Jill,

GCW and I have been corresponding recently about Patsy Taylor when she lived at the corner of Fretwell Street and Bobbers Mill Road. Interestingly, do you have any recollections of Patsy at all?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember being pushed in my pram and also in my pushchair. I also remember being in my cot in my parents' bedroom at Bobbers Mill. Not always so clear about what I did last week! 

My Grandfather was Harold Aaron Priestley. He's on the screen on the right hand side. I have a picture of it but it's on the PC and I'm on the iPad now. He was a native of St Anns and married my Grand

I tell you what Jill, just found this thread and until then, thought that I was the only one that can remember stuff like that. I can remember being pushed in a pushchair and nursery, most significant

@Alpha

I remember Patsy only vaguely as she was much older than I.  My mother sometimes mentioned her as being a bit, shall we say, flighty. I know GCW was friendly with her as they are more the same age.

I think I've mentioned elsewhere my aunt Edna's teasing of Frank Taylor when they were young by arranging dates and not turning up.  Edna was extremely good looking and usually had a trail of admirers in her wake of whom Frank was one. In the end, he gave up and married someone else!

On 5/9/2021 at 8:13 PM, Jamhel said:

I realise this is an old thread but..my grandma and grandad were Annie and William Wiley who lived at 88 Bobbers Mill Road. This thread has really interested me - I recognise some of the names from visiting my grandparents in the 1960's/70's. I have passed the link to my dad (Peter Wiley) who is mentioned in one of the posts as he will possily have other memories of the area.

I lived next door. I have many memories of the Wiley family. Mr Wiley had a workshop in his attic and was really talented with woodwork. He showed me some basic tool handling with wood.

I can recall the night he died. His neighbours really did get together and gave what support they could. I also recall Mrs Wiley. My father maintained her garden for quite some time. He did it for nothing but Mrs Wiley became quite imperious and saying that the work was not good enough, so my dad had nothing more to do with her garden. 

Vaguely I recall some relatives to the Wileys who had Northern Ireland connections. 

• Like 1

During my recent chat with Gerald Chandler, he mentioned Jeffrey Wiley and recalled that he lived with his grandma on Bobbers Mill Road. He knew her quite well and remembered that she had a quince bush in her front garden. She used to give the quinces to him and he would take her a jar or two of quince jelly made from them.

Jeffrey, I think, arrived at Berridge in the penultimate year of junior school and it was thought that he had previously lived somewhere in the Eastwood area. 

A few years ago, when we'd come to Nottingham for a meet up, Chulla brought us a huge bag of quince from his garden.  I made lots of quince jelly that year!

On the subject of the houses where @mercurydancer

lived, I recall a family named Cheetham. I think the Chap's name was Donald, although I don't know why. There was a daughter named Sharon who was around my older sister's age. Certainly older than myself.  I think they lived at the first house after Darley. Around number 98, or 96?

On 5/14/2021 at 9:11 PM, mercurydancer said:

I lived next door. I have many memories of the Wiley family. Mr Wiley had a workshop in his attic and was really talented with woodwork. He showed me some basic tool handling with wood.

I can recall the night he died. His neighbours really did get together and gave what support they could. I also recall Mrs Wiley. My father maintained her garden for quite some time. He did it for nothing but Mrs Wiley became quite imperious and saying that the work was not good enough, so my dad had nothing more to do with her garden. 

Vaguely I recall some relatives to the Wileys who had Northern Ireland connections. 

Jeffrey Wiley was my step-brother. As you say, your parents gave a lot of support to my grandparents. Unfortunately as my grandma aged in the 1970's she did become quite 'difficult' and 'demanding'.

I have memories of playing with the children who lived around where my grandparents lived when I visited. This would have been during the 1960's. I vaguely remember Kim and Gaye Machin. I also think there might have been a couple of boys who lived further along towards the church.

I occasionally went to church with my grandma on a Sunday.

I notice on an earlier post you mention you are researching Hyson Green soldiers. My grandad's war records are on Ancestry etc. Alternatively I can forward a download to you if would like.

I asked my dad about the factory across the road and it was Smith's brass foundry (I think this was queried in someone's post earlier).

If anyone has any queries about the area I can see if my dad is able to come up with anything.

• Like 1

I have a vague recollection of Jeffrey going to Sunday School at St Stephen's.

Kim Machin was a close friend towards the end of the Berridge years. She isn't on the photo but she appears on others in the Berridge thread. She went to Bluecoat and I went to Manning. We lost touch after that. Her family were nice people and, of course, Major the dog!

How is Jeffrey? I hope he's still with us and keeping well.

Hi jamhel

The factory across the road was not quite a brass foundry but a castings factory for huge valves used mainly in the north sea oil industry. 

I would very much like to hear about your grandfather's military experience. 

I still have a toy duck your grandfather made for me. 

I am saddened to hear of Jeffrey passing away. 

Major the dog deserves his own thread. I joined Notts police and Major was something of a legend then. Not with major, but in training, I put the padded  suit on and the dog attacked on command. I was possibly at that point one of the fittest constables that notts constab had.  I fought like hell against the dog but it took me down. 

• Like 2

I remember the first time I met Major. I was 9 and not used to dogs, never mind ones his size!

He came into the sitting room, where I was sitting on the sofa. Major had a good sniff at me, then put a huge front paw either side of me, thus effectively preventing my escape, and licked my face.  He was a real character and Kim and Gaye loved him to bits.

• Like 1