Are all posts appropriate and necessary

1 hour ago, NewBasfordlad said:

Nonna asks 'is history really true?' I am watching a series on BBC 4 at the moment where a lady historian exposes the spin put on history by those who wrote it at the time. Very, very interesting.

Problem becomes. who decides what is spin and what actually happened?  How do they know it is spin and not the honest, if mistaken, view of the person that wrote it?

As you know there is still a lot of dissension about the Kennedy assassination in 1963.  Will we ever conclusively prove what happened.? I doubt it.  It will have to wait for eternity and there are many different views on how that will play out.  (Not going there. :rolleyes:)

We are seeing this in our so called news programs at this very time.   I have come to the conclusion that at best history can only deal in generalities, like the invasion of 1066.  The rest is open to a lot of argument and revision.  There are books and websites today questioning what we learned of the history of WW2 and who was responsible for what.  I'm not going there as it could rapidly decline into argument that I'm not qualified for.  I don't want that.  Even those directly involved only see a minute part of the overall picture often distorted by the propaganda of both sides.

As far as the original discussion on the thread is concerned.  Be quick to speak well of those who have treated us well.  While we may mention some of the bad stuff as we perceived it at the time.  Don't bother using names.   Only leads to more trouble and argument.  Not to mention the risk of lawsuits.  That's not being PC.  Just keeping out of trouble.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

That's Lucy Worsley, NBL.  She's a s a historian, author, Chief Curator at Historic Royal Palaces and well up on her subject.  A bloody good presenter too! :)

• Like 4

Remember 'spin' is just a contemporary term for something that is as old as humanity... folk distorting facts to suit their agendas, making up 'facts' that don't exist, suppressing facts that don't support their arguments etc..

Then historians take these 'facts' and put their own interpretations, sometimes genuine, but sometimes because reputations can be considerably enhanced by propounding new views or discoveries....

Then politicians and people of power take these 'facts' and use them or suppress them depending on their needs...

Then media become involved and report based on their own agendas.. bad news sells papers etc...

Then the man in the street takes it all in; misunderstands and tells his neighbour, who didn't have a clue anyway, or does understand and either passes on the 'correct' version or ....goes back to the first sentence.

Bottom line is everything should be taken with a huge pinch of salt...even if its happening today and not hundreds of years ago. 'Fake news' is the new Spin. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2