at wave/spray dodging in th dark. It was also very interesting to watch a half drowned crew man trying to sort out some ropes and stuff in the teeth of the gale.   Not much Elf and Safety there!!   Anyway we landed safely but our clothes and bedrolls were covered in white salt spray.  Being starving we went into a Berni and sat down to await service.  We were ignored for a good while until we decided to count  out our cash ont rthe table.  Amazing how quickly we got served then..  :)

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Kev ( fynger ) and i are hippies, have been since the early 70s....those that have met us would, i guess have known this...something about the clothes we wear would have given it away...it's not something we outgrew or changed from....you paid the price for choosing to be this way, constantly stopped by coppers...you know.."just in case there was something in your pocket " or you got looked down on..some people would call you names, or there where places you were not welcome in....i went to london, and was refused entry into harrods...no shoes...but i can tell you one thing...our lives were happy and peaceful 

• Like 5

On the subject of London - I was once walking past the tower when I heard an American woman's voice say "Oh look, an English hippy".  She and her husband then asked me if they could have their photo taken with me by the tower and bridge.  Earnt me a handsome tip too!

• Like 4