Park Place, off Park Row

Can anybody help me please I'm trying to find any pictures or information on park place which was just off park row, my mum grew up there in the 40s and 50s and is keen to find some pics or anything that can take her back in time. 

I think cliff Ton's your man for this one. I knew Park Row pretty well but don't remember a Park Place unless it was somewhere on the site of what became the Nottingham Playhouse or the bus station at the junction with Maid Marian Way.

Park Place was Chapel Bar end of Park Row. Co-Operative House dead ahead, the entrance is on the right of the picture. Some of the houses in Park Row woud have backed on to the side of the Carlton Cinema...

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM000922&prevUrl=

Yes, of course! I have a memory of standing outside the construction which would later become Brentford Nylons and looking across at what, to me, was a skyscraper under construction on the other side of the road. I was waiting with my mother for the bus on GRANBY STREET and recall being terrified that the tall building was going to fall over and hit us! I'd forgotten all about that until Granby Street was mentioned!

33 minutes ago, TBI said:

Some of the houses in Park Row woud have backed on to the side of the Carlton Cinema...

And nice looking properties they were too. Well built, stylish designs. Criminal act to have destroyed those to create Maid Marian Way which I think was a bl**dy eyesore from the word go! :angry:

• Like 1

I'd looked at it but not got round to it ;)   The entrance to Park Place is below my red arrow.

IhYugUL.jpg

This is also interesting because it shows, among other things, the rear of the buildings which were demolished to make way for the Playhouse - in the top left corner.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

....and because it's a later date, it also shows the early version of Mount Street bus station.  

People get worked up about the destruction of places such as the Black Boy and Drury Hill, but nobody ever mentions the demolition carried out to make way for the ugly concrete thing which is the Playhouse.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You're right, CT. Looking at those photos, I'm struck by the diverse range of buildings in the area. To recreate anything like these today would cost a prohibitive amount of money, assuming there is anyone with the required skills. Yet, someone thought it fitting to raze them to make way for reinforced concrete monstrosities. It was criminal and shouldn't, in my opinion, have been permitted.

Unfortunately our council decided a few years ago to demolish a crescent of regency houses to build a monstrosity.  A new council house all red brick.  Newcastle council not unlike Nottingham razed a regency arcade and built ugly office block and car park, which they have since pulled down as was never used to capacity.

Thank you everyone for all your replies and taking the time to help me with this topic. I've become very interested in the history of the city and its buildings and architecture ever since I watched 'connie ' on dvd! And hadn't realised how much the city had changed. I also happen to have the luck to work in one of the beautiful buildings managed to survive with only moderate alteration! The old dog and bear pub on bridlesmith gate which is now whittards of Chelsea. Once again thank you everyone. 

Dan 

• 2 years later...
On 9/25/2017 at 8:51 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Yes, of course! I have a memory of standing outside the construction which would later become Brentford Nylons and looking across at what, to me, was a skyscraper under construction on the other side of the road. I was waiting with my mother for the bus on GRANBY STREET and recall being terrified that the tall building was going to fall over and hit us! I'd forgotten all about that until Granby Street was mentioned!

I realise this is going back a bit little sis., but you saying you were waiting on Granby St., outside Brentford nylons, means you'd be be waiting for either, 16,16A, 32, 30 or 62. After MMW was built, they moved the stops across the road. Just saying is all.

• Like 1

Ah, that makes sense, big brother! We'd be going home to Bobbers Mill!  I do recall the bus stops being moved around a lot during that period. At one stage,  the bus went from Hanley Street! I suppose, with all the construction going on, it was unavoidable!