The Radford Road area was pretty disgusting when I was around Hyson Green (living on Sherwood Rise, working at Gerard's, Wilkinson St. 1974 - 78). It seems not to have improved.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These are some of the roads which disappeared under the flats. Whether they could or should have been saved might be debatable.   Forest Street.   Lenton Street.  

I may have mentioned this story previously but in December 1947, my maternal grandmother was terminally ill with ovarian cancer. Mr John Barr Cochrane had operated on her at the City Hospital. He was

I find that families from war torn countries tend to want to intergrate, they know that a return to their home country as it was is nigh on impossible. I teach both adults and children english "from a

On 2/10/2019 at 8:17 AM, radfordred said:

I'd take living with Polish on Hyson Green any day of the week over Ainsdale,  Eltham, Deepdene or Tilbury.  

I reckon most major Cities in the UK have their own version of Hyson Green and it will always be so.........Think our country would be boring if they did'nt.

Plus like everywhere there are some great honest hard working people living there,,,amongst all human life,,long may it remain.

• Like 1
Just now, benjamin1945 said:

there are some great honest hard working people living there,

I'd say the majority are decent people Ben but those that should have had a post natal termination seem to congregate there and ruin it for everyone. Like other areas there must be some sort of subliminal communication where 'wrong uns' seemingly have the ability to  to find each other and form little ghettos.

• Like 1

I lived in that area for a couple of years from 1965. Started married life in a flat on Burford road. I remember the knocking down some lovely houses on Berridge road, to build the flats. Reckon that's when the rot set in.

• Like 1

Last time I were up Nottingham, was driving along Western blvd, Valley rd toward Mansfield rd. December, last year. Couldn't help but notice all the way along, how much it had deteriorated, with loads of cars on the verge and car engines, fridges etc.,in the gardens. It used be lovely all along that route. Even our first house on Upton drive has altered beyond all recognition. All the gardens now overgrown. It's not always a good thing to look on Google maps, it could lead to disappointment. 

• Like 1

I'd agree with Beekay. The area went downhill in the 60s. It hasn't always had a bad reputation. Far from it.  As I've said before, my mother knew this area from childhood in the 1920s and lots of her school friends lived there. Their parents had high standards and their properties were well maintained.  It was also her mother's local shopping area with good shops which really obviated the need to go into Nottingham city centre.

The preponderance of large properties built during the Victorian era is, I think, partially to blame for the slide into a less salubrious neighbourhood. These were ideal for conversion into flats or bedsits and the standards held by their former owners and residents were no longer maintained. The building of the flats in the 60s didn't help.

I walked along Gregory Boulevard every weekday during my attendance at Manning. The area was on the slide then but I never felt unsafe or threatened. Not sure I would like to walk along that route, alone, today.

Nevertheless, I have very happy memories of the area. It wasn't always as it is now.

I didn't know Hyson Green in my earlier days - or if I did, I don't remember any of it.

First time I was aware of it was when my grandma moved into one of the newly-built flats in 1968. I only remember it being a maze of concrete walkways, pokey stairwells, and slab-sided boxes.

The big novelty was that her flat was on two levels...but upside down. You went in the front door where you found the living room and kitchen, then you went downstairs to the bedrooms.

She only stayed there a couple of years - which may say something about how the area was going. She then went to Willoughby Street flats in Lenton.

1 hour ago, jonab said:

Brew, on a somewhat larger scale there is a similar situation here - it's called Marseilles.

I've never been but I have heard various horror stories. I think Hyson Green is not  in the same league if even half the stories are true.

I agree with Jill's comments. I was born and grew up in Radford but close to Hyson Green. As a young child 'the green' was a good shopping area. Most shopping was done within a few hundred yards of home. There were corner shops of course but a coop and Wealthalls green grocer but the next step was to go to 'the green'. I’d go with my mum to Woolworths, Boots and Fords etc. It was a good place with no bother. As a teenager I had plenty of friends who lived on and near Birkin Avenue and off Radford Road. I went to Hyson Green Judo club for years which is bang opposite where Asda now is and  Hyson Green boys Club. I was up and down Berridge Road to Forest Fields school daily and remember the flats being built and visiting people I knew who lived in them. I drank in all the pubs on Radford Road, the Radford Arms and Langham. I barely noticed it at the time but certainly looking back no doubt there was a decline, the rot gathering pace from the late 60’s on. 

• 3 months later...

Mrs Red roped me in for a trip to the supermarket this afternoon “ Where we going?” “ Bridgford Asda” I’m driving so it’s Hyson Green Asda ..... nearer dint look happy :(

Noticed the locals we’re recreating that scene from the film “Grease” on the green on the corner of Radford Road &  Gregory Boulevard :crazy:

EYtndC3XYAEUTpg?format=jpg&name=large

Is that the gable end wall of what was Boot's in the 60s?  The corner plot has always been unbuilt on, so far as my memory goes back, although I believe there was once a structure there.

I always thought The Grand Theatre was where Woolworths used to be. Perhaps it encompassed that whole row of shops.  I heard my grandfather mention it when I was very young, usually when I was twirling about to music on the radio as a 2 year old! That always made him laugh.

This is what I used to twirl about to

• Like 1

Looks like it was 1 building back from the junction but if you compare it to the road on the right on both pictures the theatre would have been on the first piece of land next to the chemists where the gardens are now.

The Bank? on the far corner of the junction is still the same building.

The Auditorium stretched back behind the houses, now shops, on Gregory Blvd.

View from opposite side of road on this link.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/57164

jGsd4mn.jpg

• Like 3

Correct, Ian. It was indeed!

Interesting photo of the theatre. My grandfather, born in 1883, lived on Bridlington Street and Birkin Avenue. He knew the theatre well.  The much older building to the left side of the frame was clearly demolished to make way for Woolworths.

Funny that. I know the tune well, but don’t associate it with Woman’s Hour (when it was on in the afternoons.) I seem to remember they used “Dolly” by Faure. I have a vague recollection of The Party Mood being used on a morning request programme hosted by a comedian. He used to break in at the end to sing, “I’ll be with you all again tomorrow mor-ning”

Amazing what things you remember. Or is that mis-remember!?

9 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

Looks like it was 1 building back from the junction but if you compare it to the road on the right on both pictures the theatre would have been on the first piece of land next to the chemists where the gardens are now.

Remember the comment a few day ago about seeing my own work coming back at me ?? :)