• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only on Nottstalgia...........

Yes i know that John...........you are my cousin.......so much i could relate to you.......about your lovely family......and mine,.....last saw your Mam and Dad in Bulwell Coop..............daft as it

It's like one of those family reunited programmes on telly, great result. Seems to me Ben that you've inherited your innate sense of style from Grandad Jackson, but I doubt that he would have been an

Posted Images

As far as i know Jodi......no connections to Radford or Aspley........however Nell Jackson married George Cooper a Mansfield Fireman possibly pre 1940, and lived there for many years.....her children were Shirley,,June,,Melvin,, and Anne,.....think they all got Married in Mansfield........i was Page Boy for one of them about 1950...........at the Church at the bottom of the hill as you enter Mansfield from Nottingham..........any help ?

• Upvote 1

Think thats the one Jill..............nowadays its where the traffic lights are......straight on for football ground and Bus station  and i think on the right a Leisure centre................fancy that eh..........you and me may be related.........my cousin Carol always stood in as sub when i was between marriages,you know company dinner dances.....Cricket functions and the like........same age as me but very well preserved........quite funny really.....people thought ''ey-up dint take him long''........lol.............we'd hold hands and giggle like a courting couple..........lovely gel still see her.........love her in fact..........see Jill if we are related do you fancy doing some of cousin Carol's duty's.....if i'm ever ''alone again''................CARNIE........naturally'..............

• Like 2

OK John here goes,.........the Jackson kids and their spouses........could not want for nicer folk.........

Doris..........married Fred Booth.......lovely couple,........but you know that

Nell.............Married George Cooper of Mansfield a Fireman............Nell ended her days in Tuxford and the rest i believe now live in Ollerton

Joan.........me Mam married Ben me Dad at St Aidens southwark st in 1944......and spent all their married lives on Andover rd,..Mam passed 1994

Connie......Married Sonny Hopkins........and lived all their time together on Leybourne drive,.....i was born at their house

Rose..........Married Harry Shipley.......believe served with distinction WW2 in Italy.......big good looking bloke..worked at Rigleys after the war,great chap.

Marg..........Married Dick Barnes ex Navy, was a miner at Calverton where they lived,another hansom chap and good singer,at working mens clubs

Gwen.........Married Harold Langsdale,.ex Army and miner at Calverton,.great big bloke,.......always sang ''charlie brown'' at family party's....top man.....

Bill..............Married Irene who sadly died in the 60s,then Married June,remember Bill doing his national service and coming home in his uniform ,Army.

John...........the youngest of the jacksons.....was like an older brother to me,.....took me all over in the 50s to watch Forest......sadly passed at only 63....was Married to Eileen from Cork in Ireland,lovely lady known in the family as Irish Liz,fond memories.

• Like 1

Hope that gave you some pleasure John.............must admit typing it made me fill up.........i'm a proper 'Softie' about family............had to go down garden for a fag............sniff'.......i'm ok now............

• Upvote 2

Thanks Paul,thats lovely  ive heard most of those names over time,especially your Mam Aunty Joan,and Gwen and Rose It must run in the family as i get quite emotional when i think of the Family we have lost.They really were/are something special wont see their like again

• Like 2

Glad you enjoyed John...........they are all part of me..........growing up and into my teens and beyond........they were always there.........in the 50s we had many get to-gethers.........spontaneous party's.......mostly at Grandma's or me Mam and Dads.........some great singers amongst em.........Dick did frank sinatra    Harold did Bernard Bresslaw,......me Dad always sang 'siera sue',and red sails in the sunset,...Mam,Gwen,Marg, all the Beverley sisters stuff,john was in love with Ruby Murray........and Bill who is still with us........''i just called to say i love you'' which he sang to Donna the wife at the Railway club when he first met her.................oh John i could go on............

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Of course I wouldn't know his name but your description bought back some happy memories of going to the welfare with mum & dad, glass of lemonade and a packet of Smiths, blue bag included. If I remember correctly it was Saturday night hired in performers and Sundays people like your man Dick, some damn good performers to.

• Like 1

Just think John,.if i strayed in this conversation to mention our second cousins and Paternal Grandparents (which i wo'nt) and they all still lived in Bulwell,they would account for probably 5% of the population..............lol.

Hi Benj, had a nice letter from Baby Doris today. I had told her i had been in contact with you,and she told me lots about Aunty Joan.She said she was always at your Mams house,and when she married Uncle Ben she was one of her Bridemaids. She said when Uncle Ben was made redundant due to the train cuts, Aunty Joan said to her :wheres he going to get a job waving a flag all day; lol. But Baby Doris said Uncle Ben got work on the number 43 and 44 buses and would let her off paying when she got on his bus. She said Aunty Joan taught her how to knit pods, and was always there for her and would often come to our house.She said Aunty Joan and Blondie used to get on well together, both enjoying a smoke. Blondie Senior Service and Aunt Joan Park Drive. She said Aunty Joan was in the Land Army and used to visit our home at Back Cottages, she said she once came all dressed up for a dance,and said she looked like a film star to her. Baby Doris said shes got some lovely memories of your Mam Benj.

• Like 2

Ha thats wonderful John...........Mam (your Aunty Joan) and Dad loved baby Doris she was like a younger sister to them,.....Blonde i always liked as well....i remember his Mam that lived on Andover road...........Mrs Phillips ,always scared me as a kid,very stern lady......lol.

please give my lovely lovely baby Doris my best wishes.....i will call in to see her.

nice one John, keep it coming..............

edit     Yes Mam was a looker........her and Dad were in love with each other all their married lives........but never told each other enough,....Mam was boss and Dad liked that......he Tipped' (theres an old saying) his wages every week to Mam........

• Like 1

That is an old saying Benj tipping up, it was either that or paying board.I tipped up when i first started work but Mam never made anything as she would buy me my clobber and after giving me spending money be out of pocket (bless her) Baby Doris said she hasnt been in touch with you for around 15yrs and that she will see if she can find your number and give you a call

I'll PM you my number,............15 yrs blimey did'nt think it was that long..........i think i called in when i was store-detecting at the Coop on Southchurch drive,

When i started work 1960 i gave Mam £2 per week..........in 1967 when i moved out was still giving her £2 per week......she would never take any more........think i was on about £10 pw then............flash Harry with £8 to meself.........mind you never wasted it...........it all went on Birds,,drink and fags...............................lol.

• 3 years later...