RIP Scouse Git, Tony Booth dies

The death was announced yesterday of Tony Booth aged 85. Best remembered by many for playing Mike Rawlins, the left wing son-in-law of Alf Garnett in Till Death Us Do Part.

Called by Alf a "randy scouse git" or "Shirley Temple"  his arguments and his "discussions" with Alf gave us many laughs in a program which could never be made today.

Never held with his political rants, but he sure made me laugh, the Scouse Git ! RIP.

Widely used by Cockneys............as in ''Del-boy''........who used it a lot..........ie cheeky git........to us in Nottingham we'd say get'.......as in leary get,.........again i find the Cockney Git...........much more acceptable..........whereas 'get' sounds course..........in fact i find 'Git' very funny..........and when cockneys use the F and C word........i also find funny.............but not our pronunctiation (sp).........that answer your question Dave (rodney)?..........not you Loppy,but ive come across many GITS in my time...........

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

........to us in Nottingham we'd say get'.......as in leary get,.........again i find the Cockney Git...........much more acceptable..........whereas 'get' sounds course......

You're correct ben. Apparently 'git' is actually derived from 'get', a very old term insinuating amongst other things, a b@st@rd.

I remember down the Medders it was commonly used by us kids. ( Not that we was b@st@rds lol...)

• Like 2

Tony Booth seemed to be a bit of a wild one..........did and said what he wanted.........liked his women and drink........still got to 85.....i say well played Sir.......................RIP Tony

So it is one whose father is unknown. :biggrin:. Regardless of how one pronounces it? 

Not ot a word I'd come across until I saw Ben, err.  I mean Alf using it back in the 60s.  He had a way of saying it that you knew was not a compliment to the one mentioned.  Lol.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, denshaw said:

The Monkees had a hit with a song called alternate title, the original title was randy scouse git. Tony was also the father of Cherie Blair. RIP Tony.

He was a great actor and hellraiser.....May he RIP...