Where in History would you like to have lived?

If you could place your self in any year in History where would it be?

I would like to have been in the crowds when WW2 Ended.

I would like to have been at the Berlin Wall when it came down.

I would have liked to have been at the Berlin Olympic stadium when Jessie Owens would not shake the hand of Adolf Hitler.

Last!! so you can all make a post  if you want to----

Would like to be in Trafalgar square New Years Eve,

• Like 1

I would choose to have attended any banquet held by Elizabeth I. Being a vegetarian, the food would be of no interest but I would revel in the opportunity to join in the dancing and wear a real Tudor dress. Music and dance from that era are one of my passions.

I would like to have visited Sir Thomas More in the Tower of London to tell him not to throw his life away because in 2 years' time, he would be able to gloat over the failure of Henry's marriage to Anne, still without a son!

31 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Anytime during the industrial revolution

Rog

Before I'd seen your post, Rog, I asked Paul where he would have liked to be and he said exactly the same as you!  Adding that he would have liked to be one of the inventors at that time...

Stephenson,Brunel,Telford,etc Margie,must have been a great time to be around,hard work and very unhealthy but to do something never been done before wow

Rog

• Upvote 1

There are many times when I would like to have been there. Rome at the height of it's power, Egypt. Mesopotamia or ancient Greece. There is a rider to this though, it would have to be as an observer not actually living the life.

The time period I'd most like to see though  is sometime in the far future. The things we take for granted now would probably have had us stoned for withcraft in the middle ages so condsidering the rate of change is increasing almost exponentially the next five hundred years are beyond my imagination.

• Upvote 1

I would like to have lived in the Baroque period, early 1700s of Bach's day.  I would have liked to have been taught music by him.  I may not have lived as long, although I think he was about 68 when he died.

A period of less pollution and haste.  Maybe more time to think.  I know medical procedure etc. would have been primitive.  I can't imagine having a tooth removed, but no period is perfect.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

would like to have lived in the Baroque period, early 1700s of Bach's day.  I would have liked to have been taught music by him.  

You're brave, Loppy! JSB was renowned for his short temper and impatience with pupils...or anyone who didn't meet his standards. I suppose it may have been resentment on his part at the duties incumbent upon him as part of his job when all he really wanted to do was write music.

I would like to have heard him play though...just to see whether he really did have 5 hands and 4 feet! ;)

• Like 1

Couldn't agree with you more NBL re. Use of the years we have.  I'd rather have 40 or 50 good healthy productive years than drag on to 100 as a misery to myself and everybody else.

Jill.  I have read of Herr Bach's temper and not taking fools gladly.  Hopefully we could develop a bit of banter.  :biggrin: I'd have to learn German first though.  If I had to write a new piece every week, train a choir, teach school, deal with church politics etc. as well as my own practise I might get a bit irritable too. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1919 and the mews in London where WO Bentley co-ordinated the efforts  of the team that designed/built his first cars.

I would willingly have been a minion in that line up.

Must have been inspiring in more ways than one.

I think most of us (like everyone else throughout history) have lived through historical times,the terrible wars of Korea and Vietnam both changed the world forever both polically and socially,the moon landings and space travel in general,the ongoing mess in America with the so called race issues and not forgetting the problems in Africa (and all other continents for that matter),all these and much more have and are changing the world we live in and the way of thinking of the inhabitants of this troubled planet of ours

Rog

• Upvote 1

Members please don't take this topic to serious as  I posted it only for a bit of fun.

Just one more 

I would like to have been in South Africa when the released "Nelson Mandela"

But I was in MUNICH when the Red Men (FOREST) won the European Cup.

Wyoming USA 1890s.......................and been part of ''the hole in the wall gang''.............when men drank coffee without sugar and milk.........and walked thru swing doors...........lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Legend has it that Butch Cassidy, the Sundance Kid, and also The Wild Bunch were part of the Hole in the Wall Gang. 

• Like 1

You'd have to carry a six gun Ben.  No shoplifters to chase.  The ladies would probably take a shotgun to you if you rubbed 'em the wrong way.  I bet they'd think Liberty bodices were for tender foots too.  You might make a good sheriff, but sixguns out on the street at noon could be uncomfortable with the Hole in the wall gang.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When men were MEN , 

Two of my favourite films, BC etc, and the Wild Bunch, along with The Long Riders.

I loved that series Lonesome Dove with Robert Duvall, brilliant. He was another really hard nut !

• Like 1