Cliff ton,is there any "from above" pictures of the Albert street,Deptford street,Highbury picture house area of Highbury vale, I spent quite a bit of time there when I was a kid visiting my maternal grandparents

Rog

Thanks for the photo, its real nostalgia. I lived in Bulwell from 1942 to 1970, what I realise now is how little exploring of the place I did.

It is interesting to see how difficult it is to pick out the course of the River Lean.

In the early 1950's the factory near tha Adelphi was "The Bulwell Finishing Company".

The large building almost in the centre of the photo on the corner of Ragdale Road was "Christ Church" Methodist Church, it still exist but is now owned by a different denomination.

You can also pick out the Palace cinema towards the top left hand corner. I can only remember it as being closed, it later became a Co-op supermarket.

I have much enjoyed the photo, thanks again.

Brian.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, plantfit said:

Cliff ton,is there any "from above" pictures of the Albert street,Deptford street,Highbury picture house area of Highbury vale, 

Rog

Early 1950s. Not too sharp because it's been enlarged a lot, but you get the idea. I've labelled a couple of places to give a reference point.

S2HkPQ0.jpg

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, BulwellBrian said:

You can also pick out the Palace cinema towards the top left hand corner. I can only remember it as being closed, it later became a Co-op supermarket.

Is that a regular meeting place of the Bulwell contingent?

More my area, you can see the house I lived in on Henrietta Street, the diagonal road near the bottom right corner.

You can make out Makemson's coach garage on the other side of Piccadilly next to Highbury Road. Highbury Schools on Albert Street and the railway junction for the Bennerley line show bup well.

Thanks again Cliff.

Brian

Sorry TBI but I never went into that supermarket, only the one that was originally the Highbury Cinema as seen on Cliff Ton's second photo.

Brilliant photo CT,loads of memories coming back to me now,I can see my grandparents house and garden running alongside the school playground,at the end of the garden was a tall Bulwell stone wall that was the rear garden/back yard of my aunts house on Deptford street,up against the wall was a ladder to save walking up Albert street passed the picture house and down Deptford street to get to their house, the fence at the side of the railway lines where I sat looking at the steam trains go by and the concrete footbridge over the lines that I crossed with my fishing gear to get to the river Lean where it ran under the other rail line bridge,used to catch some nice roach there, you can just see the Lean in the top right corner of your picture,the picture house (the Highbury) where evry other Saturday me and my cousins (also lived on Albert street) would go and watch the cowboy films for sixpence each, across the road was a small shop up a few steps called Charlies cycles,thats where I got my puncture outfits from,so many memories just from one picture,that old saying is true,A picture is worth a thousand words, and for me a thousand memories

Rog

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, TBI said:

No Brian, not the co-op, I was thinking a bit more recent...lol

Sorry TBI I misunderstood. I have not been to Bulwell for many years, last time in the 90's was to visit my parents grave in Hempshill Lane.

I live in Hertfordshire near St. Albans and my health has been poor for years.

Brian.

Thinking about Albert street again where my maternal gradparents lived,about half way down on the left was a shop or it might just have been someones living room they turned into a bit of a shop,anyway,this shop sold a few sweets and ice creams but one of the things that sticks in my mind is the two stick suckers she used to sell,orange flavoured, they were like narrow orange ice sticks joined by a thin strip of orange ice,each with its own sucker stick,if you know what I mean,I can see the lady owner now if I close my eyes,she was slim with long black hair,not sure about her age but would imagine early thirties,her name was Eileen and she was very posh,she had a Siamese cat that she would take for a walk on a thin lead,never seen a cat on a lead before then,

The road was cobble stoned but I think the center might have been tarmaced over at some point,the edges nearest the curb was still visible cobble stones with black tar along the joints,in summer this tar would melt and it could be dug out using sucker sticks and rolled into balls to make marbles, the only drawback to making them was getting the tar on our clothes as well as ourselves, the obligatory good hiding off me mam followed by having some lard or marj rubbed into the tar to soften it enough to be scrubbed off, I remember on one occasion me dad came up with a new method of removing tar from my skin,it was called lighter fluid,this was used to  fuel his cigarette lighter with and it was also good for softening tar,problem was it left red marks where it had been rubbed in plus the smell was overpowering and made me light headed and feeling sick(It was petrol),whatever method and however many times I got a hiding it never stopped me making tar marbles.

There was a bit of a craze in the mid sixties for every boy to have a "spud gun" you had a small gun where you could press in the barrel to charge the gun,press a spud on the end of the barrel to "load" it with a small plug of spud,when you squeezed the trigger the barrel would shoot forward and through back pressure or inertia the spud plug would fly out like a little bullet,all the boys had one,different makes and designs but the same in principle,well there was one kid down Albert street who had the best spud gun money could buy, cocky little sod he was,one of them kids that had the best of everything and let everyone know about it,, a crowd of us were having a spud gun fight one Saturday afternoon when someone shot him in the face,he went into his house screaming,out came his mam and gave us all a clout in the earhole for shooting her little precious, not to be outdone one of the lads threw his spud at this woman hitting her on the head,you can imagine what happened after that,we were all grounded,had the spud guns confiscated and given the biggest good hiding we hever had, ah well such is life

Rog

• Like 1

Bet our relatives knew other Rog...............all the Jackson clan lived on Albert street pre-war,.....before moving to Bestwood estate 1940 ish...........

Could be related then Rog.............i mention all the names in 'the jacksons of Bulwell' thread.............any ring a bell ?

The only one I can remember was my uncle Albert,he lived about halfway down Albert street on the right hand side,Japanese prisoner of war, really affected him especially after he had a drink,if he was still alive he would be in his 90's now

Rog

• 2 years later...