6 hours ago, TBI said:

It's hard to imagine that Brutalist style was hugely popular everywhere in the 60s and 70s, for all sorts of public buildings, shopping and housing etc. Built and then demolished after twenty years. What a diabolical waste of money.

I remember delivering a colour telly to one of those flats about 1974. Came back thinking, bleddy ell, int Medders great.

I remember the Hyson Green Flats being built when I was still at junior school. On one occasion, I went with a friend to see someone who had just moved into one of the flats. I remember it vividly. It was like walking in an alien landscape. Nothing but reinforced concrete. Although I was only 11 years old at the time, the whole environment made me shudder. The walkways were horrible and the flats themselves a sea of sameness. I was glad to get out.

The little streets of terraced housing, deprived of amenities as they were, held real communities. If the vast amounts of money wasted on the flats had been utilised to upgrade those homes, I'm sure people would have been much happier. The terraces were sturdily built and would have been standing today. Within a few years, the flats had become an eyesore. Concrete doesn't mellow or weather, it just gets dirty and covered in graffiti!

• Like 4
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These are some of the roads which disappeared under the flats. Whether they could or should have been saved might be debatable.   Forest Street.   Lenton Street.  

I may have mentioned this story previously but in December 1947, my maternal grandmother was terminally ill with ovarian cancer. Mr John Barr Cochrane had operated on her at the City Hospital. He was

I find that families from war torn countries tend to want to intergrate, they know that a return to their home country as it was is nigh on impossible. I teach both adults and children english "from a

These are some of the roads which disappeared under the flats. Whether they could or should have been saved might be debatable.

Forest Street.

6U69mwu.jpg

Lenton Street.

E9oJynH.jpg

Lindsey Street.

lj9eDrb.jpg

Sheraton Row / Hyson Passage.

S0q8jkG.jpg

Lumley Street.

JVEHTBV.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

My mam lived in those flats, she moved from a terraced house with no bathroom, outside loo old house to a new one bedroom flat, being disabled she loved it, bathroom, loo & central heating. Only a few  people ruined HG flats.

• Like 1

The flats were new when I started at Manning. Even to my 11 year old eyes they were a monstrosity. I've never liked modern buildings. I can appreciate that some who were rehoused there gained central heating, running hot water, loos and bathrooms but those facilities could have been installed in the older properties without destroying the communities who lived there.

Was it Metropolitan Gas meters down one of those side streets? I went there as a EMGAS appro for a day just to see how gas meters were made.

Seem to remember it was on the right of the Green as you went out of town just above Gregory Blvd.

• 3 months later...

I recall the Hyson Green flats with mixed memories. Used to play there as a kid, so knew most of it. Come the early 80s, when there were riots, disturbances or just general messing about, I was a policeman. I was stationed at that time in Worksop.  Bearing in mind that my parents lived in Bobbers Mill Road at the time. The senior officer's idea was that officers from Bassetlaw were not going to be known in Hyson Green were they? 

My role was "keyholder" ie I carried a sledgehammer. I very clearly recall chasing a group of youths up the ramp shown in one of the previous photos, and seeing them disappear into a flat. I opened the flat door with some delicacy with about 3 thumps from the all purpose key, and faced a very old West Indian woman aiming a shotgun at us. As you can imagine, we didnt go much further. 

It was trendy at the time for the kids of West Indian origin to adapt a Jamaican accent so we heard "We beat de babylon" but normally their accept was a broad Nottingham as mine. 

Went back to Worksop, then on a weekend, went home to Hyson Green. The devil got into me and I went to the Cricketers for a pint, not to boast, or say I was a copper (suicidal behaviour if anything) but just to listen. I was recognised, but not as a copper, by a lad I had gone to school with and lived on Bobbers Mill Road. I wont say who, as the family name has been mentioned on this site, but the family were totally respectable, and of West Indian origin. I had a pint with this chap, and not a word was mentioned about the disturbance. Just a normal pub encounter. 

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Have you seen Nuneaton lately, or Bradford, Derby, Wolverhampton, Cardiff, Gateshead, Carlisle, Huddersfield or Luton ?

Forest away trips really highlight the worst of any town / city. The best was when Southampton played at The Dell. It was most affluent, akin to Parkside !

• 11 months later...

IMG-20200203-094657.jpg

Just read an unfavourable article about this area. Wrong thread I know but couldn't think where to put it. Somebody must shop there.