What would you relive if you could?

A few occasions I would love to relive but only if body could become the age it was then. First would be my wedding day in Buxton.

The vicar was a 'sky pilot' in his younger days better known as a military padre, I and the best man called in the Devonshire pub next to the church for a pint whilst the car went for the bride. Who should be there with a pint of best but the vicar, we shared a pint and had a chat then looking at his watch he said "time to go,follow me". Off we went through the grave yard and entered the church through the vestry and were led to our places, what I didn't know was my mother amongst others was going barmy out the front of the church because they thought we had not arrived.

I looked at my lady walking down the aisle toward me and had a lump in my throat for the next hour, formal reception in the afternoon, followed by a PU and dance in the evening, great fun with my caving and climbing mates. Left the pub after 11, late licence and made our way by foot down Spring Gardens 3/4s of the way down a voice shouts "I have been waiting for you two, come on in" Alf the owner of a nightclub and restaurant where I was doorman for a time had a table set for two in a quite corner and provide prime steaks and more wine, we eventually got to bed at two in the morning, bladdered:crazy: would hardly do it justice, but to relive it I would have to be 25 again and in fine drinking fettle which I am not these days.

There would be more days I would like to relive but that one would always be top of the list.

• Like 3

Seems to me like wedding days are the big ones, and I think that is the way it should be.  

Seems as as though no matter we did on that day there was always room for a laugh.  Good memories, keep 'em coming.  :rolleyes:

I really enjoyed the day I got my bachelors in religious education.   I wish a few of my teachers from the Chandos academy could have been there.    That'd teach 'em for calling me thick.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Not a biggie for anyone else but a personal best for me.

I spent the spring and summer of 67 trying to beat a bit of rock in the Llanberis pass, almost every weekend would see me and a friend in a tent at the base of Dinas Cromlech we were trying to climb the 'Flying Buttress'. I would lead and fail at the final crux, Roy my climbing buddy would lead and ...............fail at the final crux, we just could not seem to get it right. Then one morning we were talking to another guy before we set off "try this move on that bit" he said and explained what he meant. Bugger me it worked, we had to climb it twice that day once for Roy to lead and once for me and I'll never forget that feeling of elation has I stepped over the top.

Best of it is when we came down we found out the man who had put us right was none other than Joe Brown a famous rock climber, I have never met the man again and still owe him a pint for that one.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

As I was walking by the ruins of Dirlot Castle, a medieval castle built on a rock (See photo) yesterday I was thinking about old stonework - as you do. It occurred to me that it would be great to take a journey back in time and stop off in three different periods:

1. The Neolithic Age(new stone age) to get an insight into the early stone monument builders; why and how they did it.

2. The Bronze Age to see how they developed their stonework from early Neolithic stuff.

3. Iron Age to watch them build a stone Broch (fortified tower of stone)

There is a project running in the far north of Scotland to build a new Broch.  The problem is that no-one knows how it is done and a lot of experimental archaeology is having to take place in order to try and understand the processes involved.  Some of the ruinous broch remains were extremely well built, with tight joints and precision stone setting.  One has to wonder how it was done with just stone tools?

The rock upon which Dirlot castle once stood.  All that now remains is a single course of stonework on the south side of the rock.37558857572_9eb713122d_h.jpg

• Like 4
  • 3 years later...
On 10/7/2017 at 6:14 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Thanks for lifting the ban Loppy.........there are so many memorable days from yester-year.........i won't bore you with all of em.........obviuosly Weddings and childrens births were magic times,........even some divorce days were memorable...along with days my kids made me proud Uni graduation and passing out days in the Army..........and serving in War Zones.....but i won't go on about them it gets to deep.

So one from way back in 1965 i will relate............twas xmas and a friend from Tamworth invited me and my girl friend down for xmas eve and day.......Katrina from Carlton...........we caught a Bartons bus to Tamworth,and went straight to my mates rented flat where he lived with his girlfriend, it was a huge place and when we got there the place was packed with my mates 'Brummy' pals...........never been made so welcome (he didnt think id come) before,........anyway everything was flowing and i mean everything lol,...........a fight broke out early on (nowt to do with me) it was taken outside where several more fights broke out.......the Police attended and carted several blokes off........soon after it all flared up again.......Police attended again.........and several more were taken away, cut a long story short by mid-night there were me,my mate,3 of his brummy pals and about 20 girls.............what a night.....suffice to say.........i only remember being woken by Katrina at about 6am..............in the bath wearing only a pair of Leather Gloves and they wer'nt mine.............she was crying,so what had gone off i still don't know............all ended happilly.....we all gathered at some pub in Tamworth at xmas day lunch time..........even the ones the Police carted off...........love Brummies as well as geezers,.........lost touch with my mate from Tamworth and his lovely girl friend Doreen.............happy days...........

Loppy had just lifted a ban on me,,,,so i related the above......love to do it again.........

• 3 months later...

Browsing thru old forums and saw this, started me thinking what I would like to relive. The obvious was the first time I saw my husband, he was painting the front room of his flat with the front door open and “You’re So Vain” blasting out. 
Other things:

Seeing the Rolling Stones for the first time and then meeting them as a 15 year old the 3rd time we saw them. I’m sure I would have thought of something to say this time instead of being struck dumb.

Seeing Gene Pitney live on stage, he was so handsome.
The long hot summer of ‘76 when I got married.

A Sunday with my mum and dad, radio blasting, mum doing Sunday dinner and dad rummaging for something in his shed. 
Holding my great niece for the first time ( I am not really a small baby fan but she took my heart right away).

Getting my two boys they were so special.
Putting in the final offer on my house in Nottingham, wouldn’t have offered what I did for it, in fact I probably wouldn’t have increased my offer. (Hindsight is a wonderful thing)

There are probably more things I would like to relive again but I might get too maudling!

• Like 1

Just reread the posts on this thread and what I wrote over 3 and a half years ago still stands.

I did feel sad that NewBasfordlad is no longer with us .....